Tell us your setup!

Because I think there is a missing link between the OpenHab app and the front and back end physical bindings, I would here like to pose following question, for all

Please be so kind to indicate following key points:

• actuators you are using, protocol they use, how many wires needed, voltage, …
  • how it is wired (literally physically) into your central ‘server’
  • what hardware you are running OpenHAB on, CPU, speed, RAM, Flash, …
  • how you are communicating the OpenHab signals to the actuators
  • which actuators are you using
  • what are the actuators controlling: lights, dimmers, blinds, heating, ventilation, cams, sound, …

I would be honoured to receive any information at all regarding this topic. I will generate a table from it so everybody will benifit

There is a good thread here. It has a lot of examples of what people are using.

Most could probably write a small book answering the questions you ask, I know I could.

My OH server is a home grown 2ghz quad core pentium j1900 mini itx with 4gb memory and 3tb enterprise sata drive running debian. It is way overkill for OH but it was already existing for other purposes. It basically idles all day but only uses about 20watts so that was the point.

I migrated from a vera. As such, I still use the vera as my zwave controller. I have about 20 zwave lights/dimmers and outlets. I have 3 honeywell zwstat thermostats. I use the vera binding/actions to get and control zwave devices. All of my gear is 120v as I live in the US and I haven’t worked with any of my 240 devices. Although if my wife leaves the oven on one more time… arduino time.

I have a dsc alarm so I use the dsc alarm binding to include the sensors.

I have a few home grown arduino projects leveraging various sensors and relays. They communicate via mqtt.

I control/monitor room lights, irrigation, fans, doorbell, harmony hub, dht22 temp sensors, garage doors, thermostats, outlets. Mostly simple turning lights and outlets on and off at the right times.

1 Like