State of Eclipse IDE for openHAB development?

My Eclipse development environment is broken, and I can’t figure out what has happened, or what to do about it. It seems to have recently upgraded itself to Neon, and appeared to work well enough for a few days, but now it’s failing with

Errors occurred during the build.
Errors running builder 'Plug-in Manifest Builder' on project 'org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.digitalstrom'.
java.lang.NullPointerException
Errors running builder 'Plug-in Manifest Builder' on project 'org.eclipse.smarthome.binding.fsinternetradio'.
java.lang.NullPointerException

Which leads to countless errors of course.

And upon trying to just reinstall the whole thing, the first step in the IDE setup instructions – download the Eclipse installer – leads to this:

Is there anything that I can do individually, or that we can do collectively, to yield a stable, reliable development environment that doesn’t upgrade itself without asking, doesn’t break itself, that allows us to reinstall it from a known working starting point, etc.? Have developers just gotten used to the situation where the IDE becomes an ongoing issue in itself? I suppose it’s at least worth more than the price I paid, but still…

Thank you,
John

I was really surprised last Saturday when I restarted Eclipse to discover that Eclipse.Neon had been installed without asking me anything.
I think it was just to reformat a source code so I have not done a lot of tests.

Once the Eclipse installer was again available, I performed a complete re-install and that sorted out the problem. Thanks for replying.