Unable to read itable block

Hi All,

I am a bit lost:

End of last week, I updated my openhabian installation (root at usb hdd) to the last snapshot 2.5.1 and since then the issues started.

I get after a certain time following log in the console:

[122.783540] EXT4-fs error (device sda): __ext4_find_entry: 1455: inode #78633: comm (karaf): reading directory lblock 0"

I googled a lot and find out, that the error seems to be related to brocken rs-filesystem, which could indicate a broken hdd.
I was able to repair the hdd/fs with fsck.ext4 command and started up as usual (first thing I did, I copied all needed configuration, etc. to external devices). It could be, that it then runs for some hours or longer then 48 h, before the issue appears again.

OK, I came to the conclusion to start from scratch:
I replaced SD-Card with new one, set up a new openhabian on it. Second step I performed was to move ‘root to USB’ with the commands from openhabian-config to a brand-new SSD.

After I reboot, I run exactly in the same error as mention above.

I have a new SD-Card, new SSD, new openhabian installation - why I get this error?

Did it happend to someone else before as well?

Any recommendation would be appreciated.

You have the exact same error msg on new SD/SSD and you didn’t try to copy or clone anything to the new SD/SSD?

What are you using, a Raspberry Pi? What version 2, 2 B, 3 B+, etc…?

I can not tell you if, I have exactly the same error, in regards of numbers (eg. inode #78633), but the error message is similar.

I didn’t clone anything, I started from scratch.

It is Raspberry 4.

The pi 4 requires buster. Did you make sure to download the latest openhabian image?

1 Like

I downloaded Openhabian version 1.5 from the following link https://github.com/openhab/openhabian/releases

Assuming, that this is the latest release.

What version is raspbian, strech or buster?

It is buster

From the posted link: :wink:

Finally, we have Raspberry Pi 4 support! :rocket:
To achieve that we have upgraded our base operation system to Raspian Buster .

What’s program are you using to make the sd card? On windows etcher is the best. I have seen issues using win32 imager.

Also it will do all the extraction for you no need to do anything else.

What I would try is burn a new sd card with etcher. Power on and leave on for 2 days with no config at all. There is no reason it should have an issue. Once that is stable you can start to configure bindings and such.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation also recommends formatting the card withthe official SD Card Formatter first. I have heard of people resurrecting supposedly dead cards using that.

Possibly something wrong with the Etcher download or PC used?

Have you used Etcher, in the past, with success on whatever device your using?

The issue is not the SD Card. The issue is the SSD, which fails directly after I moved the root over.

What is the official Formatter? Never heard about it.

I didn‘t use Etcher. I used win32imager, which runs for several other RPi without any issues.

Thanks for your support so far.

From https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/projects/raspberry-pi-setting-up/3

The first thing I did when I got my Pi was look for the official instructions.

I can’t say if the official formatter will make a difference or not but I can say that Etcher works on flashing to an SSD. Just make sure to change the setting to allow danger mode.

The point is, it is not the SD-Card, it is the SSD disk. Therefore it is hard for me to believe, that the Formatter would have done a huge difference. But good to know for the next projects.

This would be helpful at the moment, the Raspi 4 would allow boot from USB - this is not supported yet.

Have you tried to load OH on just the SD card, have OH working, then power down the Pi remove the SD and use GParted or some other partition tool to move the root files to SSD manually?

1 Like