Sorry for the provocative question, but how satisfied are you with Openhab

Hello openhab fans

Admittedly I am (maybe) too demanding (but) time and again I experience setbacks with openHAB 2.5.11 release build.

Now even after the ad on conbee 2 was not entirely ok and because I haven’t made an update for a long time. I brought my Raspberry Pi 3B + up to date. (in the hope that afterwards ZigBee will be completely ok) This hope was (unfortunately) not fulfilled either.
Unfortunately, I keep finding that I have to research for many hours because something does not work (anymore) that was previously stable.

[b] In my current experience, I (unfortunately) cannot recommend OPENHAB as a solution to someone who does not want to have to deal with system technology all the time. The approach is still a long way from plug and play. [/ B]

For me, who always likes to know what the system is doing or not doing ok, but I wouldn’t want to call it a stable solution,
Which solution have you had good experience with (good = works even if you make minor extensions or changes)

How do you see that?

2 Likes

Of course it’s not plug&play but powerful.
I moved from home assistant to openhab because over there stuff broke often on my setup. Still there are happy users over there en masse.

Home Assistant is more Plug and Play for sure, but I guess you would be happier with commercial appliances like Homey or Homee?

1 Like

I’m using openHAB since 2017 and had never such issues even after upating. Not even after upgrading to OH3
Thus I recommend it to all my friends how want to start with home automation and want to do a bit more than “switch that on if this is triggered”

Without referencing the issues such a claim is really unfair for everybody that is contributing to this project here. So it is a personal opinion and the majority of all users don’t have problems. If openHAB would be unstable for the majority of users there would already be a fix for it and a lot more complaints.

But I also agree that sometimes it can be a bit frustrating. Especially if after upgrading something isn’t working anymore. But everytime it happend to me (like once) it clearly was mentioned in the release notes and also mentioned how to get rid of it.

What goal are you trying to achieve with this post?

open source maintainers have thick skins.

I use multiple running instances of home automation software. Like OH 2 3, HA and node red. just link them all together and use the easiest one to do the task you want it to do

2 Likes

Sorry but I have clearly described what did not work after an update.

My 10 zigbee sensors worked perfectly. Except for the ad in the raspberry. That’s why I made UPDATE.

And now I cannot use my zigbee at all when no connection is established.

I mean that’s a clear description OR.
That is why I cannot accept “Without referencing the issues”.

And such cases (which I don’t want to go into here) keep coming back

1 Like

Sorry but I have clearly described what did not work after an update.

My 10 zigbee sensors worked perfectly. Except for the ad in the raspberry. That’s why I made UPDATE.

And now I cannot use my zigbee at all when no connection is established.

I mean that’s a clear description OR.
That is why I cannot accept “Without referencing the issues”.

And such cases (which I don’t want to go into here) keep coming back

Keeping in mind I do not pay for it (with money) as for a solution I can buy in a shop I am very satisfied.

Before I started my home automation experiment I took a look at what was available, commercially as well as open source. I’ve choosen OH due to:

• no vendor lock-in, I can choose from a very broad range of technologies and vendors
  • no obligatory cloud connection, thus protecting my privacy and no dependency to a vendors server availability or availability of my own internet connection

I knew I had to “pay a price”, as it is open-source and there is no professional support I can ask (professional in the sense I have a paid service, telephone contact etc.). But making my experience with the forum here and the support I got I do not miss that. In the contrary, I made better experiences here with the volunteers than with some support teams I had to do deal with in my job.

As to your upgrade experience: I agree, updates have some issues. But I cannot expect that an open-source software can be tested as thouroughly as say a Windows upgrade. I have a second OH installation where I test upgrades and when I know everything works as expected and I’ve ironed out the issues from the upgrade, then knowing what I need to do in my “working installation”, I upgrade the latter.

Do you mean the deconz binding perhaps?

Well they have to but do they?
Even where they do it doesn’t turn unfair claims on their workpiece into valid ones.
Let alone it’s motivating.

1 Like

I think I already told you what your issue is: Phoscon-GW zigbee is not running after raspberry update - #4 by J-N-K

If you don‘t show your config, nobody can help you. I‘m out.

4 Likes

I am very satisfied with OpenHab. It doesn’t crash, performance is good, and support is excellent.

Are there things to improve ? Certainly, but this forum is a good way to discuss them.

4 Likes

After diving into openHABian code I learned I don’t know 1/10th of how hard it is to work on. I have a huge appreciation for what you have done and achieved. My opinion to you is valuable because I see and have read the effort you have put into it.

Yes you need and have a thick skin and you decide on the value his opinion has. I not going to defend maintainers work as their work can speak for itself.

I am not sure what gives you the motivation to keep up the quality work you do on your own time.

I have always received good feedback from the maintainers and they respond to people like a mirror. I try to always over research a problem before I ask a question probably because we are the same generation.

You will always hear of bad experiences and only a small percentage of good ones. I hope that you don’t get discouraged from single comments. I think the main issue is the lack of documentation reading on behalf of new users maybe some pretty pictures would help.

1 Like

Sorry I send two trace to you. Please inform me what you need to see. You get everything you need

You posted 4 hours ago with no details. Volunteer developers are not just waiting for a problem to solve. Without following forum guidelines NOBODY can help you. It appears you would be happier with a paid solution. We will be happy to refund the money paid for the openHAB software.

The Zigbee developer is very busy. As somebody who assist him I am lucky to hear from him once or twice a day because of the incredible load he has consuming any free time. I do know he is preparing to move Internationally. I cannot imagine the logistics involved doing that in today’s environment.

Sorry but I mean there is a misunderstanding here. I did not complain, but responded to a statement that I could not understand because, according to my perception, I provided the information that was requested.
That’s why I asked what was still needed.

"If you don‘t show your config, nobody can help you. I‘m out. "

That is what I mean about not following the forum guidelines, especially about how to ask a good question. You just alienated one of the main OH developers.

How to ask a good question / Help Us Help You - Tutorials & Examples - openHAB Community

He is using the deconz binding.

Sorry, I did not relate that to Zigbee. Apologies.

1 Like

Hi there
Although I am experienced in IT systems and programming, I am clearly not experienced enough to classify what information you need to help me.

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

ZigBee is inherently stable. (Sensors and switches as well as rules)

After UPDATE from RASPBERRY, the coupling works from time to time (but very rarely and not at all at the moment) appkey is not exchanged when defining Thing in deConz (as described and as I always did before)

I switched on Trace as suggested and sent a log file. Have I misunderstood what is needed?

Hello Franz,
OpenHab has come a long way. With a fresh installation of OH3 (docker recommended) you will have a slick and nice system.
Surely this is not for the faint hearted. If you just want to switch some lights or make temperature readings there are much easier solutions around (Tasmota, NodeRed for example).
But if you want full control from power consumption to multimedia devices OH3 is the way to go and much worth the effort. Learning is the second most enjoyable experience anyway.
Regards Erhard