Translate from javascript to rules DSL

One more thing you might be able to help me with.

Any suggestions for how to limit the maximum change?
The problem is that when the weather condition changes, the color temperature makes a big step and is very noticable. It should ideeally only make amaximum step of approx 100K per change.

See this graph of what happens - The green line (Calculatede temp) should smoothly transition instead of these big steps.

Uuh, that’s hard…
I would recommend an additional Item and rule. The one rule does the change of Value, another rule gets the change, does a comparison between current value and suggested value, if difference is too big, it starts a timer which does the steps to smoothen the transition.

1 Like

Been trying to get this working.
The first rule is ok, but the second rule which is supposed to apply the value to all lights that are on is not working for me.
Any ideas?

rule "Sun elevation test"
when
    Item testSwitch changed 
then
    logInfo("Light Color Temperature", "Sun elevation test log")
    val SunElevation = (AstroSunData_Elevation.state as Number + 6).intValue
    val Number Clouds = Localweatherandforecast_Cloudiness.state
    val weatherCond = Localweatherandforecast_WeatherCondition.state
    val weatherID = Localweatherandforecast_Current_Conditionid.state
    val outputstart = 2200
    val outputend = 6000
    val inputstart = 0
    val inputend = 46
    val Number output1 = outputstart + (outputend - outputstart) / (inputend - inputstart) * (SunElevation - inputstart)
    val Number output2 = Math.min(Math.max(output1, 2200), 6000) 

logInfo("Calulated temperature by Sun elevation", output2.toString)

val Number cloudFactor = Math.floor( (output2.intValue - 2200) * (Clouds.intValue * 0.002))
    logInfo("cloudFactor", cloudFactor.toString)

val Number newColourValue = Math.min(Math.max((output2.intValue - cloudFactor.intValue), 2200), 6000)
    logInfo("newColourValue", newColourValue.toString)

Calculated_ColorTemperature.sendCommand(newColourValue)

end

rule "Updated Calculated Color" // Send Calculated Color Temperature to all lights thata are ON
when
    Item Calculated_ColorTemperature changed 
then
    logInfo("Updated Calculated Color", "Running Color Temp Update")
    gAll_Lights_Brightness.members.filter[i|i.state > 0].forEach[item|
        gAll_Lights_ColorTemperature.members.filter[j|j.name.contains(item.name)].head.sendCommand(newState)
    ]

end

Please try casting to Number:

rule "Updated Calculated Color" // Send Calculated Color Temperature to all lights thata are ON
when
    Item Calculated_ColorTemperature changed 
then
    gAll_Lights_Brightness.members.filter[i|(i.state as Number) > 0].forEach[item|
        gAll_Lights_ColorTemperature.members.filter[j|j.name.contains(item.name)].head.sendCommand(newState)
    ]
end

Are the Item names matching (i.e. having Items like MyLight in Group gAll_Lights_Brightness and the matiching Item MyLightColortemp in Group gAll_Lights_ColorTemperature)?

Yes. They have the same name except for the last piece.
Is this why it isn’t working? Because it’s trying to match the whole name including the ‘_Brightness’ bit?

This didnt work

Script execution of rule with UID 'sun2-1' failed: Could not cast UNDEF to java.lang.Number; line 6, column 46, length 17 in sun2

That’ pretty self-evident. One of your Items does not yet have a valid state.
That’s always a possibility e.g. a device is unplugged etc. You can code around it by testing before trying to handle it as number.

Yes. There was one light not powered on.
The log error has gone, but it still does not send the new color temp to the _ColorTemperature items.

Can someone explain what the .head part of this does?

gAll_Lights_ColorTemperature.members

This make a list (of member Items)

.filter[j|j.name.contains(item.name)]

This filters the elements in the list according to some conditions.
The result is still a list.
The list may be empty.

.head

Gets the first element of that list.
The result is no longer a list, it’s that actual object. (an Item here)
Or if the list is empty, it’s null.

So it still seems like I need to find a way to change the filter search term from item_Brightness to item_ColorTemperature somehow?

I think you’d find this useful

If you can build the complete name string that you want, you can fetch it direct without rummaging in Groups at all.

I have read through this a a few times already. I’m struggling to find what I’m looking for.

I’ve been working on this problem for a long time and I think I’m stuck. I’m just not getting how the filters are working and how to manipulate it.

Your last question was about string manipulation, not filters.

Item with name fred_banana.
Item with name fred_apple.
If you have source Item fred_banana, how do you make “fred_apple”?

val targetSubstring = sourceItem.name.split("_")
// that creates an array with parts "fred" and "banana"
// part 0 and part 1 respectively
val targetItemName = targetSubstring.get(0) + "_apple"
// we can pick one part and just stitch strings together
// now we have a string "fred_apple"

// that's just a string
// we can do limited stuff with an Item name string
sendCommand(targetItemName, "ON")

// but often you'll want to get the actual Item

val directItem = ScriptServiceUtil.getItemRegistry.getItem(targetItemName)
// but this will blow up and stop the rule if that Item does not exist

val searchItem = gSomeGroup.members.findFirst[ j | j.name == targetItemName]
// .findFirst[ ] is just a handy shortcut version of .filter[ ].head
// this will return null if it doesn't exist
// allowing your rule to continue and deal with it gracefully
if (searchItem === null) {
   logInfo("test", "Oh dear, Item " + targetItemName + " not found")
}

Break the rule down and add logging.

“not working for me” is not very descriptive. There are a million ways that rule could not be working. Is it triggering? Generating an error?

As rossko tried to do for you, break it down command by command.

The first command in the rule logs out. Look in the logs for that statement to confirm the rule is triggering at all.

Break that long group line down into multiple lines. Save gAll_Lights_Brightness.members to a variable and log it out. Is it as expected?

Save the .filter to a variable and log it out. Is it as expected?

Add a logging statement to your forEach so you can see that the loop is running.

Do the same for the filter on gAll_Lights_ColorTemperature. Or even better, forget the filter and just sendCommand to the Item by name.

sendCommand(i.name+"ColorItem", newState)

Obviously use what ever naming scheme is appropriate.

That raises a question. newState? What the heck is that? It’s not defined anywhere.

Thanks. I think this is what was asking for. However, after thinking about this, trying to apply this to my problem doesn’t work. For example, Kitchen_Ceiling_Light_Brightness and Hall_Lamp have a different number of splits, so I can’t use a set number of splits to get the right bit.
Where can I find the refences to these things like .name .split .get(0) .head? I can’t find it in the documentation. I’m wondering if I can somehow get the last split and then replace it with _ColorTemperature.

Thanks,

Sorry for any vagueness. I had logged everything out to get to this point and this is the last piece I’m not sure how to break down and test.
The rule is triggering and I have been monitoring the logs, but no further errors are being shown.
I added a log to this filter at the end so it looks like

logInfo("loggerName", item.toString)
    ]

And in the logs, when the rule triggers, I get a log line for each light that is on which looks like

[INFO ] [openhab.core.model.script.loggerName] - BackRoom_Ceiling_Light_Brightness (Type=DimmerItem, State=100, Label=Brightness, Category=slider, Tags=[Control, Light], Groups=[BackRoom_Ceiling_Light, gAll_Lights_Brightness, gAll_Lights_OnOff, gSelection_ItemsToRestoreOnStartUp])

I believe this is the full item object being listed from the first filter. But I can’t see how I get from this to the second part, changing _Brightness for _ColorTemperature to get the right item name.

newState is the new state of the CalculatedColorTemperature item that triggers the rule

You could recreate your Items to follow a set naming pattern.

If you know it will always be “_Lamp”, for example you can use replace.

i.name.replace("_Lamp", "_ColorTemperature")

They are all parts of the Java Classes you are working with.

Method Where it’s maintained Link to JavaDocs
.name openHAB, part of Item GenericItem (openHAB Core 4.2.0-SNAPSHOT API)
.split Core Java, part of String String (Java SE 11 & JDK 11 )
.get(0) Core Java, Rules DSL converts arrays to an ArrayList. ArrayList (Java SE 11 & JDK 11 )
.head Part of Xtend’s way to process Lists. Their docs are all over the place though. It’s a layer on top of Java’s Stream API. I’ve consolidated this at the following DP. Design Pattern: Working with Groups in Rules

Doh, I’ve been away from Rules DSL for too long.

Like I said, save each step to it’s own variable instead of trying to do everything all on one line.

val members = gAll_Lights_Brightness.members
logInfo("test", "All members: " + members)
val filtered = members.filter[i | i.state as Number > 0]
logInfo("test", "Filtered: " + filtered)
filtered.forEach[item |
    logInfo("test", "Processing Item " + item.name)
    // here is where it's better to do String manipulation to convert item.name to the ColorTemperature
    // Item's name, even if it means you have to rename those Items to fit the pattern
    // sendCommand(item.name.replace("Lamp", "ColorTemperature"), newState.toString)
    // or maybe it's as simple as
    // sendCommand(item.name + "_ColorTemperature", newState.toString)

// As explained in the working with groups DP linked above, use findFirst instead of filter and head
    val commandItem = gAll_Lights_ColorTemperature.members.findFirst[ j | j.name.contains(item.name) ]
    logInfo("test", "Color Item found is " + commandItem) // if this is null the Item was not found
    commandItem.sendCommand(newState)
]

Break it up and log each step of the way. If you do half a dozen operations all on the same line and it doesn’t work it’s impossible to figure out why.

1 Like

These are features of the Xtend language upon which DSL is based.
In turn that’s based on Java, so Java tutorials will give you insight into what you can do to with a Java string object.

If you choose a more consistent Item naming convention, you make it easier for yourself.
(I expect most of us oldtimers have gone through several renaming/restructuring exercises already).

However;

val randomName = "some_old_rubbish_lamp"
val parts = randomName.split("_") 
var n = 0
var newName = ""
while (parts.get(n) != "lamp") {
    newName = newName + parts.get(n) + "_"
    // remember to put the underscores back
    n = n + 1
}
newName = newName + "brightness"
logInfo("test", "new name " + newName)
// logs out string "some_old_rubbish_brightness"

More than one way to do this I expect.

lastIndexOf('_') being the cunning part here

Thank you all.

I’ve learnt maybe 1% of what you’ve laid out here so far, but I’ll keep going.

My rule now works and I can go about cleaning it up, refining it, and tweaking it further.

Here are the finished rules:

rule "Sun Color Temperature - Set Color Temperature by Sun Elevation"
when
    Item AstroSunData_Elevation changed 
then
    logInfo("Color Temperature", "Sun elevation has changed, updating Calculated Color Temperture if necessary")
    if (newState >= -6) {
        val SunElevation = (AstroSunData_Elevation.state as Number + 6).intValue
        val Number Clouds = Localweatherandforecast_Cloudiness.state
        val weatherCond = Localweatherandforecast_WeatherCondition.state
        val weatherID = Localweatherandforecast_Current_Conditionid.state
        val outputstart = 2200
        val outputend = 6000
        val inputstart = 0
        val inputend = 46
        val Number output1 = outputstart + (outputend - outputstart) / (inputend - inputstart) * (SunElevation - inputstart)
        val Number output2 = Math.min(Math.max(output1, 2200), 6000) 

val Number cloudFactor = Math.floor( (output2.intValue - 2200) * (Clouds.intValue * 0.002))
        val Number newColourValue = Math.min(Math.max((output2.intValue - cloudFactor.intValue), 2200), 6000)

Calculated_ColorTemperature.sendCommand(newColourValue)
            logInfo("Color Temperature", "Calculated Temp is " + output2 + "K - Cloud Factor (" + Clouds + ". Calculated as " + cloudFactor + "K) = " + (output2 - cloudFactor) + "K")

}
end

rule "Sun Color Temperature - Send Calculated Color to all lights thata are ON"
when
    Item Calculated_ColorTemperature received update 
then
    logInfo("Color Temperature", "Applying Color Temperature to all lights that are ON")
        gAll_Lights_ColorTemperature.members.filter[j|j.name.contains(item.name.replace("_Brightness", "_ColorTemperature"))].head.sendCommand(newState)

]
end
end```