Synology DiskStation

Hey Scott,

Few questions . . .

What is the URL to the M1 Zip File, jFrog, Maven, etc. so I can manually download it?

In the v2.4 /scripts/installer.sh file; this is where v2.4 it’s getting downloaded. I copied/pasted the URL into a browser and just change it to 2.5.0 but it gives me a 404 error.

echo "Set instance variables..." >>$LOG
DOWNLOAD_PATH="https://bintray.com/openhab/mvn/download_file?file_path=org/openhab/distro/openhab/2.4.0"
DOWNLOAD_FILE1="openhab-2.4.0.zip"

# Add more files by separating them using spaces
INSTALL_FILES="${DOWNLOAD_PATH}/${DOWNLOAD_FILE1}"

EXTRACTED_FOLDER="openHAB-2.4.0"

Best, Jay

There seems to be no 2.5.0 directory at the moment: https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/mvn/org/openhab/distro/openhab/

@jwiseman @jackzone

select linux - apt - milestone
scroll down to manual installation and then click the big unmissable download link

Upgraded OH from 2.3.001 to 2.5m1 on a Synology:

I first wanted to thank the folks that helped me put this list together in this thread (@waspie & @Dennis1108 @ github )

Over all impression in the last 12 hours is the stability and consistency of 2.5m1. The logging has really improved in the events log. CPU usage has been reduced by 50%.

My Synology OH Setup:

Two DS716 setup in a HA cluster configuration (active/passive)

* RAID-1 drives in both units
* One USB SSD drive hanging off one of the DS716 units to backup OH to
* Two AEOTec USB zWave controllers (which are copies of each other)
* Using OH v2.3.001 from the Package Center (never updated to v2.3.005)
* I’m using these bindings:
	- zWave v2.5, HUE, Sonos, WeMo, Onkyo, Amazon Echo, Unifi, MQTT, Open Weather Map, Mail, Air Quality, IP Camera, Nest, Network, Samsung TV, Synology Surveillance Station, Climacons, HUE Emulation, CalDAV
* Majority of my OH configuration has been done with single configuration files for things, items and rules.  I have around 15k lines of code in the rules file since starting in June 2018.
* I'm running HABPanel on three Samsung tablets on walls

Steps I Followed:

1.	Backup the entire \homes\openHab directory to another machine (do it twice, just in case)

2.	Stop OH via the Package Center

3.	Reboot the Synology to insure all OH hooks are disconnected

4.	Uninstall OH v2.3.001 from the Synology via Package Center

5.	Rename \openHAB\openhab public folder that contains the installation files \openHAB\openhab to \openHAB\openhab2.3 to insure there isn’t any conflict during this upgrade process

6.	Download OH2.4 for Synology (PKG & ZIP)

a.	https://github.com/openhab/openhab-syno-spk/releases
	b.	Unzip a copy of the of the ZIP on a PC for later review and copying over to the Synology

7.	Copy openHAB-2.4.0.001-syno-noarch-0.001.spk over to \openHAB public folder (not the \homes\openhab directory)

8.	** Package Center, Manual Install, look for openHAB-2.4.0.001-syno-noarch-0.001.spk on your local PC

a.	Choose 3rd destination /var/services/homes/openhab
	b.	I did NOT choose to install tmpfs or zWave options.  I get the latest zWave binding (JAR) from the latest build online since it changes every week with new updates to it (Thanks @chris !)
		i. If you had zWave running natively on v2.3; you’ll need to completely reset up zWave devices from scratch, there was a complete rewrite done (lucky for me; I did this on 2.3 prior to this upgrade)

9.	Reboot the Synology

10.	OH should auto start after the reboot, take a look at the log files to see what errors could be coming up.  Mine was multiple IPs bound to interfaces.

2019-04-05 17:09:05.041 [WARN ] [g.eclipse.smarthome.core.net.NetUtil] - Found multiple local interfaces - ignoring 169.254.171.42
	2019-04-05 17:09:05.063 [WARN ] [g.eclipse.smarthome.core.net.NetUtil] - Found multiple local interfaces - ignoring 192.168.0.230 <--
	2019-04-05 17:09:05.065 [WARN ] [g.eclipse.smarthome.core.net.NetUtil] - Found multiple local interfaces - ignoring 192.168.0.210

You can resolve this from either the GUI Paper, System, Network setting or adding this line item in the runtime.cfg file

org.eclipse.smarthome.core.net.NetUtil:primaryAddress=192.168.0.230/24

11.	Wait for OH 2.4 to completely start up; look at the openhab.log to verify complete startup

12.	Stop OH 2.4 via Package Center

13.	Download v2.5m1

a.	https://www.openhab.org/download/
		i.	Select Linux - apt - milestone
		ii.	Scroll down to manual installation and then click the big unmissable download link
		iii.Download OH 2.5m1 runtime and openhab-addons-2.5.0.M1.kar files

b.	Modify your /etc/hosts to point to the main domain URL in the openHAB-2.4.0.001-syno-noarch-0.001.spk file to localhost. You’ll need to SSH into your system and go into super user mode in order to modify this file

i.	127.0.0.1      bintray.com
                     if you have a HA cluster; make sure to add it to both device hosts file)
		ii.	This will make it fail downloading the openHAB distribution files from the Internet and fallback to openhab-2.4.0.zip held in your \openHAB public folder (not your \homes\openhab folder)

c.	Download and rename the openhab-2.5.0.M1.zip file to openhab-2.4.0.zip as seen in the /scripts/installer.sh file within .SPK file. 

d.	Copy over the newly renamed openhab-2.4.0.zip to /openHAB/ public folder (not your \homes\openhab folder) from your PC

e.	Copy over openhab-addons-2.5.0.M1.kar to the /addon’s directory; this will be used to pull the bindings from since the bintray.com domain host entry points to your localhost now

14.	Blow away and recreate the /userdata/tmp and /userdata/cache directories as a precaution.

15.	Startup OH via Package Center (which will still show v2.4), review the logs to insure it starts up fine

16.	Stop OH via Package Center

17.	The main restore points would be your entire /conf folder,  /userdata folder, and “some” of /addons JAR’s.  

a.	/userdata you probably only need/want:
		i.	uuid (file)
		ii.	openhabcloud (folder)
		iii.jsondb (folder)

b.	/config/org/openhab/ (there are files in here you may want like habpanel.config, the others are rebuilt)

c.	Copy/paste entries from your copy of your /userdata/etc/org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg into the new logging file which is different than v2.3 so don’t overwrite the entire logging file

18.	Once v2.5m1 is running stable; start adding addon’s via the GUI slowly.   You will see a system performance issues when adding a lot of bindings semi-quickly.

a.	Insure this file is in the /addon’s directory you downloaded previously --> openhab-addons-2.5.0.M1.kar
	b.	You’ll want to use the GUI for all addon’s that exist in your installation vs. dropping them into the addon’s directory (one at a time to insure each work).
	c.	The only addon’s I dropped into the directory where ones that were NOT part of the GUI selections (one off bindings)
	d.	You will see duplicate binding entries in the GUI binding area 1.13 and 1.14 along with 2.4 and 2.5m1, choose the 2.5m1 options 
	e.	Modify your addon’s.cfg file for binding entries to insure the bindings load the next time you clear cache/tmp directories

The ONLY major issues I encounter was:

1.	Sitemaps, all my slider items had to be committed out – https://community.openhab.org/t/oh-v2-5m1-sitemap-slider-entries/71861
	2.  Having some duplicate bindings running from 2.4 and 2.5m1 that I had to manually stop and uninstall
	3.  Changing some startup rule logic - I'm guessing 2.5m1 is a bit more strict on item states

** Possible Hurdles for Some OH Synology Installations (I did NOT have to do this):

a.	Remove the user in the Synology web UI
	b.	Reboot Synology
	c.	Following instructions from @Dennis1108
		i.	https://github.com/openhab/openhab-syno-spk/issues/148
		ii.	I did NOT have to do this step but here’s what mine looked like:

root@ds716cluster:~# df -h

Filesystem      	Size  	Used 	Avail Use% 	Mounted on
		/dev/md0       		2.3G  	1.2G  	1.1G  53%	/
		none            	3.9G     	0  	3.9G   0% 	/dev
		/tmp            	3.9G   	23M  	3.9G   1% 	/tmp
		/run           	 	3.9G  	4.0M  	3.9G   1% 	/run
		/dev/shm        	3.9G  	4.0K  	3.9G   1% 	/dev/shm
		none            	4.0K     	0  	4.0K   0% 	/sys/fs/cgroup
		cgmfs           	100K     0  	100K   0% 	/run/cgmanager/fs
		/dev/drbd-md2   	3.5T  	2.1T  	1.5T  60% 	/volume1
		/dev/sdq1       	470G   	73M  	470G   1%	/volumeUSB1/usbshare

Best, Jay

2 Likes

Synology Peers,

Is it possible to upgrade a Synology from OH 2.4 to OH 2.5 w/o having the developer create a OH 2.5 SPK for the Synology?

The reason for the question is; the Unifi binding which does a lot of folks presence detections requires 2.5 now because of this --> based on @mgbowman statement of “as the required change to ExtensibleTrustManager isn’t in 2.4”.

Best, Jay

Hi jay, you should be able to work it out from this

Hi Jay,

Were you successful in upgrading to 2.5M1?

I’ve looked at your instructions and you lost me at step no.13.
Am I supposed just to add the following line in my host file?
127.0.0.1 bintray.com

I don’t have a public folder.
Where should I put the two zip files?
Here is a list of “openhab” folders on my DSM:

/var/packages/openHAB
/var/cache/pkglist.tmp/icon/INST/openHAB
/volume1/@appstore/openHAB
/usr/syno/synoman/webman/3rdparty/openHAB
/usr/syno/etc/packages/openHAB
/volume1/homes/openhab
/volume1/homes/openhab/userdata/tmp/mvn/org/openhab
/volume1/homes/openhab/userdata/config/org/openhab
/volume1/homes/openhab/userdata/config/ org/openhab
/volume1/@appstore/openHAB/runtime/system/org/openhab

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Serge.

Yes, following my instructions I got my Synology to OH 2.4 using OH 2.5 m1 bindings. Its so much more stable than OH 2.3 was.

re: 127.0.0.1 bintray.com

Yes, but ONLY after you get OH 2.4 startup at least once. Once you put that line in the host file; OH will NOT download it’s packages from the Internet anymore. It will use the .KAR file to get them from which are the 2.5 m1 versions.

re: I don’t have a public folder.

When I installed OH 2.3 on my Synology from the canned package center; I choose the public folder option. It creates a folder called openHAB which the .SPK is placed in. This is where you put the .ZIP file and also the zip file fully extracted.

My public folder openHAB folder has this in it openhab (folder) , openHAB-2.4.0 (folder), openhab-2.4.0.zip (file) and openHAB-2.4.0.001-syno-noarch-0.001.spk (file)

You may have to clear all your OH files/folders off your unit and install the OH 2.3 using the public folder option as step 1 in order to upgrade to OH 2.4 using my instructions. If you do so, please make sure you make a couple copies of all your configurations.

Best, Jay

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I was anxious to get this completed ASAP and almost instantaneous support from guys like you makes all the difference.

So, if I understand correctly the process is basically:

• To make a new installation of OH2.4 to insure correct file structure (probably different from the 2.3.x).

• Replacing the OH2.4 core application files with the 2.5M1 runtime files.

• Replacing the essential ‘conf’ and ‘userdata’ files from the previous installation.

• Forcing new addons to be extracted from a local source (the .KAR file) instead of an external source (done by modifying the host file).

What I still don’t understand is the importance of copying the OH2.4 spk file on the DSM.

Unless I am looking at the wrong places, I can’t find any existing .spk files from previous openhab folders or installations.

I was under the impression that these spk files were scripts that were executed only once in order to install the system files from an external repository and deleted afterward.

Also, why renaming the 2.5M1 runtime zip file when the intent is to extract it in the new OH2.4 folder? Is the zip file called by some other process?

As far as directory structure, my setup seems to be slightly different than yours.

I didn’t have a ‘public’ folder so the only ‘openhab’ folder that I had was homes/openhab.

This is where are my config files.

I am still not so sure where are located the application core files.

I would really appreciate if you could take a few more minutes to explain the bits that I am still missing or to guide me to a source of additional info.

Thank you in advance for your patience.

Serge.

1 Like

Hey Serge,

Wanted to remind you that my steps will NOT work exactly unless the file structure isn’t the same as OH 2.3 with the public folder install option (which I think is option 3).

Keep in mind; my steps are NOT to “upgrade” what is there already (OH 2.3). It’s a brand new clean install of OH 2.4 w/o any of your files and folders structures being upgraded.

The reason we renamed OH 2.5m1 zip file to OH 2.4 zip is to use the OH 2.5m1 bindings vs. OH 2.4 bindings at the very end of the steps. There is NO full OH upgrade to 2.5m1 on Synology yet.

I’m recommending you follow the directions step by step (making backup copies of your OH stuff to another machine before starting - very important).

Best, Jay

Hi Jay,

I finally got it working.

In my case (no ‘public’ folder) the folder to use in step 7 was: volume1/@appstore/openHAB.

There is probably an easier way to do it but since it is a root folder I used ssh to copy the zip and spk files to that directory.

With “user home service” enabled the configuration folders are also mirrored to the homes/openhab folder so the kar file can be copied to either ‘addons’ folders.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Serge.

2 Likes

Hi

Did any of you try updating to 2.5M2 ?

Kennet

Nope. Not yet. Actually starting to wonder about migrating from Syno to a RPi, but the backup scripts don’t work due to file location differences…

not yet - too many red flags for me. that and m1 works so well for me. it runs until i shut it down to make a change, never because of crashes…

I wanted to try installing 2.5M2 but I can not figure out how openHAB finds out what bundles to download.
First I was thinking why not just modify the URL that is used to download openHAB in the .spk file. I was thinking that somehow openHAB 2.5 M2 would know only to download 2.5 M2 bundles. So if I just download M2 in the spk it would run 2.5 M2. But when reading the post about how to install 2.5 M1 it clearly looks like this would not work.

I tried to figure out how this works from the Developer Appendix documentation but there is still some things I can not figure out.
I understand that each bundle has a pom file that described the requirements of each bundle (i.e. bindings, java modules etc.) and how Karaf is used to install bundles/modules at runtime based on the pom (i guess). And I guess somehow Karaf is given a URL to the Artifactory hosted by JFrog. but how does that tie into how 2.5 M2 is only downloading 2.5 M2 bindings ?
When running the 2.5 M2 on a windows this is working without changing anything so why is that different than when it is run a synology diskstation?

I realize this might be a bit complicated to explain but maybe you guys can give me some pointers.
Thanks.

2.5 for syno? any news or solution?

I have 2.5 M4 working for a week now and it has been running without major issues.
What I did was.

1. Downloaded the 2.4 spk (Link)
  2. Extract the installer.sh file from the spk with 7-Zip
  3. Modify it to point the Milestone version.
    3.a. Edit. DOWNLOAD_PATH=“https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-milestone-local/org/openhab/distro/openhab/2.5.0.M4
    3.b. Edit. DOWNLOAD_FILE1=“openhab-2.5.0.M4.zip”
  4. Then I put the installer.sh back into the spk with 7-Zip.
  5. Install the spk. ( I used the public folder and Zwave / tmpfs options )

After I did the install I did some permission changes to get the serial ports working but I am a bit unsure how much of that was actually required.

The only issue I have is with RFLink. When the Synology is restarted it will not go back online, but if I unplug it and wait a bit before reconnecting then it works again. I have not investigated this so much so it might just be my system.

an easier way that all that :stuck_out_tongue: is to edit the /etc/hosts file on your syno like:
127.0.0.1 bintray.com

then rename whatever openhab release you want to openhab-2.4.0.zip in your public folder and thats it

@Kennet Thank you very much, I follow your instruction and install openhab-2.5.0.M6 into my DS715 which is running on DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1.
it is working fine without issue oberserved.
why I need update 2.5 M6 from 2.4? Because I have one Z-Wave Fibaro FGR-222 defect, bought a new Z-Wave Fibaro FGR-223 which is not in openhab 2.4 database, need update 2.5 Mx, I choose the lates one : 2.5 M6, just was a few hour old.

@waspie can you share more details how to it ?

edit the hosts file?
ssh to your synology and vi /etc/hosts
or if you have nano installed from the syno community use nano