Ubiquiti Unifi Binding Feature Discussion

@mgbowman I have a question about the initial state of the online channel. At startup, or when a thing is created, if a wireless client is connected to the network, the online channel will be set to ON. However, if the wireless client is not connected to the network, the ‘online’ channel is NULL. Was this behavior intentional?

It becomes a little more relevant in a multi-site environment, because the state of the online channel will never change from NULL until the client connects to the network in that site (which could be days or weeks).

Persistence can help, but if you’re persisting on every change (which is typical when using restoreOnStartup), restoreOnStartup will be of no use until the online channel has changed state at least once.

You can “force” openhab to update the item by saving its last state in a map.db. Its typical for openhab, the items doesnt update at start up. The binding could “ask” the device though, and then it update. But I guess it depends on several things.

I understand. But, in this scenario, there is no last state (other than NULL).

I have persistence set up to save all items’ state using the everyChange and restoreOnStartup strategy. However, if I add a wireless client thing, and the person associated with that thing is not there (and may not be there for weeks or months), the initial state of the item linked to the online channel will be NULL, and will stay NULL until the person connects to the network for the first time.

My quick workaround to the issue is to use the console to set the initial state to OFF. However, I don’t feel this should be necessary.

smarthome:send Person1Online OFF

I upgraded my UniFi equipment with the UDM-Pro. This gateway has a built in UniFi controller and the connection seems to be changed so the plugin cannot connect to it.
Are there plans to support these new controllers UDM and UDM-Pro?

2 Likes

Hi @tinomaus and welcome to the community!

Unfortunately I do not have nor do I plan to purchase a UDM or UDM Pro. If I’m being completely honest, I probably won’t buy anymore Ubiquiti gear at all because, from my point of view, the quality of the company and its products has declined and turned me off as a returning customer :frowning:

Now with that being said, I still plan to support / develop my Unifi binding, but I won’t be able to integrate / support new devices that I do not own unless you guys want to get together and start a general “hardware fund for the development of the OH UniFi binding” :slight_smile:

Lastly, I just want to let everybody know that I’m still around but just haven’t had any free time to work on the binding - the beginning of the year is always super busy in my office leaving very little “free spirit” when I get home in the evenings :frowning:

Matthew

2 Likes

not sure if anybody else tested the new binding but I still get the same issue (things are always ON). When I install the 2.4 binding it starts working back again.

Regards,

I am thinking about a “guest presence” detection in my OH setup. It would be handy if I can get the number of clients on my guest WiFi to detect if there is somebody else in my house besides family members.

Can you consider this as a feature request? :slight_smile:

Did you configure your devices in openHAB with the MAC address? This is working for me in 2.5.x.

Maybe you should use the UDM-Pro as new USG, then you can use a normal cloud-key or another Unifi Controller to work with OH plugin.

I suppose the UDM-PRO can be adopted

Does it make any sense?
Andrea

No, i used ip addresses as I did in openhab 2.4. Have you used the built #111 as instructed by Matthew ?

I am using the standard version that is included.

Matthew,

I’m also interested in buying the new UDM-Pro but it seems it can’t be adopted. So we need to use the controller inside the device.

How can I help in solving this issue? I’ll do all my best to do so.

thanks
Andrea

Maybe the info here can be of interest for those planning to buy a UDM Pro?

I too have of USG Pro and was tempted by UDM Pro but not anymore, I wait for what they call in this post a “UXG Pro”, that is mentioned to be really USG Gen 2…

1 Like

ciao Matthew,

any chance to have as a channel also the “experience”? I mean the user experience reported by the controller (1-100%)? Is that doable?

thanks
Andrea

Hello everybody!

First off, I want to say that I hope everybody and their loved ones are doing ok and are healthy in this crazy time!

Like many, I’ve been forced to work remotely for the foreseeable future which means a lot of my duties have been put on hold - my job mostly requires my physical presence. I can still do some of my job remotely, but it means I have a lot of free time on my hands at home! :sunglasses:

I’ve restarted my UniFi development and will try and get everybody’s issues and feature requests sorted asap.

To help with that, I have now enabled Issues in my openhab-addons repo where current / new issues and feature requests can be managed.

Stay tuned!

7 Likes