Starting OH2 service on Ubuntu 14.04

I have an Ubuntu 14.04 on which I have installed OH2 (currently 2.0.0~20160916004455).

The startup script in /etc/init.d only starts the web server (port 8080) for IPv6. I’m still using IPv4, so I can’t access the server at all.

However, if I start OH2 using start.sh in /usr/share/openhab2 the IPv4 server is started correctly.

Anyone got a fix?

Steve

Sounds good. openHAB should be available on IPv4. Could it be, that another process is already active on port 8080 on IPv4? You can check by stopping openHAB and then checking open ports with netstat.

Hi Thom

Thanks for your feedback. You made me think again, which is always good.

I know very little about IPv6 and have spent the last 20 years avoiding it. But somehow my default installation of Ubuntu 14.04 has not only installed it but also manages to map its addresses to my otherwise purely IPv4 LAN.

So, although Jetty runs on port 8080 on an IPv6 address (for whatever reason) it does now work, both as a service from /etc/init.d/openhab2 and from the command line with start.sh. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth, as they say. I must have been trying to access the server too soon after startup and clearly reached the wrong conclusion. Sorry. Everything is OK.

Steve

Glad it worked out :wink: