Unable to connect L530 Smartbulb after Firmware Update

Hello everyone,

I am unable to connect some Tapo L530 Smart Bulbs to my instance of openHAB. I’m running

I have 4 bulbs in total and used to have no problem connecting all of them to openHAB. A few days ago 3 of the bulbs are no longer able to connect to openHAB. I get the following error message in the logs:

2023-09-04 00:57:57.617 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'tapocontrol:L530:bulbBedroomFloorlamp' changed from UNKNOWN: unknown api error (-1) to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): unknown api error (-1)

1 bulb remains working and I think I know why. Using the Tapo app for Android I checked the bulb’s firmware version and noticed that the working one had a pending firmware update (which i nibbed in the bud so that at least that one would continue working).

The working bulb has the firmware version

• 1.0.10 Build 221129 Rel.193015

This is also the same build number displayed in the Thing’s firmwareVersion Property (in Main UI) for each of the three bulbs that no longer function.

Looking at the bulb in the Tapo App on my phone I can see that these three bulbs have been upgraded to firmware version

• 1.1.0 Build 230721 Rel.224802

Since the Thing Properties have not been updated I assume that openHAB wasn’t able to establish a connection to the bulbs ever since their firmware was updated.

Unfortunately a factory reset of the bulb (German Link) didn’t reset the firmware version so there’s no easy way to downgrade.

Is this firmware already supported in openHAB 4.1.0? How do I go about upgrading? The openhabian-config tool on my raspi tells me I’m on the latest version so I’m confused.

If it’s not supported yet are there any other suggestions on how I can get the bulbs back to work?

Any help is much appreciated!

1 Like

Got the exact same problem. Is there a possibility to revert the firmware to a previous version?

I have tried upgrading to the 4.1.0 snapshot, unfortunately that didn’t solve the issue.

After doing a little bit more research into downgrading firmware (no luck, I’m afraid) I stumbled upon this thread in the TP-Link forums.

The issue also affected Home Assistant and according to this thread was already fixed over there.

Have the same problem there is already a GitHub issue for this [Tapocontrol] Unable to control L530 after upgrade to 1.1.0 Build 230721 · Issue #15503 · openhab/openhab-addons · GitHub

Thank you for mentioning the GitHub issue, I was unable to find it during my research. Unfortunately my Java and JS skills are severely lacking, otherwise I’d have a look at it myself.

Workaround with Alexa…
If you use also “Amazon Alexa”, bind the Light parallel by the Tapo Account inside the Alexa App to the Amazon Cloud. Create a new Thing you can find over the Alexa-Bridge.
Disable the Tapo-Think until the update is released and add the ‘Alexa-Tabo’ where you use the Original.

Regards,
Hans