[TapoControl] - Control Tapo Smart WiFi-Devices with Openhab - Official Support Thread

For me (openHAB 4.1.0) the binding unfortunately does not work as well
as I thought.

The things going online but I can’t send commands (L510 lamp).

2023-12-29 12:53:46.235 [TRACE]
[ernal.api.protocol.klap.KlapProtocol] -
(tapocontrol:L510:LivingroomCeilingLamp / HTTP-KLAP) decrypted
response: '{"error_code":-1003}'

2023-12-29
12:53:46.238 [DEBUG] [rol.internal.api.TapoDeviceConnector] -
(tapocontrol:L510:Living room ceiling lamp / DeviceConnector) handle
error '@text/error-api-json-decode-fail [ "-1003" ]'

I am on the version
org.openhab.binding.tapocontrol-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar.

Cache and tmp folder I have cleared.

Did you remove the “standard” binding which comes with oh 4.1 add-ons via cli ? You can check this if you edit the thing and in advanced mode you have no klap protokoll to select - then the oh binding is ative and not this one.

The jar version I got from here (GitHub - wildcs/oh3_compiled-addons at tapocontrol)
does not work for me (openHAB 4.1.0).
I then went back to a version from September that I still had which works. The version is also larger 480kB while a the one from the link is has only 150kB.

grafik

I uploaded a new snapshot for 4.2.0 with some fixes. Maybe this may help.
Version for 4.1.0 stable will follow next days.
Happy new year

1 Like

hi all,
I have a P105 unit and until few months ago it was working in OH3.
Then suddenly stopped working. Reading this thread I understand that it was caused by a firmware upgrade. And that the solution will work only in OH4.

So now I have upgraded to OH4.1 in order to use again this binding, but it still doesn’t work.
And reading in the thread it seems that someone managed to have it working and someone hasn’t.

My unit (P105) has firmware version 1.2.1 build 230804 rel.190922
There are no other firmware upgrades.

But in OH4.1 it doesn’t work:

Bridge tapocontrol:bridge:myTapoBridge            "Cloud-Login"        [ username="xxxxx", password="xxxxx" ] {
   Thing P105 Socket1 "My-Socket-1"        [ ipAddress="192.168.88.71", pollingInterval=30, protocol="klap" ]
}

Error:

2024-01-03 18:36:33.067 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'tapocontrol:P105:myTapoBridge:Socket1' changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): unknown api error (-1) to UNKNOWN: unknown api error (-1)
2024-01-03 18:36:33.067 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'tapocontrol:P105:myTapoBridge:Socket1' changed from UNKNOWN: unknown api error (-1) to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): unknown api error (-1)

Is there a solution to this issue?

thanks all

The new version is still not merged in official OH4.1.
You have to install manually the jar from my compiled-addons git. It was discussed here more than once how to install.

Uploaded new 4.2.x-snapshot to my compiled-addons-repository

Edit:
4.1.0-snapshot also updated

Any installation instructions for people running on Windows?

Hi @Bigdesaster ,

Thanks for the binding

Maybe the same issue as already reported.

Which jar version should I use for v4.1.1? I used 4.1.0

I am using the new jar and changed to new klap protocol. For a minute or so everything works (ONLINE) and is reachable (L920 Strips) but then I get the error

encrypting failed (9500)

If I disable and enable it is working for a minute and then the same error appears.

This is a joke beeen waiting since last year to have this problem fixed I’m now unable to control any of Tapo gear

Keep getting error 9009 device offline which it’s not as Tapo app can see fine

The funny thing is that apparently the developer has already developed the new version, but it’s not included in the stable version.

I know I could install it manually from the .jar, but I will never again install manually a .jar. I did it in the past then I had to rebuild all my system from scratch due to unrecovable errors.

So, I too cannot control my Tapo things…

I highly recommend you to set up a backup that does a full copy of the sd card. In case of anything fails, you just copy the backup over your sd card and boom you’re back to your working version again.
I’m doing automatic backups once per week and it’s been useful more than once in the past : sd card failure, update gone wrong, …
Just be sure to test your backup with another sd card the first time to be sure it’s consistent :wink:
With that sort of backup, you’re never afraid of testing anything.

The fix has been there since October and it works. I’m also curious to know when will it be merged and why isn’t it yet merged.

How have you got it working then would love to know I’m using windows

I downloaded the binding from the description and uploaded it to the /usr/share/openhab/addons/ folder. I deleted the official binding and configured the KLAP protocol for the devices with the latest firmware.
I use Linux (CentOS) and only have P115 plugs and a P300 power strip, so your issues may be device or Windows-related.

My Tapo things or the binding doesn’t go offline

@Bigdesaster,

Any news on when the PR would be merged?

Thanks for the feedback

This is not in my hands.
Can’t do more than create a PR and resolve reviews.
Already pinged the OH-Maintainers but got no response.

2 Likes

hello @Bigdesaster, i’m trying to update the binding using the jar from repository, but all of them are not working.
i’ve compared the jar i download some months ago (4.1.0) and the size is around 480kb, but if i download again the 4.1.0 from the repo, the size is around 200 kb. in fact if i put this into the addons folder, openhab replies with a package error. same for 4.2.0.

2024-02-01 14:25:10.972 [ERROR] [Events.Framework                    ] - FrameworkEvent ERROR
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.tapocontrol [27]
  Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: com.google.gson; version="[2.10.0,3.0.0)"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:463) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel$2.run(ModuleContainer.java:1847) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainerAdaptor$1$1.execute(EquinoxContainerAdaptor.java:136) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1840) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1783) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1745) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1667) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:345) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]

i’m running OH on raspy and the version is: openHAB 4.0.0-SNAPSHOT - Build #3479.
could be this the problem?

Hi @Bigdesaster
I really appreciate your work.

Please keep us informed about any news.

Thanks.