Unable to connect to IP:8080 on new RaspberryPi 4

I installed OpenHab yesterday and was able to configure it (at least partly). Today after launching the RaspberryPi I am unable connect via my internal IP address. I get a message that the IP refused to connect. I can ping the IP address. (I am a new user so may not use right terminology.)

Can you ssh to the machine?
Installed how?

Using the built-in RPi install (not sure of the correct term)
ssh refuses to connect to my IP address (port 22)

Exactly what steps did you follow to install? I know the Pi needs an SD card to operate since there is no built-in operating system.

I used the Pi Add/Remove software which added the openhab2 -2.5.8-1 package

If you just did that, what Java version do you have installed? OpenHAB 2.x is only expected to work on Java 8. This is documented in the installation documents.

I naively assumed that the install package for OpenHab would come with the correct version. I’ll install Java 8. Will I need to reinstall OpenHab?

I have not manually installed in quite some time so I do not really know the answer to that,

If you don’t have any other software running on your RPi besides openHAB, you might want to try doing a fresh installation using the openHABian image and instructions.

This does all of the initial setup work for you so that you can get to the fun stuff, and makes some maintenance tasks much easier. You could continue with the manual install, but down the road you might find yourself wishing you’d used openHABian. :wink:

Because of the number of different ways that Java can be installed before openHAB is installed (as well as that some Java implementations are better than others on armhf devices), we can’t install a Java package automatically. The installation should however try to find one, and if it can’t it will print a warning message at the end of the install.

No, it’ll just need a restart.

1 Like

I tried that and it didn’t work so I am reinstalling it. ( I must have missed the warning message.)

You might be missing a couple of steps looking at the above post. If you’re installing it from Add and Remove programs, then I assume you don’t have a terminal window up?

You need to start openHAB with the command:

sudo systemctl start openhab2.service

I’d recommend reading all the steps to get started in https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/linux.html, particularly: https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/linux.html#systems-based-on-systemd-e-g-debian-8-ubuntu-15-x-raspbian-jessie-and-newer-2

1 Like

I did the install from the add/remove but I am use the terminal to start it. And now it is opening the ip 8080 and I will continue with the configuration. Thanks for your help.

As you’re on a RPi you should do yourself a favor and better use the openHABian image just as Russ already mentioned.

Use the openhabian image or as the PI4 is a little more powerfull you can run it all in docker.

Follow this video https://youtu.be/KJRMjUzlHI8

I got my rpi 4 yesterday and am slowly moiving my stuff into containers

Which does not mean it’s a good idea. Docker clearly is not recommended for beginners.
And there’s a lot of stuff in openHABian which is not in the docker image such as update management, backup and so on you will benefit from.

1 Like

I love openhabian have run it for ages. It is exelent and have never tryed running anything else until I got my PI 4 on Friday.

Now that we have the PI 4 I don’t know what the roadmap is for me and I want to move some other containers onto the PI4. I am currently exploring my options.

With portainer it will update easily and all under one managment tool.
Backups would be in another container and sync to the cloud.

Maybe I will just run openhabian and install docker ontop.

I was wrong … I was able to reinstall OpenHab after upgrading Java to Java 8 but this morning the browser (Chromium) needed to be restarted and then I could not connect to OpenHab with the same error that my IP refused refused to connect. Is there a problem with my Raspberry timing out or crashing?

I also love Openhab (without ian) and run it for years.

… running several Docker containers on a toy without a proper storage? :grin: (backup doesn’t help, SSD via USB neither) Testing and for fun yes, but for real? If there is a video showing what is possible and how to do it, you still need to understand where the limits are. Most likely not even the man making this high level software install education video is not aware of them. Perhaps he is and has mentioned it in the video but it doesn’t amuse me to watch it … you can do all this, but its actually not recommended. Upgrade your hw first before wasting time. But strictly for learning, this is good enough.

Any chance to connect a monitor and a keyboard to have a look and check for the current IP address of the Pi, check the system logs and check if the system still is reponsible ?