Suddenly raspberry pi boot troubles

Hi,
I am using a raspberry pi model 3 with openhab 2.2 snapshot and openhabian (8GB SD Intenso). Everything was working since last week: After a restart, my RPI doesn’t boot completely - there is a permanent loop which says:

I can wait for a very long time but nothing changes. A connection with SSH is not possible anymore. Unfortunately, I only have a backup from October and there a many many changes since then. I tried to clone the SD card and boot from the cloned one, but this doesn’t change the situation.
I’m not sure, if the problem has to do with openhab or with my pi, but there are many experts here and perhaps one of them had to do with a similar problem yet, too.

Thanks for every answer.

A clone is a byte for byte copy so that wouldn’t change anything.

There is something seriously wrong with your system. You will have to rebuild that SD card or restore your October backup. You might be able to access your files that have changed since then by mounting the SD card on a machine that can read it and copying the /etc/openhab2 folder and any other config folder you may have changed.

But ultimately either something changed that is preventing OH or your networking from starting or your SD card has worn out and you need to replace it.

1 Like

That’s a shame, but I have to learn from this clumsiness and make backups periodically. Thank you fror the answer, @rlkoshak.

I definitely recommend running OH on Raspberry Pi off a USB drive (like this one) once you get it back up…It took two bad SD cards for me to learn my lesson, but hopefully you can just learn from this first time :wink:

If you use openhabian, just plug in the USB stick and select Move Root file system to USB from the openhabian-config menu. It’s so simple and mine has been running off USB for 2 years+ (searching for wood to knock on now)…each of the SD cards failed around the ~6 mo mark…It’s just that OH writes to the log very often by design, which is something SD cards are not meant for.

Bk,

I used the move root and the files seemed to not move. Don’t worry nothing lost, any idea if there is a log?

I would like to debug the failure. It’s strange, it creates directories, but didn’t copy files.

Are you sure the files didn’t move? I mean, it’s pretty transparent (i.e. you shouldn’t see any difference, other than your /dev/sda1 folder mounted as your “/” mount). Check the output of the “mount” command in SSH. If the first line says

/dev/mmcblk0p2 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)

you’re using the SD card as the rootfs, and if it says:

/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)

you’re using the USB drive.

Well @bartus found my problem. My memory stick was 128mb vs 128gb. For some reason the move root didnt error, but the pi won’t boot. I suspect something didnt get copied over.

I am going to try with another stick I have around the house once I find it. I can’t believe I did that. I read and re-read and swore the stick was 128gb. LOL! Feeling silly.

I submitted a request to check size on github: https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/issues/424

Its funny how these tools are so amazing, but not everything can be checked. Sometime the user still needs to have a brain. As we say at work, everytime we make it idiot proof. We hire a better idiot.

1 Like

I used to tell myself “what could it hurt to hold on to these thumb drives I’ve had since my Master’s degree? They are too small to be really useful but I might have a user for them.” You just demonstrated what could go wrong. I’m going to clean out my drawers. This is totally a mistake I would make.

1 Like

Yes I agree some things are not meant to keep.