Thank you all!

I’d love to be able to start that early. Our last blizzard (not just snow, it is usually a doozy of a storm) and hard freeze is usually around May 15th. I’ve lost several seedlings trying to move them out too early. I gave up on tomatoes, at least from seed. The season is too short and I don’t have a good enough setup to start them indoors early enough.

It’s mid-August to early September for us.

I think that could be managed. I would go about it as follows:

• set up DateTime Items for each planting type
  • make sure they are configured with persistence and restoreOnStartup, MapDB would be more than adequate for this
  • create a Switch to press when you do plant
  • create a Rule that fires when the Switch receives an ON command that postUpdate(new DateTime(now.plusDays(180).millis)) to the DateTime Item corresponding with that Switch. Obviously use the appropriate number of days
  • create a Rule that triggers once a day that checks whether one of the DateTimes is today and if so send an alert

One can use Groups to make these rules a little more generic, but given the multiple additional criteria it might be easier to treat each crop separately.

It keeps the data for ever. But what it does is decimate the date as it gets older, replacing several data points with one point calculated as the average. Since rrd4j requires saving the data every minute but your DateTime will not be changing, the averages calculated will be the same value as the original DateTime so you won’t be losing any data or precision.

But in this case, all you care about is the most recent DateTime so MapDB is a better choice.

Lots of people, including myself, are really happy with InfluxDB. And I recommend using more than one DB anyway.

2 Likes