Stuck on "Please stand by while UIs are being installed."

Hi I am new to OpenHab

I downloaded the Openhabian image and etched it to my SDcard.
Booted up while ethernet is plugged in.

After the wait, i open openhabianpi:8080 and choose the “STANDARD recommended setup”.
And then i get stuck at “Please stand by while UIs are being installed. This can take several minutes.”

looking at the “/var/log/openhab2/openhab.log” it seems like setup cannot download org.openhab.ui.basicui:jar:2 (Error resolving artifact)

but if i navigate to the jar file through the browser on my pc, i can download it no problem.
I have tried this numerous times over and over,
I have very stable 100Mb/s fibre internet.

the full log below:

2017-04-10 10:21:11.795 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started dashboard at 192.168.0.100:8080
2017-04-10 10:21:11.804 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started dashboard at 192.168.0.100:8443
2017-04-10 11:21:39.685 [WARN ] [url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver] - Error resolving artifact org.openhab.core:org.openhab.ui.basicui:jar:2.1.0: [Could not transfer artifact org.openhab.core:org.openhab.ui.basicui:jar:2.1.0 from/to openhab (https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/mvn/online-repo/2.1/): sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: timestamp check failed]
java.io.IOException: Error resolving artifact org.openhab.core:org.openhab.ui.basicui:jar:2.1.0: [Could not transfer artifact org.openhab.core:org.openhab.ui.basicui:jar:2.1.0 from/to openhab (https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/mvn/online-repo/2.1/): sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path validation failed: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: timestamp check failed]
        at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:720)[7:org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn:2.5.2]
        at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:659)[7:org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn:2.5.2]
        at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:600)[7:org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn:2.5.2]
        at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:567)[7:org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn:2.5.2]

If someone can help I would greatly appreciate it, or any ideas how to workaround this problem is also fine.

thanks.

Hello @reevestrife,
an installation with openHABian should normally work without any issues. I didn’t hear of any the last couple of days.
Did you wait for a few more minutes? Download problems may occur from time to time but openHAB normally completes eventually. I’d give it up to 15 minutes, maybe restart the Pi after that.

Hi, thank you for responding.
I waited an hour the first time.
Then restarted the process again with a fresh flash of openhabian, and
waited 2 hours the second time, then a third time. And then i saw the entry
in the logs as described. Given the error in the logs I doubt that waiting
longer will make a difference. I repeated the steps a few more times and
the log errors seems to change slightly, but the base error stays the same:
same jar file could not be resolved. :frowning:

@Kai or @Benjy any ideas?

1 Like

I’d check to see if your timezone settings, and current time settings are configured correctly, that’s the only thing I can see in the logs that might make it difficult to download from the online repo.

At the worst case, stopping openhab, installing openhab2-addons, then deleting /var/lib/openhab2/cache/* and /var/lib/openhab2/tmp/* should work.

5 Likes

I agree with @Benjy. The exception clearly says that the problem is that the current time is not suitable to validate the SSL certificate of the download server. This usually happens if the system time is still on 1.1.1970 or maybe even a bit too much ahead of “now”.

1 Like

Ah, now that the log is in code fences I also see it.

The log says “2017-04-10” which I’m pretty sure comes from the fake-hwclock. @reevestrife could you please check the content of your file /boot/first-boot.log? It should look similar to this (pay attention to the time jumps):

1 Like

Thank you so much guys! that was it! :grinning:

i tried to update the openhabian.conf as follows beforehand. but that caused the installation to fail

timeserver=tick.meraka.csir.co.za
locales="en_US.UTF-8"
system_default_locale="en_US.UTF-8"
timezone=Africa/Johannesburg

I then started again and after the intial setup was done i opened an SSH session

updated timezone through

openhabian-config

updated time with

sudo date -s "Thu Aug  10 19:37:26 UTC 2017"

then chose Standard setup, and it worked!
Thanks again for everybody who responded and solved my issue.

1 Like

Glad you got it working! Hope the rest of the new setup goes well!

You should have mentioned this :sweat_smile: it’s normally not needed to modify this file, openHABian will find your timezone by itself.

no, i tried to update it after you guys provided the solution, because the time was wrong, but my attempt to update it to fix the time issue failed.

Hi

I’ve just tried to install OpenHab2 onto a clean Lubuntu installation on a HP laptop and I’m getting the same symptoms.

I’ve checked / reset the timezone, swapped from Snapshot to Release Build 2.0.0, but still the same.

Has it got anything to do with the location coordinates that are shown at the time of choosing the interface options?

Very oddly… If I run the snapshot version in Windows 7 on the very same machine, it sets up as normal, with the exception that it doesn’t pick up the Beta version of the Velbus binding that I dropped into the Addons folder.

Have you got any ideas what I could try?

Update

I think the issue I was having was the lack of serial binding.

However, we’ve moved everything to a Linux Mini-server and all is well :smile: