Tutorial: Cooper RFWC5 Scene Controller with OpenHAB2

I finally got my Cooper RFWC5 Scene Controller to work (sort of) with OpenHAB2 and wanted to share how I did to hopefully help anyone else. This setup allows for the controlling of light scenes fromt he controller but isn’t meant to update the scene controller based on other rules in the background. This is based on using an Aeotec Z-stick and Aeon Labs Zensys-tools.

Much thanks to @phinnay and @Peter_Maunz since this is based on their posts and work, just pulling it all together into a single location and figuring out the Scene Number with some trial and error.

I’ve tried to capture the steps I used without going back through it end-to-end so if you run into any issues let me know and we can modify the steps as necessary:

1. Associate the scene controller to OpenHAB and copy the .xml file from your userdata/zwave directory

2. Exclude the scene controller from OpenHAB

3. Download and install Zensys-tools (I found a copy here, or you’ll have to search Google for it - http://www.moonlitzwave.com/zensys-tools.zip)

4. Disconnect the Z-stick from your OPenHAB and connect it to your computer you running Zensys-tools on

5. In Zensys-tools start Network Wide Inclusion, and press the off button on the Scene Controller

6. Once you see the scene controller added (the new node will be titled “Static Controller”) push the abort button on the inclusion screen (note the Node Number)

7. Go to the Command Class tab in Zensys-tools and send the following commands (your controller ID is likely 1 but verify before sending):

COMMAND_CLASS_ASSOCIATION_V2/ASSOCIATION_SET, Group ID = 1, Node ID = [your controller ID]
	COMMAND_CLASS_ASSOCIATION_V2/ASSOCIATION_SET, Group ID = 2, Node ID = [your controller ID]
	COMMAND_CLASS_ASSOCIATION_V2/ASSOCIATION_SET, Group ID = 3, Node ID = [your controller ID]
	COMMAND_CLASS_ASSOCIATION_V2/ASSOCIATION_SET, Group ID = 4, Node ID = [your controller ID]
	COMMAND_CLASS_ASSOCIATION_V2/ASSOCIATION_SET, Group ID = 5, Node ID = [your controller ID]
  1. From the Command Class tab in Zensys-tools, send the following commands to setup your scene associations:

COMMAND_CLASS_SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF_V1/SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF_SET, Group ID = 1, Scene ID = 1, Dimming duration = 0
COMMAND_CLASS_SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF_V1/SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF_SET, Group ID = 2, Scene ID = 2, Dimming duration = 0
COMMAND_CLASS_SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF_V1/SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF_SET, Group ID = 3, Scene ID = 3, Dimming duration = 0
COMMAND_CLASS_SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF_V1/SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF_SET, Group ID = 4, Scene ID = 4, Dimming duration = 0
COMMAND_CLASS_SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF_V1/SCENE_CONTROLLER_CONF_SET, Group ID = 5, Scene ID = 5, Dimming duration = 0

1. Test your buttons and make sure you see response messages in the Action Log when you push them

2. Rename the .xml file you copied in step 1 to reflect the Node Number of your Scene Controller and copy it back toyour userdata/zwave directory. Edit the third line of the file (NodeId) to reflect the new node number.

3. Disconnect the Z-stick from your Zensys-tools and reattach it to OpenHAB (depending on your setup you may need to restart OpenHAB or your Zwave binding)

4. Run a discovery on Zwave and your Scene Controller Node should show up in your inbox

5. Add the node to your Things. You should see a Scene Number channel that you can create an Item for. This channel will publish a number corresponding to the respective button pushes on your Scene Controller

6. Check your association groups and make sure each one associates to your OpenHAB controller (I think you need to delete the blank one in each association as well)

7. Now you can create a rule to fire on update to the Scene Number item.

8. For any device that you turn on with each scene number, go back into your Scene Controller Thing and associate that device with the same Association Group as the scene/button you are using to trigger it. This will make sure when you either hold down the button to change the dim level or turn off the button that the associated light will respond in kind.

Let me know if you have any issues or changes to this tutorial

1 Like

Thank so for this. I don’t think it will work for me unless non-z-wave devices can be associated. I have a bevy of things with other protocols I want to include in the scenes via rules. At minimum, we need to get the “indicator” channel expose in OH2. I believe it was in OH1. Also, a channel for the “hail” command class would likely allow us to pick up the button off commands or, more likely, let OH know about a change and then the indicators are queried for the total bit count arrangement.

Although this is an old topic, it is the only thing that worked for me. Well, with one important change: steps 7 and 8 must be swapped, otherwise I’m not getting any events in the action log.

A few issues still:

• any fiddling with scene controller associations in OH breaks it and I have to go back to zensys and repeat steps 8,7
  • OH only receives “On” events. There’s more about it in this thread.