Unsure about installation procedures for Windows

ok, thanks did manual installation and everything seems better now, they should maybe delete the Chocolatey installation chapter as it’s so simple to manual install!

it’s better to leave the docs entry there and fix the Choco install package :slight_smile:

One of the two really needs to be done. This is really wasting peoples time in it’s current form. Either remove the chocolate installation procedure (for now). Or fix the package ASAP.

lol

why is this funny? We are now guiding people into a non working solution

funny is your style which looks like you are trying to give orders (that need to be executed ASAP also)
who exactly is “we” and what have you done or better, will do to support the community?
why don’t you get active and improve things instead of asking other people to do this?
(all theoretical questions, no real need to answer them… just act on them)

That was not my intention. I am aware of how Open Source works and it was not intended as an order at all. By “we” I meant the enthusiastic OpenHab community in general. But in this case more specific people that have write access to this page:

If it was easy to edit I would have had no problem removing it myself (or at least put a disclaimer there).
And i think “we” should all try to make sure new people are welcomed to this community with a nice a nice experience (which I am trying to do here). And not with flawed instructions that give them a very bed first user experience.

I had trouble getting openhab running on Windows as well. the documentation is not so great. I am a pretty good writer, I will be glad to pitch in writing docs

2 Likes

That’s the spirit :slight_smile:

It’s not that hard. The first time will give you some small headache, but it will get easier with time :slight_smile:

Check:

1. Documenting openHAB 2
  2. Documenting openHAB 2 - #153 by Dim

Ask in that thread anything you need on how to modify/edit/etc any part of Introduction | openHAB

Quick & Dirty:
0) Create a github account (if you don’t have one)

1. Open an Issue on the proper github section describing the problem
  2. Edit the relevant page (it will create a fork in your github)
  3. Create a Pull Request to submit your improvement and mention that it closes the issue that you created on step 1 above

If it’s main website content:

1. Issues · openhab/website · GitHub
  2. website/.vuepress/components/InstallInstructions.vue at main · openhab/website · GitHub

If it’s generic content:

1. Issues · openhab/openhab-docs · GitHub
  2. openhab-docs/installation/windows.md at main · openhab/openhab-docs · GitHub

If it’s binding specific docs entry:
1a) Issues · openhab/openhab1-addons · GitHub
1b) Pull requests · openhab/openhab2-addons · GitHub

1 Like

A small update on this Windows story:

Ref: Chocolatey 2.3 installation procedure should not be recommended in it's current form · Issue #115 · openhab/website · GitHub

My comment there:

@bcurran3 : Can you update please the Choco package to remove the deployment steps for openhab-addons-2.3.0.kar ? Also: On a Win system with Oracle JRE 192 installed, your script did not detect it and started to install JRE 181 :slight_smile:

Hi.

Please open a issue at:
https://github.com/bcurran3/ChocolateyPackages/issues for whatever changes are recommended.

I don’t know why the add-ons wouldn’t be wanted, but, sure, easy enough to remove. (Irony is I thought I was saving people time!)

Script installs OH, doesn’t check for or do anything with any flavors of Java; that’s OH’s job. :slight_smile: Package installs Oracle Java as a dependency as discussed and (officially?) decided on in another thread long ago.

It’s not that they are not wanted. There is an issue with the addons kar (unrelated to your Choco packaging) that causes (serious) problems. See here: Offline Archive (addons.kar) installs all Add-Ons · Issue #729 · openhab/openhab-distro · GitHub

We should not include (for now) the addons kar in the deployment until the root cause is fixed.

Package disregards existing (newer) installation of JRE. It’s ok… no big problem.

I will open an issue, thanx.

1 Like

here you go: https://github.com/bcurran3/ChocolateyPackages/issues/50

Thanx for the Choco packaging by the way ! :slight_smile:

I was able to reproduce this issue on a Linux installation of OH 2.3.0 also

If you place the openhab-addons-2.3.0.kar in the addons folder all included addons are automatically installated and started :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I would be good if someone with more experience on Karaf can take a look at the following and do some extra testing to identify the root-cause…

Good news! The chocolatey :chocolate_bar: package will be updated soon by @bcurran3 to include only the standard openHAB distribution.

Using the “Install with Chocolatey” method described on https://www.openhab.org/download/, OH2 will be installed without any pre-loaded (offline) addons and you will be able to install them as needed (using the PaperUI). See: https://www.openhab.org/docs/configuration/addons.html

You can also see how to install the program in windows. Made bij yoyo

Choco package for 2.3 without addons was downloaded 819 times since release (1 month ago). that’s not bad.

@bcurran3: If you find some free time, it would be nice to publish a newer Choco package for the 2.4.0 Stable

I opened up an issue here: https://github.com/bcurran3/ChocolateyPackages/issues/54

New Chocolatey package for 2.4.0 Stable has been created by @bcurran3 and soon will be available: https://chocolatey.org/packages/openhab/2.4.0

:+1:

Thanks for this. I did a search for “tinyb” (used Agent Ransack) anywhere within the install (OpenHAB 2.5.5) on Win10, manual install. It appeared in three files:

C:\openHAB2.5.5\userdata\cache\org.eclipse.osgi\framework.info.69
C:\openHAB2.5.5\userdata\cache\org.eclipse.osgi\238\0\bundleFile
C:\openHAB2.5.5\userdata\tmp\mvn\org\openhab\addons\bundles\org.openhab.binding.bluetooth.bluez\2.5.5\org.openhab.binding.bluetooth.bluez-2.5.5.jar

‘69’ and ‘238’ are pseudo-random numeric assignments. A search tool is what is really required. Simply bouncing the system seems to cause some of these numbers to change.

I deleted the ‘mvn’ jar file, to no effect. I deleted the osgi bundle file and the problem was resolved.

A search of ‘Bluetooth’ shows a number of other Bluetooth jars.

As a result of deleting ‘bluez’ binding I still have 7 other Bluetooth bindings available to me, which I have yet to try to use, but I’m happy to see them, since I would still like to connect some Bluetooth devices. (The problem doesn’t appear to be Bluetooth, but the one particular binding.)

-AM43 Blind Drive Motor
-Bluetooth Device
-Connected Bluetooth Device
-Airthings Wave+
-Blukii SmartBeacon
-BlueGiga Bluetooth Dongle
-Ruuvi Smart Beacon

In addition, I had previously installed the SMA Energy Meter binding, which was not supposed to require any configuration, but had no visible result. Once I deleted the tinyb/Bluez bundle, I now have an SMA Energy Meter in my Inbox.

In addition, the reference within C:\openHAB2.5.5\userdata\cache\org.eclipse.osgi\framework.info.nn (now 73) cleared by itself and I have no references to ‘tinyb’. It’s unclear if it was necessary to delete the Bluez jar, but it clearly has no utility until the code is fixed.