Toon API add-on not working anymore. Invalid API response

well filing an issue seems to have done nothing?? Or is there anybody that got the Toon binding working again?

Agree, this community does not seem to care that a dead, completely useless, Toon-plugin exists in the Openhab store that nobody wants to fix for half a year now.

+1. not working:

Can somebody please fix this?

This has nothing to do with the community. It has to do with the development of the binding. If he/she is gone, do it yourself and stop behaving like a spoiled prat.

3 Likes

You are somebody and you care about this. Are you volunteering or offering a bounty for some volunteer developer?

I have rooted my Toon because of this.
There is a very useful binding for Rooted Toon thermostats

See
Rooted (locally accessible) Toon

Ah, this quality response after eight months does also not represent the community?

The user community here is separate from the developers who work on the software. All are volunteers though and would gladly refund the money you paid for this software. You are free to demand a refund of the money you paid for this software.

Many concerned users have used bountysource to offer a bounty for developers to fix bindings that are important to them.

Bruce, thank you, clear story.

I do not mind paying for some fix or solution, the problem is that I cannot rely on a quick fix when a hardware supplier changes something in a key part. After waiting for a couple of months, I had to abandon Openhab.

When a developer then shouts ‘do it yourself’ after eight months silence, I do think the community has a problem. I hope not, Openhab is a great solution.

You misspelled developers. :wink:

If you would have searched, you quite easily would have found that tread

which shows the original developer and you could have addressed him directly using
@jongj
in your post instead of waiting 8 month and blaming others for beeing silent.

Wow constructive answer! Blame the stupid user… But did you notice the project and the link you sent is dead? I sure could have made a mistake, but maybe you are not completely flawless yourself.

Fyi, I did search, I did write a message to the developer, and finally I posted this question.

So why didn’t you tell us that there was no response from the developer, or did I miss that ? Such information is very important for us, so we can update the CODEOWNERS list on github and possibly mark the binding as no longer maintained. This then would prevent users from frustration like yours.

2 Likes

So why can’t you communicate without trying to blame me for everything? I was not frustrated at all, I only tried to address two issues: the Toon plugin is dead, and the community did not seem to care about this dead plugin in the store. Note that a couple of people asked questions about this and did not get any response too.

I thought that was a pity because I know OpenHab is a great product, but with answers like yours you are destroying the community.
Nb I would have rewritten the plugin if I could count on proper support here.

I am not a developer, by the way. Just a satisfied user who gives back the way he can. I help the forum. If I could write a binding, I would.

1 Like

To make one point clear: the community is not responsible for development or maintanance of any binding or bundle. Some developers are very active in the community, others are not, so how should the maintainer-group know about an unmaintainded binding ?
If a developer stops actively maintaing his binding, it is his choice, but he should inform the maintainers about that changed situation. As all developers are volunteering into openHAB, it is very hard to find a new one to do the requested/needed updates like in your case. Development can be very difficult without having the device at hands, that’s my expirience from the WeMo binding.

2 Likes

In the issue linked earlier the developer responded in the comments last August that he lo longer has the thermostat or a subscription.

But it also states that this is not needed, as Toon offers a developer account :wink:

1 Like

To avoid further disappointments of users installing this non-functional binding I’ve removed the toon binding: https://github.com/openhab/openhab-addons/pull/6802

3 Likes

This might be a good moment to promote my Toon binding. It only works on rooted Toons, mind you. Introduction is here: Rooted (locally accessible) Toon, download link is here: https://gofile.io/?c=kjbHgU