Totally lost after new install

Update
I will consider this ‘Solved’ for now, presuming that it was an SD card issue

I am pretty lost after a new install
yesterday my Openhab application progerssively deterioted, icons disappeared, groups disappeared, lots of error messages, so i decided to no longer much about with installing backups I made, but to just do a fresh and clean install.
So, I saved my conf files, noted which addons i had and installed the latest openhabian (1.3 -> openhab 2.1.0-1)
Then I put back my conf files in the new install, installed the proper addons… ran the openhabian-config for the necessary elements.
But now I am stuck… though my openhab application (I mean the one I myself made with sitemap and itemsfile) opens, most of my menu choices (so the ones I defined myself in my sitemap/itemsfile) do not work

Also My astrobinding does not work, my weatherbinding does not work my ntp binding does not work but I cant even begin to repair those as long as my application (so the one I made with sitemap and itemsfile) does not open further.

The only menu I can open is the weathermenu I defined… and when I scroll to the bottem my phoneapp crashes

When I check my paperUI, my astrobinding doesnt seem connected to any item, so when I tried that, I see there are no items at all in my configuration, eventhough I have a full items file in the conf files

Honestly, I am kinda stuck, I have no idea where to start on tackling this because my sitemp/itemsfile defined application will not open most menus.

I checked my sitemap and itemsfile with smart designer and that doesnt show any errors, Get the impression somehow my items are not recognized

Anybody any tips on how to tackle this?

Sorry to hear…
Not sure there is enough information to go on, here a few questions

• assuming you are using a raspberry, did you use a new SD card for you install (your description sounds like a failing SD-card)? If not, this would would be the first step you should try, take a good, grand new SD card, flash it and start with that.

If that does not help, here some more info that would be helpful to know:

• what is your system
  • what version were you upgrading from
  • can you post your logfiles any error messages
    assuming you are using a raspberry, did you use a new SD card for you install (your description sounds like a failing SD-card)

Thanks Markus, I have used several sd cards, but made sure I used a new one for this (my 5th)
Have had problems in the past that were all contributed to ‘failing cards’ eventhjough new, but I git a new card for this again. seems my 5th one.

It is indeed a raspberry 3
Well, not sure if you can call it upgrading, it is a totally fresh install og openhabian V1.3 = OH2
But the config files were from what I presume might have been OH 1 but not sure

interestingly I just copied the demo.sitemap file to my disk (and then I do get a lot of menus to open again and the weather and astrobinding seem to work. Many of my itemnames came from the demomap.
So I am not sure if it is a failing SD card (not every SD card I buy should fail after a few weeks)

I am afraid my log files are a bit too big, but in the openhab I see errors like this, which is no doubt why it cant find certain submenus

2017-08-06 13:46:19.386 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'gFF' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Group
    2017-08-06 13:46:19.387 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'gFF' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Group
    2017-08-06 13:46:19.389 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Group
    2017-08-06 13:46:19.391 [WARN ] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Group 'Eerste verdieping' could not be found.
2017-08-06 15:54:19.935 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'TimeSetpoint' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2017-08-06 15:54:19.936 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'TimeSetpoint' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2017-08-06 15:54:19.937 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2017-08-06 15:54:19.939 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'TimeSetpoint2' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2017-08-06 15:54:19.940 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'TimeSetpoint2' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2017-08-06 15:54:19.941 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2017-08-06 15:54:19.943 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'MoistureSampleTime' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2017-08-06 15:54:19.944 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'MoistureSampleTime' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2017-08-06 15:54:19.945 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2017-08-06 15:54:19.946 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'Aquaponicspump' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2017-08-06 15:54:19.947 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'Aquaponicspump' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2017-08-06 15:54:19.948 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Setpoint
2017-08-06 15:54:19.950 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'Weather_Temperature' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Text
2017-08-06 15:54:19.951 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'Weather_Temperature' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Text
2017-08-06 15:54:19.952 [WARN ] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve color item Weather_LastUpdate for widget
2017-08-06 15:54:19.953 [WARN ] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve color item Weather_LastUpdate for widget
2017-08-06 15:54:19.954 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Text
2017-08-06 15:54:19.955 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Text
2017-08-06 15:54:19.957 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'CurrentDate' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Text
2017-08-06 15:54:19.958 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item 'CurrentDate' for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Text
2017-08-06 15:54:19.959 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Text
2017-08-06 15:54:19.961 [ERROR] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Cannot retrieve item for widget org.eclipse.smarthome.model.sitemap.Text
2017-08-06 15:54:50.349 [WARN ] [ui.internal.items.ItemUIRegistryImpl] - Group 'Begane grond' could not be found.
org.eclipse.smarthome.core.items.ItemNotFoundException: Item 'gGF' could not be found in the item registry

Mainly that it can’t find things that I see are present in my items file.
And as said…after I put the demo.sitemap on there (not the demo.items file) suddenly menus will open and I see astro data… but my own sitemap file (basically an extesion of the demo file) worked previously as well and registers as faultless in smarthome designer

I may very soon be out of my depth, but it might be more revealing to look at the part of your log-files that captures the system start; maybe something goes wrong there that gives you more pointers?

I understand and I appreciate your input. I did look at the logs and thoughj I see a lot of warnings I see no errors other than the ones I just described.

Just that it cant retrieve items or cant find groups

Ok, here is my last wisdom: not sure whether that applies to you and likely you tried this already:
does anything change with a soft restart? (sudo systemctl restart openhab2 hope that works in openhabian too)
Frequently after updates (or brand new installs) I see similar errors that you describe and other erratic behavior, my log files are full or warning and errors, and when I give the new system 10 mins or so and simply restart openhab, all is well after the restart, clean logs, all items are there, no widget warnings, etc.
There does not seem to be a solution in sight though Huge error log after update or reboot, restart with systemctl is clean though
Maybe this helps

:slight_smile: Nope, have tried that soft restart, reboot, nope.
Nevertheless, thank you very much for your input.
My next step will be to add items to the demo sitemap again till it is a copy of my regular sitemap. Seems berserk, but dont know what else to do.

But yes… sometimes time fixes problems as well

When I upgraded to 2.2 from 2, I had a lot of missing items, etc … Which were caused by minor errors in my items & things files, where I had things such as normal brackets instead of curly brackets.

2.2 is more fussy about errors, so that might be it.

You are totally correct. I am on 2 and that already is less forgiving than 1,
but i had smart designer check my files.

In the past i already had made an upgrade to 2.0 and i ironed out an error in my sitemap… due to a crash I went back to an old install… and then was warned not to upgrade coz of kernel panic.
As i kept experiencing problems, I thought i wld just make a clean install :slight_smile:

I have gotten a bit further as suddenly my classic UI said it could not find my sitemap.
So… I renamed the sitemap to something random… just to keep it on that area of the SD card and then put on a copy of that sitemap on the SD card.

After that a lot more works. In fact everything is working except weather and ntp binding… but i will sort that out
This would AGAIN suggest… a faulty SD card… it is my 5th, maybe I live in fake sd card central or something, bought them at different suppliers, but Samsung and Kingston seem to be the only ones I can get. Perhaps I will try 8Gb ipv 16 Gb.

Anyway, works for now but I better get a new SDcard… again

Did you try another power supply yet?

Udo, Thanks. Yes I did. Tried several. Maybe somehow I need to add a big capacitor over its powerline, just to make sure :slight_smile:
The problem seemed to be that it had trouble reading the items file… though yet again another sitemap could.
SD card was new… doesnt register any faults, formatted fine… but still… will try a new card.

Nevertheless, spikes and dropoffs in the PSU could be the culprit.

For now however renaming my items file, leaving it on the sd card as a dummy and putting on a new copy of the itemsfile seemed to have cured most of the problems… strongly suggesting a faulty locus on the SD card