Unable to get OH Designer running on Linux

Continuing the discussion from Starting openHAB-Designer on linux 64 will crash jvm:

Hi All,

Many (including myself) push OpenHAB Designer as a good way to do syntax checking. I don’t actually use it, but am trying to install it again after it stopped working on my Mac.

Now I’m on my Linux Mint laptop… and neither the 32 or 64 bit versions will run. I’ve also looked at the Quick Start guide and the Wiki and didn’t find any instructions or special requirements for getting it running. The strange thing is that I use other software built on the Eclipse platform which works fine.

Here is a screen shot of the OpenHAB 32-bit Designer failure (Error 13):

And a snippet of the generated error log from the 64-bit version:

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f929b4872a1, pid=7724, tid=140270291252992
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (7.0_91-b02) (build 1.7.0_91-b02)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (24.91-b01 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Derivative: IcedTea 2.6.3
# Distribution: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, package 7u91-2.6.3-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libsoup-2.4.so.1+0x6c2a1]  soup_session_feature_detach+0x11
#

Any help is appreciated as I’m trying to make some progress building up my system; but have quickly completely broken it. :frowning:

I noticed you are using the OpenJDK, try it with the Oracle JVM and see if it makes a difference.

Hi Jim, Thanks for your suggestion. Changing the JVM on my system is a pretty big thing for me to do to blindly to try something that would take me a minimum of an hour to try+undo.

As I mentioned, I followed the documentation on getting the Designer working. If there were specific JVM requirements, I would expect it to either be documented or at least throw an exepction that it could not find the required JVM.

It shouldn’t be too bad to test out., Download the JVM and drop it in a temporary location. Set JAVA_HOME and run the app using that JVM on the command line. No system changes necessary, and nothing to revert to test it out. You don’t need to touch your system installed JVM… Let me know if you want a more detailed description.

OK - your proposal sounds simple enough. I am working on getting some things done for the end of the year, but I will give it a try in the new year. Thanks Jim.

Please refer to my answer in another post on this crash topic, it could be caused by down-level version of libsoup.