My point of view of Openhab2, stability and a few good to know stuff

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007faeda453ba8> #<Tag:0x00007faeda4539f0>

I have been working with openhab2.5 testing and openhab2.5-SNAPSHOT. And I have to say it is really stable for me. And I’m also using a bunch of bindings and other services (See lists below)

My “production” server are running openhab2.5-testing and has been running for the past 8 days with no issues. But I think it has had over a month uptime
My “development” server are running openhab2.5-SNAPSHOT and are getting restarted often. But 2 - 3 days has not been any problem

But I do not like to use the PaperUI. So I spend some time in the documentation and wrote all my configs in files and only using UI to check if icons and links was looking correct

But it is a really good idea to restart and clear the cache while configuring as some things could get a but strange after too many changes.

I made a small script to easy restart openhab2 (restart_openhab.sh)

About java, I did start using openjdk-11-jre-headless . But I got alot of errors in the log. But after switching to openjdk-8-jre-headless everything was great

And the community is also a great place to get help if you can’t find the answer you are looking for

Hope some of you can use this, else feel free to send me a message and I will try to help if you have any issues with stability or with the bindings/service I’m using :slight_smile:

restart_openhab.sh [soft | hard]:

#!/bin/bash
timeStamp=$(date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
logFile="/tmp/restart_openhab.log"
logString=""

action=${1}

service openhab2 stop
case ${action} in
        hard | HARD)
                rm -rf /var/lib/openhab2/cache/*
                rm -rf /var/lib/openhab2/tmp/*
                echo "y" | openhab-cli clean-cache
                sleep 2
        ;;

soft | SOFT)
                sleep 5
        ;;

*)
                action="Default"
                sleep 2
        ;;
esac

logString="${timeStamp} - Restarting Openhab ${action}"
echo ${logString}
echo ${logString} >> ${logFile}

chown -R openhab. /etc/openhab2/*
service openhab2 start

System (VM):

• Ubuntu server 18.04 LTS
  • 4 core
  • 2 GB ram
  • 20 GB SSD

Extra packages:

• openjdk-8-jdk-headless
  • openjdk-8-jre-headless
  • mosquitto
  • mosquitto-clients
  • mono-complete
  • unzip
  • zip
  • nut-snmp
  • python-nut
  • nut-xml
  • nut-monitor
  • nut-ipmi
  • nut-cgi
  • python-pip
  • python-dev
  • build-essential
  • python-setuptools
  • python3-pip
  • mysql-common
  • php7.2-cli

Bindings:

• networkupstools1
  • unifi
  • chromecast
  • mqtt
  • openweathermap
  • http1
  • sonyaudio
  • astro
  • mihome
  • systeminfo
  • kodi
  • ihc
  • verisure

Other services:

• openhabcloud
  • restdocs
  • jdbc-mysql
  • influxdb
  • map
  • javascript
  • jsonpath
  • regex
  • exec
  • googletts
  • pushbullet
2 Likes

An update if you use mysql/JDBC persistence

Some item tables won’t be created if you are using mysql and your database is created with utf8 character set. I altered my database to latin1 character set and then every thing was much better :slight_smile:

I don’t know if this is of any help?

alter database openhab character set=latin1;

The error I got was something like this:

java.sql.SQLException: Column length too big for column 'value' (max = 21845); use BLOB or TEXT instead Query: CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS verisure_user_email_00333 (time TIMESTAMP(3) NOT NULL, value VARCHAR(65500), PRIMARY KEY(time)) Parameters: []

How did I miss your first post 9 days ago? very excellent assessment and thank you

Yes, I agree, when I am hacking away at the setup, sometimes after multiple changes, things get a little sideways and a restart brings everything back to being in order

Also very useful list of services and bindings you use. Thanks for reporting and I also agree and find OpenHAB real stable.

If I could ask one little favor, I have a ups and am familiar with using nut but that was a while back and I’ve never tried to write a OH1 thing file. Is there anyway I could take a look at your nut thing file?