SU openhabian-config password

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4
    • openHAB version: 3.3.0
  • Issue of the topic:

Been using OpenHab 1 and 2 for years and decided to try Openhab 3.3.0.

Flashed a new SD Card with openhabian-pi-raspios32-202208151955 and everything is working great.

I followed the details in the documentation (Getting Started - Introduction | openHAB).

I connected to the Pi using ssh on port 8101 and logged in as user openhab::habopen

cant get openhabian-config to work, when running the following command -

su openhabian-config

it asks for a password, when i submit “habopen” it rejects the password.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

many thanks

You shouldn’t use the password of “openhab” but using your “normal”-password of your openhabian-user.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, however I am not picking up on what you are saying. Can yoiu expand a bit by explaining what the openhabian user is?

I think there is a mixture of different items that do not belong together:

• ssh port 8101 is the openhab console; not the shell console
  • su is being used to switch the user; not used to run a command with an other user
  • instead of su you need to use sudo openhabian-config

When you normally log in to your Pi via Putty you log in via Port: 8080. And then you are on the “normal” Login, where you can enter " sudo openhabian-config" with your “openhabian-password”.

To reach the Karaf-Console you use normaly “ssh on port 8101”. But that’s not necessary as you only want to reach "openhabian-config.
grafik

My normal “login-Name” is “hab3”. Maybe yours is “openhabian”

Edit: I see that Wolfgang answered in the meantime.

I cant seem to connect via putty on port 8080 using ssh. Is this the correct protocol to use and the correct port?

You mentioned a fresh install. This may seem redundant but just in case you weren’t aware the default password for openhabian is openhabian. As was pointed out the openhab console is NOT the same as logging into the pi to run openhabian-config.

Once you login with ssh on port 22 with openhabian:openhabian you can execute sudo openhabian-config (again with openhabian password). And then once in the openhabian-config tool the first thing you need to do is go to option 30:34 and change the openhabian password.

None of this affects the openhab console.

Managed to get connect. Problem with putty. Managed to connect from good old fashioned command prompt.

Thanks all.

How do you connect to your Pi ?

Under normal circumstances the Pi runs headless and connection is made via a PC/MAC with Putty as Client for Telnet/SSH.

If you do so you first reach the Shell-Console as @Wolfgang_S explained. There you can directly call “openhabian-config”.

From the Shell-Console you can switch to the Openhab-Console(Karaf-Console) via
hab3@oh3ssd:~ $ ssh openhab@localhost -p 8101
but that’s not necessary.
grafik

If you have no connection via a PC/MAC you run your Pi not headless but with a Monitor and Keyboard. So you start directly with the Shell-Console.