Support for Z-Wave 700 Controllers

I don’t see any errors. What I’m guessing is the xml files are missing. Normally when inclusion is in OH there is an xml file in var/lib/openhab/zwave. It is equivalent to the “store” in zwave-js-ui. So the devices are on the zstick and discovered, but not configured in OH. Unlike zwave-js-ui, I do not think OH automatically starts to interview

Do you get a “Reinitialize device” option on the UI page for the node?

Edit: also is there anything in the zwave folder noted above? (Also Userdata/zwave in Samba)

EDIT2: I have gone from OH to ZUI, but not tried going back to OH with devices that were discovered in ZUI, so I’m not sure here. :frowning_face:

Edit3: Thought of one more idea while out. Try pressing the include button on the slave devices (likely in Scan mode). That sends a NIF (Node Information Frame) that might trigger device configuration messages

I will try that later or tomorrow. Thank you for now.

Hi @apella12 ,

i tired some situations with setting the device to inclusion mode and so on. There was no option to “Reinitialize the Device”.
Then i resarted OH and all of sudden the devices in the inbox changed their names to the right name. Only some battery driven devices stayed there with the “Node x” name. After waking them up most of them came up.
I added them. Everythin fine.
Only issue I found: when adding the Device with “custom ID”, the devices don’t disappear from Inbox. Even after restarting OH. I ignored them for now.
Adding without “custom ID” workes like expected.
I also can communicate with the devices that are added as Thing with custom ID. They show up under THINGS and are also still in the INBOX. But i can set values and receive Data from the devices.
I tried scanning again. Nothing changes. If i remove them from inbox, they show up again as soon as i SCAN again.

Any idea?

Regards,

I had never tried that before, but just tested it and you are right. I believe the Zstick has them named as “nodes”, so they will still appear. To them out of the inbox you can add with the default ID (and delete the custom ID); I noticed that in the /zwave folder only the default XMLs are there. It not a 700/800 issue, my test was on a 500 controller.

I don’t see the value in the custom ID as you can Name your thing anything you like (and unlike the ID) change it if you like. What are you trying to do with that?

Edit: Found this in the docs; you can’t use custom ID with discovery. Need to use text configurations.

You might have noticed that if you don’t define your device via a .things file and instead use dynamic discovery the device’s UID will be zwave:device:controller:node1. Why the difference? During dynamic discovery the binding inquires about all existing Z-Wave nodes. But all the binding receives immediately from the controller is a list of node ids. Additional details about device types are retrieved only subsequently and require a significant amount of time (seconds or longer). To provide quick feedback to the user during dynamic discovery the binding has no choice but to create a UID that doesn’t depend on any device details.

Hi @apella12,

thanks. i double checked and you’re right. All my 500-controller devices are also using the standard nodeX ID. I thought i used customIDs as I’m using these pretty often. But i think that wasn’t possible using OH3 (or 2) where i added all these devices.
Do you know if it’s possible to forbid using customIDs in MainUI? If yes this might be forbidden in the binding.

That “add as Custom ID” is part of the OH UI, not binding, so other bindings may support that better and since the docs explain it, not sure that is worth the effort. You could open an issue on github on the OH-UI repository to block the customID in the case of zwave, if you want.

Hi Bob

This sounds great, thank you very much. Now I’m confident to invest more in Z-Wave devices :slight_smile:

Hi All,

Related to this, I was considering replacing my Aeotec Gen5 with a Z-Stick 7. Is there a good guide on moving the nodes over? There is a backup tool but it doesn’t seem indicate that you can transfer a Gen5 backup to the 7. Thanks!

I’m in the middle of this as well. Looked all over, and I’ve seen copying Gen 5+ to 700, but that is prefaced with a “use at your own risk”. Gen 5 to 700 was not possible. I am slowly going through and excluding-including my things (over 70). Not a huge effort, and I am taking the opportunity to standardize nomenclature and simplifying the model. Also upgrading hardware, so figured I would do it all at once.

I wrote a guide on ways I have tried.
Transitioning a network from 500 chip.pdf (235.8 KB)

I have no plans to buy any new Z-Wave devices and all of my currently existing devices work fine.

Any reason to upgrade my HUSBZB-1?

My plans are driven by a desire for Matter to be “the one ecosystem”.

I’d say no reason to upgrade

I copied this from something I wrote earlier.
The biggest beneficiary will be the new OH user as the 500 chip controllers are hard to find and cost more. For current OH users with 500 chip controllers, observed gains from 700/800 controllers may be modest. The top speed of 100KB/sec is the same. There may be a few more devices are in direct communication with the controller and the chip processes messages a bit faster. Your results may vary.

You can expect lower power consumption by zwave devices. The new Shelly Z-Wave 800 devices use less than 0.3 W as stated in the datasheet, I hope in real life too. My Fibaro Dimmer in real life uses 0.5 W. If you have many devices this can make a difference. Especially if this also applies to battery devices.

Regarding Matter. I’m not sure how fast this will evolve and many devices will be available and then will work as exptected compared to the long established standards. For now I stay with Z-Wave :slight_smile:

700 and 800 devices will still use less power even if the network is powered by a 500 chip controller. I’m not against upgrading (have 700 & 800 controllers), just want to set expectations, there might not be an OH WOW moment :wink:

Less power is theoretically good for battery devices, however, I have found 700 and 800 devices use the smaller coin battery, so it seems to be a wash for me anyway.

Anyway for reference. At this point the 700 and 800 controllers are using pretty much the same firmware.

So there is now Z-wave native binding support for new controllers? Just confirming as this was once upon a time not possible as a path forward.