Tasmota HomeAssistant Autodiscovery thing goes offline after adding from inbox

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: CPUArchitecture/RAM/storage Raspi ZeroW
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version
    • openHAB version: 2.4

I am using the internal mqtt broker in default configuration. I am using a tasmota switch with 6.6.0… When I activate the autodiscovery feature with SetOption19 1, there is a new thing appearing in the inbox.
I add the thing and immediately the thing goes offline and stays offline.

Sonoff-Loewen status (Light,Sensor,Switch)

HomeAssistant MQTT Component

You need a configured Broker first. This Thing represents a device, that follows the “HomeAssistant MQTT Component” specification.

nodeid 2D7BE6_status

The log shows this:

2019-11-12 11:22:56.076 [me.event.InboxRemovedEvent] - Discovery Result with UID ‘mqtt:homeassistant:embedded-mqtt-broker:config’ has been removed.

2019-11-12 11:22:56.447 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘mqtt:homeassistant:embedded-mqtt-broker:config’ changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING

2019-11-12 11:22:56.866 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ‘mqtt:homeassistant:embedded-mqtt-broker:config’ changed from INITIALIZING to OFFLINE (GONE): No response from the device yet

and when I filter the log I found this:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Target session DVES_2D7BE6 is connected but doesn’t anymore subscribed to [filter:cmnd/Sonoff-Loewen/#, cliID: DVES_2D7BE6, qos: null, active: true]

I have installed the Mqtt thing binding and the broker and broker connection services
Thank you for your help.

Hi Mike,
Have you been able to fix this? I’m knew to Openhab and I’m running into the same problem. My setup Pi2B with Openhabian, Openhab version 2.5. Sonoff basic device with Tasmota 7.2 (just upgraded a few minutes ago) with option19 enabled. I’m also using the embedded mqtt broker. The PaperUI inbox picks up the new device when I add it as a thing it reports under configuration offline-gone. While via the webinterface the device is responsive and OK.
I stuck for a few days at this issue and tried to solve reading multiple threads but they all refer to older openhab versions or using mosquitto MQTT.

OK I’ve given up on the autodiscovery of HomeAssistant MQTT Components. I defined manually a Generic MQTT Thing. This works without problems (note I also disabled Option19 and Option59 on the Tasmota device again).

Yes Rene, thats what I did too. Manually defining and forgetting about autodicovery.
I have to say with the built in mqtt binding and the possibility to define everything via PaperUi it is an easy task.

The solution for me was to install the Jinja Transformation Service over Paper UI.

It is needed for transforming the JSON.
If this is the issue you can find log entrys with that warning.

Maybe the “Jinja” is a typo or I missunderstand that post, but IMHO no external service besides the JSONPath Transformaion service from openHAB is needed

I mean this Service

Did you configure anything else to make MQTT binding aware of this transformer or to use it with homeassistant devices ?

I would like to see autodiscovery work for Homeassistent…

Confirming jinja also. Configured this the other day under OH2.5, embedded system broker, and standalone mosquitto server.

After enabling setoption19 on tasmota the switch devices were detected, and after linking could be controlled, but the issue I had was that it wouldn’t read status of it when it was toggled using the device button. After reviewing the logs jinja transform was erroring. Installed it and OH is now reading the state changes.

For my set up, I’ve set topic to tasmota_%06x so they’re all unique, and using the module friendly name to identify which is which when it comes on thru discovery and on to the configure via UI.

Only aspects in still looking into is if the versions etc for maintainence can be read using the discovered thing, or is I’ll need to do that another method. Could manually define them all on files, but I’m trying to go the UI approach now.

Ok…I dont get it working.
I have installed Jinja cleaned up everything. OH is 2.5 and Tasmota 8.1
The sensor is autodiscovered (its an ESP8266) and when adding it I get Java error: Component:Sensor does not support forced updates
OH does get all the “MQTT config topics” in the “Configuration Parameter” in PaperUI when editing the thing

Here the complete output:
11:41:53.038 [WARN ] [.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.CFactory] - Not supported
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Component:Sensor does not support forced updates
at org.openhab.binding.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.ComponentSensor.(ComponentSensor.java:48) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.CFactory.createComponent(CFactory.java:70) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.DiscoverComponents.processMessage(DiscoverComponents.java:96) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.io.transport.mqtt.internal.ClientCallback.lambda$3(ClientCallback.java:96) ~[?:?]
at java.util.ArrayList.forEach(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_144]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.io.transport.mqtt.internal.ClientCallback.messageArrived(ClientCallback.java:96) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.io.transport.mqtt.internal.ClientCallback.messageArrived(ClientCallback.java:71) ~[?:?]
at com.hivemq.client.internal.mqtt.mqtt3.Mqtt3AsyncClientView.lambda$callbackView$1(Mqtt3AsyncClientView.java:73) ~[bundleFile:?]
at com.hivemq.client.internal.mqtt.MqttAsyncClient$CallbackSubscriber.onNext(MqttAsyncClient.java:227) [bundleFile:?]
at com.hivemq.client.internal.mqtt.MqttAsyncClient$CallbackSubscriber.onNext(MqttAsyncClient.java:212) [bundleFile:?]
at com.hivemq.client.rx.FlowableWithSingle$SingleFutureSubscriber.onNext(FlowableWithSingle.java:377) [bundleFile:?]
at com.hivemq.client.internal.rx.operators.FlowableWithSingleCombine$SplitSubscriber$Default.tryOnNextActual(FlowableWithSingleCombine.java:206) [bundleFile:?]
at com.hivemq.client.internal.rx.operators.FlowableWithSingleCombine$SplitSubscriber.tryOnNext(FlowableWithSingleCombine.java:171) [bundleFile:?]
at io.reactivex.internal.operators.flowable.FlowableObserveOn$ObserveOnConditionalSubscriber.runAsync(FlowableObserveOn.java:649) [bundleFile:?]
at io.reactivex.internal.operators.flowable.FlowableObserveOn$BaseObserveOnSubscriber.run(FlowableObserveOn.java:176) [bundleFile:?]
at io.reactivex.internal.schedulers.ScheduledRunnable.run(ScheduledRunnable.java:66) [bundleFile:?]
at io.reactivex.internal.schedulers.ScheduledRunnable.call(ScheduledRunnable.java:57) [bundleFile:?]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_144]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_144]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_144]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_144]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_144]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_144]
11:41:53.048 [WARN ] [.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.CFactory] - Not supported
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Component:Sensor does not support forced updates
at org.openhab.binding.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.ComponentSensor.(ComponentSensor.java:48) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.CFactory.createComponent(CFactory.java:70) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.DiscoverComponents.processMessage(DiscoverComponents.java:96) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.io.transport.mqtt.internal.ClientCallback.lambda$3(ClientCallback.java:96) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.io.transport.mqtt.internal.ClientCallback.messageArrived(ClientCallback.java:96) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.io.transport.mqtt.internal.ClientCallback.messageArrived(ClientCallback.java:71) ~[?:?]
at com.hivemq.client.internal.mqtt.mqtt3.Mqtt3AsyncClientView.lambda$callbackView$1(Mqtt3AsyncClientView.java:73) ~[bundleFile:?]
at com.hivemq.client.internal.mqtt.MqttAsyncClient$CallbackSubscriber.onNext(MqttAsyncClient.java:227) [bundleFile:?]
at com.hivemq.client.internal.mqtt.MqttAsyncClient$CallbackSubscriber.onNext(MqttAsyncClient.java:212) [bundleFile:?]
at com.hivemq.client.rx.FlowableWithSingle$SingleFutureSubscriber.onNext(FlowableWithSingle.java:377) [bundleFile:?]
at com.hivemq.client.internal.rx.operators.FlowableWithSingleCombine$SplitSubscriber$Default.tryOnNextActual(FlowableWithSingleCombine.java:206) [bundleFile:?]
at com.hivemq.client.internal.rx.operators.FlowableWithSingleCombine$SplitSubscriber.tryOnNext(FlowableWithSingleCombine.java:171) [bundleFile:?]
at io.reactivex.internal.operators.flowable.FlowableObserveOn$ObserveOnConditionalSubscriber.runAsync(FlowableObserveOn.java:649) [bundleFile:?]
at io.reactivex.internal.operators.flowable.FlowableObserveOn$BaseObserveOnSubscriber.run(FlowableObserveOn.java:176) [bundleFile:?]
at io.reactivex.internal.schedulers.ScheduledRunnable.run(ScheduledRunnable.java:66) [bundleFile:?]
at io.reactivex.internal.schedulers.ScheduledRunnable.call(ScheduledRunnable.java:57) [bundleFile:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_144]
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_144]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_144]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_144]
11:41:53.042 [WARN ] [.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.CFactory] - Not supported
11:41:53.039 [WARN ] [.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.CFactory] - Not supported
11:41:53.095 [WARN ] [.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.CFactory] - Not supported
11:41:53.262 [WARN ] [.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.CFactory] - Not supported
11:41:53.300 [WARN ] [.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.CFactory] - Not supported
11:41:53.362 [WARN ] [.mqtt.homeassistant.internal.CFactory] - Not supported

Does your linked item have autoupdate turned on?

I’d recommend deleting the thing, link, and item, then configure it from scratch using PaperUI.
After you restart tasmota it should be detected as a new thing reasonably quickly. Then add it, and open the thing.

I have simple mode turned off, so when I go into the channels, I add a link for the switch part, and ‘Create Item’ - enter names as appropriate then save. I didn’t need to configure auto update, it should read it from the mqtt state based on the json it read during discovery. If you’re linking to an existing item with auto update enabled that may be part of the issue.
After that confirm if it’s all showing as online, and jump into control - see if it turns off/off.

Yes this is also an issue that I experienced for Sonoff Pow R2 with Tasmota 8.1.
But I think it is different from this post here therefore I created a new post there: Tasmota (Sonoff Pow R2) with autodiscovery create not all channels for sensors
But there is no solution at the moment.

Ok. I am running this on a completely clean test system (just freshly installed) and cleaned all cash/temp and have simple mode for item linking disabled…also no items defined yet at all. Error comes up already when adding the item from the inbox.
It seems the new thread is exactly the problem I have as well - at least the same Java error.
So I will follow the new thread.

Does it only go offline after restarting openhab? I’m starting to see similar and noting that if you edit the properties of the thing and remove any options (ie: binary_sensor) it suddenly sees it as online again. Restart, and it’s offline-gone again. Delete and re-add, it’s there as online again. Interestingly enough the item link still works even when the device says offline-gone.

Out of curiousity if the issue is only after restarting openhab, and you set PowerRetain 1 on the tasmota, does it still appear as offline? That sets it to MQTT power state message to be retained, so next time openhab restarts, the MQTT broker reports it’s retained messages - including a status for the tasmota - rather than there being no status to report on (ie: offline-gone). I’m speculating, but curious if the restarting to find it gone, and PowerRetain alters your situation.
Details on PowerRetain at: https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/wiki/PowerOnState-Configuration

This is really interesting!
Please can someone guide me to a kind of description how to set my tasmotas?
I am reading here something about setoption19 and 59 or 52…
What is this for and what do I need to set to get the devices auto discovered?
I am on 2.5.3 and all devices various brands sonoff, Gosund, edragon are on 8.1.