Still Trying to Understand Concepts- Getting Errors When Not Expected

Hi,

Update: Still had the simple mode enabled and therefore wrong items. Fixed this now and it is working as expected. Stupid me. Damn.

sorry again to bother you with so many (possibly stupid issues) but I a m still struggling with the concepts and where to put an item, a channel a swithc or whatever.

You guys recommended to disable in PaperUI the “Simple Linking Mode”. So I did and removed all items (ehhhmmm… THINGS) in the PaperUI, remove all files from ./items and ./rules and really started from scratch.

So first I will show you what I have and how I have it configured.

Configuration

1. Created Things

Here, I went to add new things and discoverd through the Enocean binding my Nodon In Wall Module with both switching channels. Under PaperUI - Configuration - Things I can see it now with both switching channels:

2. Created Items

I added a file called KNEBB.items under ./items where I used the channel IDs from step 1 (see there)

Switch Switch_EG_Kueche_Licht "Nodon In Wall Module 1 - Channel 1" <light> { channel = "enocean:measurementSwitch:FTB3SXG:05194E91:generalSwitchA"}
Switch Switch_EG_Vorratsraum_Licht "Nodon In Wall Module 1 - Channel 2" <light> { channel = "enocean:measurementSwitch:FTB3SXG:05194E91:generalSwitchB"}

Items file got loaded succfessfully as openhab.log shows:

2020-04-26 10:04:07.926 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Loading model 'KNEBB.items'
2020-04-26 10:04:09.013 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Refreshing model 'KNEBB.items'

3. Created Sitemap

I added a sitemap with the following:

sitemap Demo label="Demo"
{
        Switch item=Switch_EG_Kueche_Licht label="Küche (Licht)"
        Switch item=Switch_EG_Vorratsraum_Licht label="Vorratsraum (Licht)"
}

Which loaded fine, too:

2020-04-26 10:06:02.655 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Loading model 'Demo.sitemap'
2020-04-26 10:06:03.738 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Refreshing model 'Demo.sitemap'

4. Basic functionality given

Now I can use the BaasicUI to switch my lights on and off just as needed. When switches on manually I see the state in the BasicUI getting updated. Seems to be working perfect for me.

5. Creating rules

Now to use rules I create a rule file:

rule "Auto-OFF Vorratsraum"
when
        Item Switch_EG_Vorratsraum_Licht changed to ON
then
        logInfo("KNEBB","Speiseraum AN")
end

Which loaded fine and logs when the configured Item triggers:

2020-04-26 10:09:05.506 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Loading model 'vorratsraum.rules'
2020-04-26 10:09:06.732 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Refreshing model 'vorratsraum.rules'
2020-04-26 10:09:15.764 [INFO ] [eclipse.smarthome.model.script.KNEBB] - Speiseraum AN

So, looks perfect, doesn’t it?

Issue

The issue arises when I try to send a command to the switch rule based (again, through BasicUI I can switch my lights on an off just as desired).

I added another action to the rules file which looks like this now:

when
then
        Switch_EG_Kueche_Licht.sendCommand(ON)
end

Which will end up in thousands of NullPointerExceptions by just loading the changed file. And obviously the rule is not enabled and does not work.

So I am still doing something really wrong here. But what did I get wrong? Why is my sendCommand wrong (the exceptions points me the command refers to an non-existing item). But item is configured (and used by BasicUI).

Marking this as “solved” as the simple mode was still activated.

Fixed ba deactivating and starting from scratch again. Figured this out through the openaHab console and typing “items list”.

For step 4, especially since you have a sitemap, use the Basic UI. The Paper UI is just for administration of openHAB.
Both are expected to be replaced in openHAB 3.

1 Like

Hi,

thanks, but yes in Step 4 I am using BasicUI.

I am still having the same issue as described above- but now with manually linked items through channels to things.

Everything is working fine, but as sson as it try MyItem.sendCommand my OpenHAB crashes. No matter which Item I use in my rules.

:cold_face:

So as summarizing to the first post here some information from within the console:

openhab> things list
enocean:bridge:FTB3SXG (Type=Bridge, Status=ONLINE, Label=Enocean USB300 Dongle (FTB3SXG), Bridge=null)
enocean:mechanicalHandle:FTB3SXG:FEF70304 (Type=Thing, Status=ONLINE, Label=Eltako 1 FTKE, Bridge=enocean:bridge:FTB3SXG)
enocean:measurementSwitch:FTB3SXG:05194E91 (Type=Thing, Status=ONLINE, Label=Nodon In Wall Module 2-Channel, Bridge=enocean:bridge:FTB3SXG)
openhab> links list
Schalter_EG_Vorratsraum_Licht -> enocean:measurementSwitch:FTB3SXG:05194E91:generalSwitchB
Eltako2 -> enocean:mechanicalHandle:FTB3SXG:FEF70304:contact
Schalter_EG_Kueche_Licht -> enocean:measurementSwitch:FTB3SXG:05194E91:generalSwitchA
Eltako1 -> enocean:mechanicalHandle:FTB3SXG:FEF70304:windowHandleState
openhab> items list
Eltako2 (Type=ContactItem, State=OPEN, Label=Eltako 2, Category=light)
Eltako1 (Type=StringItem, State=OPEN, Label=Eltako 1, Category=text)
Schalter_EG_Vorratsraum_Licht (Type=SwitchItem, State=OFF, Label=Nodon In Wall Module 1 - Channel 2, Category=light)
Schalter_EG_Kueche_Licht (Type=SwitchItem, State=OFF, Label=Nodon In Wall Module 1 - Channel 1, Category=light)

So what type do I have to use in my rule definition???

Thanks again!

/KNEBB

As soon as I enable one of my items in the rule OpenHAB is crashing with the following error messages:

2020-04-26 19:20:14.445 [ERROR] [xbase.resource.BatchLinkableResource] - resolution of uriFragment '|::0.2.0.2.0.0::0::/2' failed.
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.ScriptServiceUtil.getActionServices(ScriptServiceUtil.java:111) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.scoping.ActionClassLoader.loadClass(ActionClassLoader.java:37) ~[?:?]
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_212]
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:348) ~[?:1.8.0_212]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.access.impl.ClassFinder.forName(ClassFinder.java:41) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.access.impl.ClassFinder.forName(ClassFinder.java:15) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.access.impl.AbstractClassFinder.forName(AbstractClassFinder.java:43) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.access.reflect.ReflectionTypeProvider.findClassByName(ReflectionTypeProvider.java:155) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.access.reflect.ReflectionTypeProvider.doFindTypeByName(ReflectionTypeProvider.java:116) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.access.reflect.ReflectionTypeProvider.findTypeByName(ReflectionTypeProvider.java:109) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.xtext.AbstractTypeScope.getSingleElement(AbstractTypeScope.java:59) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.xtext.AbstractTypeScope.getSingleElement(AbstractTypeScope.java:54) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.common.types.xtext.AbstractTypeScope.getElements(AbstractTypeScope.java:73) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.scoping.impl.AbstractScope.getElements(AbstractScope.java:137) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.scoping.impl.ScopeBasedSelectable.getExportedObjects(ScopeBasedSelectable.java:40) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.scoping.impl.ImportScope.getLocalElementsByName(ImportScope.java:154) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.scoping.impl.ImportScope.getSingleLocalElementByName(ImportScope.java:142) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.scoping.impl.AbstractScope.getSingleElement(AbstractScope.java:105) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.scoping.impl.AbstractScope.getSingleElement(AbstractScope.java:108) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.scoping.impl.AbstractScope.getSingleElement(AbstractScope.java:108) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.scoping.batch.TypeLiteralScope.getLocalElementsByName(TypeLiteralScope.java:48) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.scoping.batch.AbstractSessionBasedScope.getElements(AbstractSessionBasedScope.java:174) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.scoping.batch.AbstractSessionBasedScope$1.get(AbstractSessionBasedScope.java:180) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.scoping.batch.AbstractSessionBasedScope$1.get(AbstractSessionBasedScope.java:177) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.scoping.impl.AbstractScope$ParentIterable.iterator(AbstractScope.java:60) ~[?:?]
        at com.google.common.collect.FluentIterable$3$1.get(FluentIterable.java:296) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at com.google.common.collect.FluentIterable$3$1.get(FluentIterable.java:293) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at com.google.common.collect.AbstractIndexedListIterator.next(AbstractIndexedListIterator.java:77) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at com.google.common.collect.Iterators$ConcatenatedIterator.hasNext(Iterators.java:1330) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at com.google.common.collect.Iterators$5.computeNext(Iterators.java:635) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at com.google.common.collect.AbstractIterator.tryToComputeNext(AbstractIterator.java:141) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at com.google.common.collect.AbstractIterator.hasNext(AbstractIterator.java:136) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at com.google.common.collect.Iterators$ConcatenatedIterator.hasNext(Iterators.java:1321) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.AbstractTypeComputationState.getLinkingCandidates(AbstractTypeComputationState.java:412) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.computation.XbaseTypeComputer._computeTypes(XbaseTypeComputer.java:1226) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.computation.XbaseTypeComputer.computeTypes(XbaseTypeComputer.java:112) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.jvmmodel.ScriptTypeComputer.computeTypes(ScriptTypeComputer.java:38) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.AbstractTypeComputationState.doComputeTypes(AbstractTypeComputationState.java:121) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.AbstractTypeComputationState.computeTypes(AbstractTypeComputationState.java:109) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.AbstractTypeComputationState$1.getActualType(AbstractTypeComputationState.java:403) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.scoping.batch.FeatureScopes.createFeatureCallScopeForReceiver(FeatureScopes.java:215) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.scoping.batch.FeatureScopes.createFeatureCallScope(FeatureScopes.java:92) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.scoping.batch.AbstractFeatureScopeSession.createFeatureCallScope(AbstractFeatureScopeSession.java:177) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.scoping.batch.AbstractFeatureScopeSession.getScope(AbstractFeatureScopeSession.java:48) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.ScopeProviderAccess.getCandidateDescriptions(ScopeProviderAccess.java:142) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.AbstractTypeComputationState.getLinkingCandidates(AbstractTypeComputationState.java:409) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.computation.XbaseTypeComputer._computeTypes(XbaseTypeComputer.java:1226) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.computation.XbaseTypeComputer.computeTypes(XbaseTypeComputer.java:112) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.jvmmodel.ScriptTypeComputer.computeTypes(ScriptTypeComputer.java:38) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.AbstractTypeComputationState.doComputeTypes(AbstractTypeComputationState.java:121) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.AbstractTypeComputationState.computeTypes(AbstractTypeComputationState.java:109) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.computation.XbaseTypeComputer._computeTypes(XbaseTypeComputer.java:491) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.computation.XbaseTypeComputer.computeTypes(XbaseTypeComputer.java:118) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.AbstractRootTypeComputationState.computeTypes(AbstractRootTypeComputationState.java:32) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.LogicalContainerAwareReentrantTypeResolver._computeTypes(LogicalContainerAwareReentrantTypeResolver.java:827) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.LogicalContainerAwareReentrantTypeResolver.computeTypes(LogicalContainerAwareReentrantTypeResolver.java:711) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.LogicalContainerAwareReentrantTypeResolver.computeMemberTypes(LogicalContainerAwareReentrantTypeResolver.java:897) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.LogicalContainerAwareReentrantTypeResolver._computeTypes(LogicalContainerAwareReentrantTypeResolver.java:886) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.LogicalContainerAwareReentrantTypeResolver.computeTypes(LogicalContainerAwareReentrantTypeResolver.java:705) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.LogicalContainerAwareReentrantTypeResolver.computeTypes(LogicalContainerAwareReentrantTypeResolver.java:697) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.DefaultReentrantTypeResolver.resolve(DefaultReentrantTypeResolver.java:164) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.DefaultReentrantTypeResolver.reentrantResolve(DefaultReentrantTypeResolver.java:139) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.CachingBatchTypeResolver$LazyResolvedTypes.resolveTypes(CachingBatchTypeResolver.java:80) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.CachingBatchTypeResolver$2.process(CachingBatchTypeResolver.java:57) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.CachingBatchTypeResolver$2.process(CachingBatchTypeResolver.java:53) ~[?:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.util.concurrent.IUnitOfWork$Void.exec(IUnitOfWork.java:37) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.util.OnChangeEvictingCache.execWithoutCacheClear(OnChangeEvictingCache.java:128) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.CachingBatchTypeResolver.doResolveTypes(CachingBatchTypeResolver.java:53) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.typesystem.internal.AbstractBatchTypeResolver.resolveTypes(AbstractBatchTypeResolver.java:69) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.resource.BatchLinkingService.resolveBatched(BatchLinkingService.java:60) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.resource.BatchLinkingService.resolveBatched(BatchLinkingService.java:41) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.resource.BatchLinkableResource.getEObject(BatchLinkableResource.java:117) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.getEObject(ResourceSetImpl.java:223) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.EcoreUtil.resolve(EcoreUtil.java:199) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.EcoreUtil.resolve(EcoreUtil.java:259) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.impl.BasicEObjectImpl.eResolveProxy(BasicEObjectImpl.java:1477) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.impl.XAbstractFeatureCallImplCustom.getFeature(XAbstractFeatureCallImplCustom.java:48) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.impl.XAbstractFeatureCallImpl.eGet(XAbstractFeatureCallImpl.java:490) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.xbase.impl.XMemberFeatureCallImpl.eGet(XMemberFeatureCallImpl.java:457) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.impl.BasicEObjectImpl.eGet(BasicEObjectImpl.java:1011) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.impl.BasicEObjectImpl.eGet(BasicEObjectImpl.java:1003) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.EContentsEList$FeatureIteratorImpl.hasNext(EContentsEList.java:439) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.EObjectValidator.validate_EveryReferenceIsContained(EObjectValidator.java:782) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.EObjectValidator.validate_EveryDefaultConstraint(EObjectValidator.java:355) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.EObjectValidator$DynamicEClassValidator.validate(EObjectValidator.java:1426) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.EObjectValidator$DynamicEClassValidator.validate(EObjectValidator.java:1429) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.EObjectValidator$DynamicEClassValidator.validate(EObjectValidator.java:1429) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.EObjectValidator.validate(EObjectValidator.java:333) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.xtext.validation.CompositeEValidator.validate(CompositeEValidator.java:150) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.Diagnostician.doValidate(Diagnostician.java:171) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.Diagnostician.validate(Diagnostician.java:158) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.Diagnostician.validate(Diagnostician.java:137) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.Diagnostician.doValidateContents(Diagnostician.java:181) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.Diagnostician.validate(Diagnostician.java:161) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.Diagnostician.validate(Diagnostician.java:137) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.Diagnostician.doValidateContents(Diagnostician.java:185) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.Diagnostician.validate(Diagnostician.java:161) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.Diagnostician.doValidateContents(Diagnostician.java:181) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.util.Diagnostician.validate(Diagnostician.java:108) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl.lambda$2(ModelRepositoryImpl.java:290) ~[bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.core.internal.SafeEMFImpl.call(SafeEMFImpl.java:30) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl.validateModel(ModelRepositoryImpl.java:290) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl.addOrRefreshModel(ModelRepositoryImpl.java:103) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.core.internal.folder.FolderObserver.checkFile(FolderObserver.java:247) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.model.core.internal.folder.FolderObserver.processWatchEvent(FolderObserver.java:310) [bundleFile:?]
        at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.service.WatchQueueReader.run(WatchQueueReader.java:240) [bundleFile:?]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_212]

Just to make sure I understood everything. When this line is being executed, you get the exception, correct?
Could you try the following (just to make sure it isn’t somehow related with the EnOcean binding)

Create a virtual item (Item that is not linked to the channel of a thing)

Switch DummyItem "my DummyItem"
when
then
       DummyItem.sendCommand(ON)
end

Do you get the same exception?
Everything you did above looks quite good, even if you would turn on an item that doesn’t exist, you will get an error, but definitely not an exception. So there’s something special here.

I did as suggested- excactly as you described.
And I got the same Exceptions (lots of, partially different, but spamming the log file) until I uncomment the “sendCommand” entry…

Thanks for having a look; I was really frustrated as I could not make use of rules…

BTW: If you prefer, I can send you the logfile…

/KNEBB

Yes, please post the logfile. It should also contain the logs that happen before the exception. And also post your system specs. On which system are you running, Java version and so on, how did you install it (openhabian or manually)…

Hi,

what should I say? I restarted openHAB by systemctl and since then it is just working fine :expressionless:

However, I tried to minimize the logfile. But as I could no reproduce it I just have to post the existing one which is approx 4MB in size so I can not upload it here (gz would be 50k but is not allowed…). So in case you will analyze what happened you can download it with the below link.

As for your information:
I am using Raspbian Buster (10, Kernel 4.19.97-v7+
) with the repositories for openHab (v2.5.4-1) . Java is:

openjdk version "1.8.0_212"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_212-8u212-b01-1+rpi1-b01)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 25.212-b01, mixed mode)

It is a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2

If you need more details let me know!

Well the logfile starts in the middle of an exception. It seems that something caused OH to get in such an unstable state. Sometimes you need to make 1 or two reboots after updating openHAB.
So since everything is working now, i think you can mark your reply last reply as the solution.

Cheers
Sascha

Well, it is cut as I needd to cut down the size (and did it just by tailing it. But you will see the first exceptions after an successful read.

And I did not even do an update as I installed from scratch.

However, seems to be working now.

Thanks for your offer anyways!

/KNEBB