Unable to unpair z-wave nodes

I’m attempting to unpair two completely functional z-wave nodes (light switches) to be used with another controller. Everything looks fine and dandy in HABmin, but when I go to either “Remove device from controller” or “Mark node as FAILED”, I get a “Remove failed node failed as node not found”

Here’s the relevant logs:

https://pastebin.com/gunsjsVN

I’m using a PineA64 w/ the Z-Wave HAT module

You can’t use these functions to remove a working device. You need to properly exclude a device - to do this, put the controller into exclusion mode, then click the appropriate button on the device. The exclude mode option is an option in HABmin in the top right menu.

Ah! That’s putting me in the right direction.

Of course, there are more issues. The GUI says “Errors sending action” and logs this:

[ome.io.rest.core.thing.ThingResource] - Received HTTP PUT request for update configuration at 'things/zwave:serial_zstick:pineboard/config' for an unmanaged thing 'zwave:serial_zstick:pineboard'.|

I only have one controller, and I am able to control the lights through HABmin just fine, so I’m confused why it thinks its unmanaged.

EDIT: It looks like you may be aware of this issue and possibly working on a fix? Z-Wave Exclue / Include in openHAB 2.1.0.SNAPSHOT with Habmin - #28 by chris

You may need to use the REST API UI and query to find the old links and other bad reference entries. There are times when you end up with some hanging chad.

This error means that you have used text files to configure the things and in this case you can’t change the configuration through the UI.

Interesting…because I haven’t. Attempting to find a CLI way of dropping these nodes was the first time I ever ssh’ed to the openhab system. Since the pairing appears to be tied to the controller, not the OS, I may just wipe it all, start over, then try removing it (after putting it in exclusion mode)

AH! But wait. I wonder if this custom image I used (the PineA64+ one, released by the Pine team) used a text file to configure this module.

Got it. Well, just about.

Yeah, the pre-built image included a zwave.things file in /etc/openhab2/things. I removed it, then went to the Paper UI and re-added the controller, then I was able to get into exclude ONE of the nodes, the On/Off switch.

I have a different issue when trying to exclude the in-wall dimmer (Node 3) which is also a GE product. As seen in the pastebin from earlier, it’s not happy about with this device…

2017-06-01 20:00:50.226 [ERROR] [ocol.ZWaveController$ZWaveSendThread] - NODE 3: Timeout while sending message. Requeueing - 0 attempts left!
2017-06-01 20:00:50.229 [ERROR] [l.serialmessage.SendDataMessageClass] - NODE 3: Got an error while sending data. Resending message

But the device is still completely controllable from the OpenHAB system, so its “functional”. I killed the power to that device (these products have these little pull-out tabs which completely kills the power to the onboard zwave module) but it didnt seem to fix anything.

Here’s a debug-level log

https://pastebin.com/DsuZiZaX

I’m noticing that its trying to remove NODE 2 but there is no NODE 2. Just NODE 3, which is what I am trying to remove.

@tendonut
If the soft way don’t work, you can “reset” your zwave node. It should use any configuration, IDs, network-informations and so on.
Then you can freshly include it at the other network.
After the reset, it get marked as failed by the controller. Then you can delete it from OH2 (HABmin).

Regards

Resetting the z-wave node was my first thought, but unfortunately, there isn’t a documented way of doing that (at least, in the manual)

What means google to it?

Whelp, I feel like an idiot now. Either I was failing at googling or was filtering out video results, but I found a video on YouTube from Lowes that explains how to force the switch to reset (pull the air gap peg, hold the UP rocker, and push the air gap peg back in). I was able to get it unpaired from the OpenHAB and pair it with my Oomi home automation system. So I think I’m good!

Just remember, that if you reset the switch without excluding the device, you will be left with a node that doesn’t exist in the controller - I wouldn’t recommend doing this unless you are really stuck.

I’ll see if I can re-add it to the old controller and properly remove it, but as it stands, it seems like I was stuck.

Ok, if you’re using a different controller now, then don’t worry - it won’t be a problem…

Yeah, but I have no idea if/when I will come back to OpenHAB in the future. If I don’t address it now, I’ll be right back where I started with some wonky stuck node whenever I come back to it.