Tasmota Plug switches on randomly

Hi There!

I have an openHAB2.4 with Mosquitto running on a RaspberryPI for my (starting) home automation.

Currently I have 4 Wifi plugs from “OxaOxe” ( https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07MQ4734T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) flashed with the Tasmota firmware 6.6.0.

Only one of these plugs is currently connected to a Lamp, and I have the problem that this lamp is switching on and of randomly and I do not find the cause for this.

In the OpenHAB event.log I can see the incoming notifications that the Plug switched on and off, but there is no command visible to have initiated that. There is also no visible pattern in the on/off-times (see attached logprint). There are no timers programmed in the UI of the smart plug. And this is where I am running out of ideas.

Apparently the switching originates within the tasmota-device. What could be the reason?

I have read the following article (sorry, german) earlier and it suggests that the esp8266 are somewhat “picky” concerning the power supply. Could it be that the power supply in these plugs (or maybe even only in this one specific plug?) is not good and somehow instabilities in the power supply could trigger this random switching?

https://arduino-hannover.de/2018/07/25/die-tuecken-der-esp32-stromversorgung/

Best regards,
Thomas

PS: I plugged in the additional plugs to see if they show the same behavior. I will let you know as soon as I was able to check the logs.

I assume you have no rules which switch on/off said switch?
Also, did you check the Tasmota Console if said behavior appears?

Which version of the MQTT Binding are you using?

Did you configure your MQTT Items, Things etc. textual or via PaperUI?
Did you configure a LWT?

Is there another MQTT Device with the same topic setup?
Did you try to log all MQTT messages and review if there is someone/something sending a command?

Please don’t be this one…
Is your openHAB/MQTT exposed to the Internet? If so, I gues with no protection, so random people can fiddle with your SmartHome.

2 Likes

I assume you have no rules which switch on/off said switch?

I have deleted all rules, so no, there is no rule to switch on/off said switch.

Also, did you check the Tasmota Console if said behavior appears?

Good point, did not look there yet!

Which version of the MQTT Binding are you using?

I am using the new MQTT-Binding that came with OpenHAB2.4

Did you configure your MQTT Items, Things etc. textual or via PaperUI?

PaperUI

Did you configure a LWT?

There are no Last Will messages

Is there another MQTT Device with the same topic setup?

There are only 5 MQTT devices, 4 Plugs and OpenHABs MQTT binding. All of them have unique topics, and in the timeframe in question, only OpenHAB and that one plug were powered anyways

Did you try to log all MQTT messages and review if there is someone/something sending a command?

I did not specifically try this, because until now I did not take into consideration any other device sending a command. In OpenHAB’s eventlog no command is recorded.

Please don’t be this one…

No, I am not this one.

Is your openHAB/MQTT exposed to the Internet?

Nope, it is not. Currently I am just trying around locally, planning to look into ways to connect from outside later. No port forwarding, no demilitarized zone, not even a VPN to connect to that network.

I am not sure if its your issue, but I remember that I had similar issues with a same setup (Mosquitto + Tasmota Switches) and the standard quality of service settings (qos=0).

I increased the quality of service and it was gone. Did you try this already?

1 Like

No, I haven’t tried anything with the QoS settings. Thanks for the tip, I will try that on the weekend!

I did not mean to say “I hope you are not that kind of a person” I meant to say like “Please don’t be this issue/problem”

Just to be clear :call_me_hand:

1 Like

I did not mean to say “I hope you are not that kind of a person”

I would have been perfectly fine with you saying exaclty this… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know in espHome that if it’s not able to talk to the home assistant API it will reboot itself every 5 Mon endless you tell it so. Does tasmota have the same thing?

Monitor your plugs uptime, that could let you know if it’s rebooting.

Thanks to all, apparently it was a malfunction of the specific switch. The other three switches I have did not show the same behavior. I will return it for an exchange.