Ubiquiti Unifi Binding Feature Discussion

I have to say that this is one of the key elements of my Openhab setup. It works very well and it is very useful. Thanks,

@CDriver @jwiseman @thefathefa Happy to hear it!

I swear to you gentlemen that I am going to pick this binding back up, but Iā€™ve just been so busy with my house I barely have time to sleepā€¦ rubs eyes

ā€œ4 In-Ceiling PoE powered Echo Dots (which are fed into the In-Ceiling speakers using a ducking mixer - I donā€™t use the built-in speaker)ā€

Wow, exactly how did you wire the Echo Dots to your in-ceiling speakers?

Each Echo Dot has 2x CAT6A cables ran to its location:

1. PoE Adapter
  2. Audio over Ethernet Adapters: Echo Side + Mixer Side

Before pulling the trigger, I bought a pair of the audio adapters and tested it with 100m cable and it worked fine. All the In-Ceiling speakers are wired directly into the mixer.

Got the inspiration from a Reddit thread.

This is also one of the WAF requirements for PoE support in the UniFi binding. I have to be able to ā€œkillā€ the dots by turning off their PoE via the UniFi switch in case we want to have a private conversation in the house

ā€œAlexa, commit harakiriā€

:smiley:

2 Likes

Any update on adding to repository?

Hey all, add me to one keeping a keen eye on this development. Sounds like it will be amazing

Hope someone can help me here. I want to develop my current network and I come up with Ubiquiti - besides that it has a working binding for OH. However if I want to use this binding, should I need the UNMS software running somewhere or it use (for example) an EdgeRouter directly?

If UNMS is required, what hardware do you recommend installing it, what do you use?

Iā€™m not familiar with the UNMS software. I think that is relatively new. The Unifi binding works with the Unifi Controller software.

I manage my 2-site network using the Unifi controller software (v 5.8.30) running on an Ubuntu Linux box. I have 9 APs (AP-AC-LR, AP-LR, and AP-AC-Mesh) and one US-24-250W switch all of which are managed by one controller instance running in one of the sites.

Thanks! Which hardware do you use to run UniFi controller? An RPi should be enough for a smaller network?

You should have no trouble running it on an RPi. In my case, I have a number of services (including the Unifi Controller) running on a core i5 1U rackmount server.

Your other option would be the Cloud Key, but I donā€™t have any experience with that.

Thanks for your help! Iā€™m also thinking of buying a ā€˜realā€™ server for these purposes, but I donā€™t know which way would be good. I live in a flat, so I donā€™t have much space for servers. What other services do you run on your server? I might want to use it as a file server (NAS), run openHab and UniFi Controller. (and maybe smaller services as wellā€¦)

I run Zoneminder, Zabbix, and a few other services.

I built my rackmount server based on this article. As described in my comments on the article, I deviated a bit from his specs to reduce the cost by several hundred dollars.

Thank you very much for your help! Really appreciate it!

I run the controller software on my synology NAS

Hey all, I still donā€™t have any spare time (itā€™s all spent at the house) but I will get back on this as soon as possible.

4 Likes

Anyone have this binding stop working on 5.9.29 unifi version?

when i turn on debug logging, I see the wireless devices show up at Wired= trueā€¦and then it doesnā€™t find any devices even when I can see in the client list the mac address listed for my thing.

I just installed 5.9.29 a few minutes ago. Let me take a lookā€¦

Ta. Iā€™ve got another linux script that reads the api, and it;s showing the devices as wired/wireless correctly (and so is the unifi ui).

I just wonder if the binding it only looking for devices where wired=false ā€¦ maybe?

All my wireless devices are showing up as wired: false

Yes, Iā€™m pretty sure it looks for wired: false. I could check the code, but I recall that being discussed in this post a while back.

So hereā€™s my device.

09:41:46.056 [DEBUG] [inding.unifi.internal.UniFiController] -   UniFiClient{mac: 'xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:23', hostname: 'lumi-gateway-v3_miio87296016', wired: true, device: UniFiDevice{mac: 'xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx', name: 'AP-Cupboard', model: 'U7LT', site: Site{name: 'Nazgul', path: 'default'}}}

See it says wired: trueā€¦and then posts the ap itā€™s connected to.
Then later on says it canā€™t find the device

09:41:46.548 [DEBUG] [ding.unifi.handler.UniFiClientHandler] - Refreshing channel = unifi:client:nazgul:unifi_xiaomi:lastSeen
09:41:46.552 [DEBUG] [ding.unifi.handler.UniFiClientHandler] - Could not find a matching client: mac = xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:23, site = Nazgul

All the other things Iā€™ve defined exhibit this behaviourā€¦but in paper UI the device lists as online.