Testing help needed for CUL refactoring

After the system reboot the error was gone and I was able the communicate with the CUL as planned. IMHO, no there should be no issue.

See https://github.com/openhab/openhab/issues/4455 and pr for it.

Found out by accident that the addon ā€œorg.openhab.io.transport.serial_3.12.0.a1.jarā€ isnā€™t needed using OH2 (ONLINE) Versio, in order the use an CUL to send data to Intertechno like plugs.

Does this apply for running OH2 on a raspberry pi with Debian jessie? I found out that the lock behavior is a bit different compared to other platforms.

Yes, Iā€™m working on a PI with OS Jessie.
ā€¦and sorry, but I donā€™t know what kind of ā€œlockā€ behavior you are talking about.

you can find the decription of the problem in the prior discussion. When OH opens the port a lock file is created. There has been an issue with this in prior versions of the referenced nrjavaserial lib. So seems to be solved - fine.

I made another test yesterday. Unfortunately I canā€™t confirm that CULintertechno is working without addon org.openhab.io.transport.serial_3.12.0.a1.jar. I still have to copy it in addons and uninstall org.openhab.io.transport.serial from the distribution. :frowning: But I donā€™t mind as long as it works this way :slight_smile:

OK.
Maybe my usage is different.
I did rename the .jar in the Addons folder to .jar.old. That way it shouldnā€™t be used.

Iā€™m using only the ā€œrawā€ commands, since I only have switches like Intertechno.

You can see whether its used or not by logging into karaf shell and submit bundle:list. Then you can see which serial binding is being used.

OK, using ā€œbundle:listā€ I found that Iā€™m still using the org.openhab.io.transport.serial_3.12.0.a1.jar".
Why is that, I did rename it to ā€œorg.openhab.io.transport.serial_3.12.0.a1.jar.oldā€ and restarted several times.
Do I have to manualy remove it somehow?

However I did not remove anything from the distribution!

Sorry for the false statement before, that was lack of knowledge!:flushed:

karaf fetches all needed dependencies and puts them into an optimized folder structure. You can find it in the userdata/cache folder. Thatā€™s why OH2 needs some time to start for the first time.
As I donā€™t know how it is prioritized when OH2 finds two jars for the same function, I prefer to use the safe way and uninstall the original io.transport.serial from the distribution to be shure that org.openhab.io.transport.serial_3.12.0.a1.jar is being used.

Having done a complete new install (after deleting the whole openhab-folder) I tried to use the CUL-Stick again without the manually added ā€œorg.openhab.io.transport.serial_3.12.0.a1.jarā€.
It works!
Binding installed via PaperUI is ā€œbinding-intertechno - 1.9.0.SNAPSHOTā€.
Bundle:list shows following entries:

204 | Active   |  80 | 1.9.0.201607190111    | openHAB CULIntertechno Binding
205 | Active   |  80 | 1.9.0.201607190111    | openHAB CUL Transport Bundle
206 | Active   |  80 | 2.0.0.201606271614    | openHAB Serial Transport Bundle

I tried to use my CUL stick in a new setup according the OpenHAB 2 documentation. The docs emphasis to run OH as user ā€œopenhabā€.
I tried that however the CUL-stick didnā€™t work, although I had made user ā€œopenhabā€ member of the dialout group.
Changing the to user to run OH to ā€œrootā€ resulted in a working CUL-stick.

Do I need to run as root?

same for me, it only works when i start openhab2 as root.
my setting is a clean openhab2 beta5 installation.
bindings used:

• fs20, 1.9 SNAPSHOT
  • fht, 1.9 SNAPSHOT
  • cul transport 1.9 SNAPSHOT
  • serial transport (installed as openhab2 feature)

user openhab is added to dialout group.
moreover i added -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyACM0 to my setenv-file without any success.

does anyone have a hint on this? is this a bug or just my unsufficient unix skills? :stuck_out_tongue:

[ERROR] [io.transport.cul.CULLifecycleManager] - Canā€™t open CUL
org.openhab.io.transport.cul.CULDeviceException: gnu.io.NoSuchPortException
at org.openhab.io.transport.cul.internal.serial.CULSerialHandlerImpl.openHardware(CULSerialHandlerImpl.java:100)
ā€¦
Caused by: gnu.io.NoSuchPortException
at gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.getPortIdentifier(CommPortIdentifier.java:273)
ā€¦
Unexpected problem updating configuration org.openhab.fs20
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.openhab.io.transport.cul.CULLifecycleListenerListenerRegisterer.open(CULLifecycleListenerListenerRegisterer.java:21)

This issue is solved, however only for the recent nigthly snapshots and not for the beta5 version . Sorry.

Iā€™m using Openhabian and the build #677

Do you know the particular change that solved the issue?
To my mind there are only 3 commits to master since beta5:

Maybe this change ? The part where the cusom.properties is changed ?
Sadly applying that patch (possible as only configuration files are changed) to my current installation wonā€™t work.

Nope, it was a change discussed in Here

ah i see, thanks for your info.
iā€™ll keep up with running as root until the next beta i.e. the final openhab2 is released.

back to topic:
with compatibility mode the 1.9 bindings work like a charm with openhab2.
i can confirm that FHT and FS20 are working in parallel with one CUL stick.
thanks for your effort @tarioch. If you need any assistance or further tests keep in touch.

I have a recent OH 2.1 SNAPSHOT installed. I use stick CULv3 (868) USB Stick with it. I have following bindings installed:

193 | Active   |  80 | 1.10.0.201702010211   | openHAB CULIntertechno Binding
194 | Active   |  80 | 1.10.0.201702010211   | openHAB CUL Transport Bundle
195 | Active   |  80 | 1.10.0.201702022206   | openHAB S300TH Binding'

Intertechno

Intertechno commands work perfectly fine. I did not have to start as root and use the apt-get installation on a raspberry. What I had to do is to add Java extra option for the serial ports:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/default/openhab2 
EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS="-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyACM0:/dev/ttyACM1"

( In my setup ttyACM0 is a zwave stick and ttyACM1 is the CUL )

S300TH

But S300TH readings do not seem to work. So I have following questions:

1. The S300TH binding was not available via Paper UI nor via feature list in karaf. I had to checkout the openhab1-addons repo and build it locally via maven. Why is this binding not available?

2. When I use the screen command to put the CUL in listening mode (X21 command), I see the sensor readings of my 2 sensors ( ASH2200 ):

111462450F
    111462450F
    012152432A

Also after setting the CUL io to package to debug I get following logs:

09:45:17.707 [DEBUG] [port.cul.internal.AbstractCULHandler] - Received raw message from CUL: K1115924814
09:45:17.710 [DEBUG] [port.cul.internal.AbstractCULHandler] - Requesting credit report
09:45:17.733 [DEBUG] [port.cul.internal.AbstractCULHandler] - Received raw message from CUL: 21  900
09:45:17.735 [DEBUG] [port.cul.internal.AbstractCULHandler] - credit10ms = 900
09:47:23.164 [DEBUG] [port.cul.internal.AbstractCULHandler] - Received raw message from CUL: K011712462C
09:47:23.167 [DEBUG] [port.cul.internal.AbstractCULHandler] - Requesting credit report
09:47:23.190 [DEBUG] [port.cul.internal.AbstractCULHandler] - Received raw message from CUL: 21  900
09:47:23.192 [DEBUG] [port.cul.internal.AbstractCULHandler] - credit10ms = 900
09:51:10.720 [DEBUG] [port.cul.internal.AbstractCULHandler] - Received raw message from CUL: K111592480F
09:51:10.724 [DEBUG] [port.cul.internal.AbstractCULHandler] - Requesting credit report
09:51:10.747 [DEBUG] [port.cul.internal.AbstractCULHandler] - Received raw message from CUL: 21  900
09:51:10.751 [DEBUG] [port.cul.internal.AbstractCULHandler] - credit10ms = 900

However, the S300TH binding seems not to be called. Do I need to configure something to get the S300TH binding added as listener to the CUL io add-on ?

my items:

Number ASH2200Temp2 "AS2200 (2) Temperatur [%.1f C]" 	<temperature>		{s300th="address=2;datapoint=TEMPERATURE"} 
Number ASH2200Temp1 "AS2200 (1) Temperatur [%.1f C]" 	<temperature>		{s300th="address=1;datapoint=TEMPERATURE"} 

Any help about the S300TH readings would be highly appreciated. Thx

OK, solved myself. My stupid error was to forget to configure the s300th binding. So in /etc/openhab2/services I added now a file called s300th.cfg with follwowing content:

device=serial:/dev/ttyACM1

Then then the binding registers itself on the already existing cul device and reacts on messages as expected :slight_smile:

However, one question staysā€¦ Why is the s300th binding not part of the official distribution, respectively indexed as add-on to be installed via paper ui!?