Trane Thermostat Temperature Not Displaying Correctly

Yikes, no backup. How do I do that?

:grimacing:

sudo openhab-cli backup --full
It will tell you the location of the zip file (var/lib/openhab2/backups). Move the file to your PC (I use FileZilla) or to USB stick and keep safe.

To restore the backup:

Place the backup zip file into the backups folder
then,

sudo systemctl stop openhab2

openhab-cli restore /path/to/zipped/backup (var/lib/openhab2/backups)

sudo systemctl start openhab2

Thanks a lot for the help! I’ll be back in touch!

They make many different models (we have 4 listed in our database). From here I cannot determine which one you have.

Bruce, it is the Trane XR524 Z-Wave Thermostat.

OK I was looking to unusual settings or parameters but found none. The device listig is at
https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/314

That is the time after it sends a command until it polls the device. I notice my devices, which I have not set. are at 1500. Perhaps raising that value might help if it is polling too soon after sending a command.

Okay, I’m officially stumped (I was originally officially stumped, but now I’m officially-officially stumped).

I deleted the thermostat thing, deleted the thermostat items in my .items file, and cleared the cache, then rebooted and re-attached the thermostat thing. Unfortunately, I’m getting the same temperature displayed as before – 69.80F.

One curiosity: I set up the item again in my .items file as here –

Number:Temperature FF_Thermostat "Temperature [%.1f °F]" <temp> { channel="zwave:device:80457dfb:node7:sensor_temperature" }

– but I noticed when setting up a dummy widget in HabPanel that there were two selections on the dropdown for the item. One read

FF_Thermostat

temperature

and the other read

zwave_device_80457dfb_node7_sensor_temperature

Sensor (temperature)

Why are there two selections for this item? Should I not define the item in my .items file?

I’m very confused here.

Did you make sure that simple mode was turned off before deleting and clearing cache?

You can use either PaperUI or Items file but not both. If you use items file it will appear in PaperUI but the configuration should be done inside the file.

I did close simple mode before clearing the cache.

You comment of PaperUI vs .items has me wondering. So a few questions:

Items don’t appear when using simple mode, so there’s no way to configure them except through the file, right?

I would definitely need an .items file if I’m building a panel UI later in something like HabPanel, right?

A .sitemap file would only be necessary if I’m using the Basic UI, right?

And to the point, why are both of those duplicate items showing up in the selection window in HabPanel, and which one should I choose?

Could the fact that both of these show up in the interface be causing the problem I’m experiencing with displaying the correct temperature?

Why would that temperature that is being displayed always read 69.80F? Where would that be coming from?

Thanks again, H102, for your help!

Honestly, I took everyones advice when setting up OH the first time and have never turned on simple mode (at least not that I can remember, :upside_down_face:).

I do not use HabPanel so not sure.

For BasicUI and ClassicUI for sure.

Have a look in both of these locations, below, for duplicate links/items. If you see one then delete it (I would keep the one that is used in your files) but stop OH first as you should never make a change to these files while OH is running.

Look in: /var/lib/openhab2/jsondb/org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.link.ItemChannelLink.json and make sure there isn’t a Link hanging around. Also, for items check: /var/lib/openhab2/jsondb/org.eclipse.smarthome.core.items.Item.json

BTW you can look only by using cat with a space at the start of the path.
Example:
cat /var/lib/openhab2/jsondb/org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.link.ItemChannelLink.json

Yes, if both are real items/links then OH does not know which one to use. Maybe that is why you see the correct reading only sometimes.

Hi @jjudson please did you get your XR524 to work? I just bought two XR524’s and I’m experiencing similar problems. My temperature sensor isn’t updating in openhab, except one or maybe twice in a day, even though I see the temperature moving in the XR524’s screen.