Stability -- openhab knows nothing but crapping itself

Fortunatly, you dont build smart-homes by the use of cheese :smiley:

Exactly why I have stayed away from Windoze and stick with linux. It is much more stable and constant updates aren’t a thing (or, typically do not require a system reboot when there are updates.) :wink:

1 Like

Have a very simular system, (almost same bindings and services) except I use an Rpi3B+.
Openhab runs just fine for weeks, specially after I made a totally fresh install.
I use config files as well, as I hate PaperUI, except for discoverings things. And since I use alot of tags for Google Assistant connection, config files are needed as well.

1 Like

Well, Boeing’s problem was reducing their quality control on their developed software, not on the OS. And that part of the plain is running some real time operating system, not Linux.

When I wrote that, I was actually thinking more of at traffic control systems than on board for by the systems.

But this also points to my stressing over the unsupportable expectations people have with OH. Boeing reduced some of the checks on their developed software running it through less quality control. But the testing and working control it did go through is more than probably any other commercial software you’ve ever used had gone through. And still a major big for through.

But you can write Fortran in any language. :wink:

Just to rid on this a bit, just because it’s old doesn’t mean it’s not good. Take COBOL for example. COBOL runs the world’s financial system to this day. Why? Because by default the language has perfect floating point precision to two decimal places. Attempts to replace it with something more modern have largely failed because other languages come up with the won’t, and a lower answer. Being wrong by a fraction of a penny can result in billions of $ of lost revenue in the course of a day.

Indeed, Java, Python, and others have introduced fixed point numbers, but almost none of the vast array of libraries it there use them. If you want a great career and be in high demand, learn some COBOL and work for a bank.

It will get more attention and be easier to find if you pay it in its own thread.

No but it should set the expectations for how much testing and quality control rigor had gone into each release.

An industrial control system will have gone through far more testing and qc than any product made for the home. And for OS projects like this, qc is actually quite minimal.

If you can come up with a way to force developers to work on qc and testing instead of the “fun” stuff without losing them to some other project then no, it’s an explanation, not an excuse.

What problems do you have? Perhaps there is something the foundation can do to make it easier.

This is all a little off topic, but I suspect the real reason here is simply heritage. Big systems don’t like to change as it’s costly, and is likely to introduce errors. It doesn’t mean that newer languages can’t, or don’t, have the same precision as this is an IEEE standard format that is generally used across all languages.

Good idea :slight_smile:

I can’t find the article that I read a a year or so ago that actually took a deep dive into this. But COBOL can use IEEE floating point representations for numbers, but it was designed to use fixed point be default. In IEEE floating point format, where you have a mantissa and exponent, there are some floating point numbers that simply cannot be represented. For example in IEEE format it is impossible to represent exactly 9.2. You cannot come up with two integral values for a mantissa and exponent that will exactly equal 9.2. With a fixed point representation (lets say two decimal places) you can exactly represent 9.2, but you cannot represent 9.205 or even approximate it. You can only have 9.20 or 9.21.

This is just some random person’s blog posting, but it is in line with other stuff I’ve read. Is COBOL holding you hostage with Math? | by Marianne Bellotti | The Technical Archaeologist | Medium

If you do a search for “Java fixed point” you will see it’s kind of a mess. It’s less of a mess in Python but even though the language itself supports fixed point math pretty well, most of the libraries use IEEE format. In financial systems you need fixed point from end to end or you start to lose fractions of a penny.

Hello,

I have problems with openhab2 (version 2.4.0) too. I had no problems before. As I’m lazy and I don’t want to spend more time trying to fix the issue, I just have a cron that restart openhab2 every 4 hours.

It works fine except that sometime the lights are not responsive :slight_smile: I need to try again after a few minutes…

As root: crontab -e
35 */4 * * * /etc/init.d/openhab2 restart

In my case it seams related to the mqtt binding.

I would not like to force anyone at all. But I do have some expectations, no matter how much or less a piece of software cost… But this is a typical subject to be discussed in any open source/free projects… Often the users who complaints are beeing told not to expect anything or pay. But it´s wrong to see it like this in my opinion. If I (as a user) stop expect anything, then I might as well drop the software. It´s pointless continuing, unless you already have the piece of software you need. And then the developement will stop as well, cause there would be noone left to test it.
I thought, then “fun” stuff, is to see others using a piece of software/binding/whatever, and be pleased with it! What may not seem “fun” is how to archive this goal…

I just read the pages again… I thought the formular for becoming a member was going to be send with fax… I see now thats not the case… It´s suggest to be send using email.
One thing I cant find though - How to stop the membership?

My understanding from one of the maintainers is that using the Paper UI to put entities into the JsonDB is more efficient for the OpenHAB system than parsing the text files.

That is both a pro and a con. From what I have observed (never looked at the code) the text files are parsed every time you restart, which is an advantage if you are updating JAR files that have different channels and config parameters as a reboot will instantly ensure that what is in the jsonDB matches the newer or older JAR. Since I am changing binding version often this matches what I do.

Using PaperUI places it in the jsonDB and yes it will boot faster, BUT if you change JARs you get a mismatch of what is in the jsonDB VS what should be there to match the binding.

After the system has started I don’t believe you will notice a different between the two methods, it is purely a longer time to restart and by longer it may be 1 second difference.

1 Like

Kim, is this what your are talking about?

edit to add:
I was not posting in this thread because the title is vulgar. It has turned into a relatively productive discussion however. It seems the original poster has left the building but if you are still reading this thread please change the title of your thread or an admin maybe can because it is offensive o people who believe in this software
thank you
andy

1 Like

For developers, the fun stuff is solving some problem using code. Everything else is an imposition. The testing, the documentation, and all the rest is what you have to do. It’s not the fun part. So you will find in this and any other pure open source protect that the testing and the documentation gets neglected.

That’s just the nature of the personality.

You would probably be surprised how far down in the list “making users happy” is on the list of motivations for open source contributors.

If you find an open source project with good documentation and testing then I’ll show you a project with corporate backing with people who are paid to do these things.

That’s a good question. I think sending an email to the foundation email on the website (info@openhabfoundation.org) should be sufficient.

On RPis and other SBCs the difference can be tens of minutes, though this is assuming using NGRE or JSR223 instead of Rules DSL.

If the op wants to change it that is their perogative. But I see nothing that volatiles the community standards in the title. "Crapping itself"is a commonly used idom from software that repeatedly crashes and therefore it is an accurate description of what the op experienced. The title isn’t saying OH is crap, it’s saying that oh repeatedly crashes.

I just don’t see how it is offensive. “Crap” isn’t even usually considered to be a “bad word”, at least anywhere I’ve ever lived. Maybe it’s closer to other stronger words in other parts of the English speaking world.

As a moderator, I don’t feel like it’s my place to censor this topic.

1 Like

Thanks for admitting. Quite a number of power users run stable OH installations although making wide use of advanced OH functionality.
To me that’s proof that OH is not inherently bad or broken and most people to claim just want to disguise the fact that they’re unwilling to invest enough of their time to get it to work.

See if restarting the MQTT bundle from Karaf console solves your problem. If so you can issue that via cron (instead of restarting everything).

No, the constitution says that a membership can be canceled by sending an E-Mail to the president (president@openhabfoundation.org or membership@openhabfoundation.org) [the addresses are not listed in the constitution]. Memberships can be terminated by end of a year only.

1 Like

I wouldn´t know, as I have been using text files for quite some time… It gives me a much better overview, and it gives me a chance to have fully control of each items, devices etc… A simple operation like inserting tags, is so easy, but impossible in PaperUI.

I was pretty sure I read somewhere to use fax. Maybe it was just someone suggesting that…
Paypal isn´t possible if you´re in a country which support BIC/Switft code. Then you´ll need to use your bank account information and send it as an email. The idea of using email is a bit of a risky chance however. I see no where suggesting anything else.

I see no reason to join an open source project, and having the attitude you´re talking about… Make absolutly no sense to me. The developers you talk about, are/should be those who develope for their own good.
But you´re right, it´s all down to personality.

Some years ago, I joined the Joomla project. https://www.joomla.org/
This is one specific project I remember was very focused on developing as well as documentation, and helping people. It is/was however, a very big project with very much support from commercial companies as well.

Shouldn´t have been a question - The answer should have been in the documents, somewhere. Hopefully I have overlooked it somewhere, but I dont thing so :slight_smile:

You did, it is in the foundations constitution.

I run 16 different bindings and have over 80 things running without having to ever restart my system, i would suggest you look at your config.