Strange OpenHAB2 behaviour after network fail

  • Platform information: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev1.1
    • Hardware: 1GB RAM and two physical HDD drives auto-mounted
    • OS: Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)
    • Java Runtime Environment: -
    • openHAB version:2.2.0-1
  • Issue of the topic:
    I’ve been running a configuration for multiple months without problems, also after an occasionally reboot everthing worked fine.
    Last week my router required a reboot and since then OpenHAB behaves very strange:
  • all webpages work, but MQTT data is not refreshed
  • SSH into raspberry still works
  • OpenHAB process runs
  • MQTT server runs and receives data from nodes in my home (checked with mosquitto_sub)
  • Openhab log files are not updated any more since the router reboot
  • nothing is changed in the items, sitemaps or persistence settings (or any other setting)

I’ve already tried rebooting the pi, restarting the openhab and/or MQTT services but all without succes.
I do not understand why the web pages still work but openHAB logging to events.log and openhab.log aren’t updated and my data is not refreshed any more.

  • Please post configurations (if applicable):
    current item+sitemap have been running for months and aren’t changed.

  • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:
    last log is just before or after the reboot of the router? both at event.log and openhab.log

Does anyone have an idea where I should start looking?

That doesn’t always mean anything, particularly if there has been a recent upgrade to OH.

Was there an upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 in this timeframe? The problems described are similar to those some have experienced after upgrading to 2.2 from 2.1 and erroneously answered “No” when asked to replace your logging config file with the new one (the logging config format changed between the two versions). That would explain why the logs have stopped.

There have also been reports of MQTT stopping working on the upgrade and the fix is to uninstall the MQTT binding (and Action if you have it installed too) and reinstalling it.

If there wasn’t an upgrade recently then we need to look elsewhere for problems. Since the problems are somewhat inexplicable my first guess would be a failing SD card corrupted the logging and/or MQTT config.

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for your reaction.
I’ve not upgraded from 2.1 to 2.2 manually, the time OpenHAB stopped showing data only matches exactly the time I rebooted my router. I’ve checked the current version of OpenHAB which is indeed 2.2.0-1 now. I’m not sure if the loss of network can trigger something like an update when the network is restored?

I’ve been looking at the MQTT binding as well, I had a MQTT binding and action installed. based on your suggested fix I started removing the MQTT action and left it for the night without installing the action again.

This uninstall of the MQTT action already seemed to have solved the issue! the data has been available again since short after I removed only the MQTT action (MQTT binding left untouched). Now I’m only confused why this solved the issue, as I didn’t install the MQTT action recently but already had it installed for quite some time without those issues.

I’ll contiue to closely monitor the openhab behaviour for the following weeks to see if something strange happens.
I have a new SD card on standby and a cronjob taking care of periodically generating a backup image of the currently used SD card.