Trouble switching to systemd-network on Openhabian 1.5 based on Buster for implementing dynamic failover

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry pi 3 v1.2
    • Java Runtime Environment: openhabian standard
    • openHAB version: 2.5.0 release
  • Issue of the topic: Cannot switch to systemd-network on openhabian image 1.5 based on buster

I wish to implement network dynamic failover to WiFi for my headless raspberry pi v3 running openHAB 2.5: the reason is that i would like to keep network connection even when ethernet is disconnected (my wifi router and the raspberry are UPS connected but my switch is not, so in case of power outage the raspberry is isolated from the network).
I followed instructions on this recent stackexchange link and on a freshly installed sd card with raspbian buster it works on my hardware.

When I try to follow the same instructions on the openhabian image downloaded last month (i.e. based on raspbian buster) the same instructions do not work: I am not a network expert but looking at logs it seems to me that the switch from networking to systemd-network is not successfull.

Is perhaps the openhabian set of scripts based on networking, so that it is not possible to use systemd-network instead?

Thank you for your attention,
Lionello

Not sure this is OH related but maybe someone here can help.

@Bruce_Osborne is good with networking so perhaps he can give some advice.

Well openHABian does not really do anything special about networking but if you configure networking, it’ll do that based on buster and won’t expect systemd-network to run so I don’t know what will happen, and obviously this does not work well with each other.
I’d refrain from that sort of hacking if you want to keep the advantage of openHABian giving you a standard system that we (community) have experiences in.
Get a UPS for your switch if you consider that to be important.

1 Like

I second this vote!! Besides if you have a switch that means other things are offline also.

And what about all sensors and actuators ?
Just slightly off topic and not for everyone, but I’m just busy planning for a photovoltaic on my roof to include battery storage and just found out that there’s now inverters/extensions you can deploy to be a full house UPS. If that works out that’ll allow me to get rid of all of my lead based UPSs.

1 Like

@mstormi love this idea!!

Thanks for your answer. The UPS for the switch is a bit of an overkill in my case: the failover would have been useful just to keep the communication between openhab and the nut clients during the outage. I’ll give up for now, waiting for the interface bonding to become standard in raspbian.

FWIW, it took a long time to install but now it’s finally in operation.
Just have to stop my kids from gaming all night now, too much battery drain…
And no NUT support, unfortunately. NUT devs don’t think BIG enough :wink:

PS: but it has Modbus
PPS: yes total overkill but I love it, too!