Update openHab 3.1 to 3.2 of an windows system

Hello, everyone.

I am running openHab 3.1 on a Windows system.
After the update to 3.2 I noticed that the addons were not updated.
What can I do to ensure that the addons are also updated?

Many Thanks

How did you perform the update? What steps did you take?

Do you have any .jar or .kar files in the addons folder?

How do you know the addons were not updated?

1 Like

I did the update using Powershell.
net stop openhab

c:\openHab\runtime\bin
.\update.bat 3.4.0-SNAPSHOT

The program folder still says C:\openHAB\userdata\kar\openhab-addons-3.1.0
Also, I can’t find a binding that was added in 3.4

I don’t know how the update script works. It’s supposed to clear out the old first. Are you certain the upgrade completed without error?

The update to version 3.3.0 has been successfully completed.
The update to version 3.4.0.M4 aborts because a path was apparently not found. However, this path exists. I think the string is too long.

Here is the error description

aking a backup of your distribution to C:\Users\Wolfi\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.3.0
Creating backup directories in C:\Users\Wolfi\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.3.0
Copying directory conf, userdata and runtime to C:\Users\Wolfi\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.3.0\conf
######################################################################################################

Could not backup existing distribution to C:\Users\Wolfi\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.3.0

######################################################################################################
PrintAndReturn : Ein Teil des Pfades “C:\Users\Wolfi\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.3.0\userdata\kar\openhab-addons-3.1.0\org\openhab\addons\featu
res\karaf\org.openhab.addons.features.karaf.openhab-addons-external\3.1.0\org.openhab.addons.features.karaf.openhab-addons-external-3.1.0-dynamodb.cfg”
konnte nicht gefunden werden.
In C:\Users\Wolfi\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\update\runtime\bin\update.ps1:646 Zeichen:14

• 
 exit PrintAndReturn "Could not backup existing distribution to 

•             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:slight_smile: [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
    • FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,PrintAndReturn

May be this helps to work with longer paths: Enable Long File Name Support in Windows 10 | ITPro Today: IT News, How-Tos, Trends, Case Studies, Career Tips, More

In an other thread a user talked about temporarily changing the temp path to an other location. There is no explicit hint how he did it but I assume that something like changing the users appdata temp folder ( How to change TEMP folder and allocate free space on your system disk - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos ) was meant.

Now the update went through. Great.

However, he still brings a reference to different bindings. See below. When I start openHab, no bindings are installed and cannot be installed either.
In this case the update did not run properly.
I have already cleared tmp and cache and rebooted.

What now?

Warning: Automower Binding: Due to Husqvarna Authentication API change, bridge now requires application secret instead of username and password. Delete any existing bridge and re-add it, please make sure to update all automower things to use the newly added bridge.
Warning: JS Scripting Automation: ‘setTimeout’ and ‘setInterval’ return a timerId (a positive integer value) as in standard JS instead of an openHAB Timer.
Warning: Konnected Binding: Things needs to be recreated because of added Konnected Pro panel support and manual configuration of things.
Warning: LG webOS Binding: The undocumented action “sendRCButton” was removed while it is possible to achieve the same action with “sendButton”
Warning: Miele@home Binding: The channel ‘start’ now contains date and time for start of scheduled program. Previously it was counting down duration until the program would start.
Warning: Velux Binding: On window things the semantic category of the position channel has been corrected from ‘blinds’ to ‘window’. Window things with such channels that had been created via the UI will need to be deleted and re-created.

Do you use any of the bindings / functions that are listed with the warning messages ?
For me it is not clear if these messages are part of the openhab.log file or if these messages where shown during the update. In case it is during the update then it is just information to make the user aware of ( breaking ) changes - actions the user needs to do because of these changes.

Is the MainUI with settings available ?
Are there any errors in the openhab.log file or in the windows events ?

This message comes up during the update. If I click Yes, the bindings are no longer available in openHab.
If I click No, the update is aborted

The current version is 3.3.0
Changing location to C:\openHAB
Upgrading to version 3.4.0.M4

Making a backup of your distribution to C:\Users\Wolfi\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.3.0
Creating backup directories in C:\Users\Wolfi\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.3.0
Copying directory conf, userdata and runtime to C:\Users\Wolfi\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.3.0\conf
Copying files from C:\openHAB to C:\Users\Wolfi\AppData\Local\Temp\openhab\backup-3.3.0\home

The script will attempt to update openHAB to version 3.4.0.M4
Please read the following notes and warnings

Important notes for version [3.4.0] :
Warning: Automower Binding: Due to Husqvarna Authentication API change, bridge now requires application secret instead of username and password. Delete any existing bridge and re-add it, please make sure to update all automower things to use the newly added bridge.
Warning: JS Scripting Automation: ‘setTimeout’ and ‘setInterval’ return a timerId (a positive integer value) as in standard JS instead of an openHAB Timer.
Warning: Konnected Binding: Things needs to be recreated because of added Konnected Pro panel support and manual configuration of things.
Warning: LG webOS Binding: The undocumented action “sendRCButton” was removed while it is possible to achieve the same action with “sendButton”
Warning: Miele@home Binding: The channel ‘start’ now contains date and time for start of scheduled program. Previously it was counting down duration until the program would start.
Warning: Velux Binding: On window things the semantic category of the position channel has been corrected from ‘blinds’ to ‘window’. Window things with such channels that had been created via the UI will need to be deleted and re-created.
Okay to Continue? [y/N]:

The bindings listed in the message are not installed on my computer

I think it’s the add-on. The directory C:\openHAB\userdata\kar\openhab-addons-3.1.0 contains 3.1.0 although I have updated to 3.3.0. In any case, I can see version 3.3.0 in openHab under Help.
How can I bring the add-ons to version 3.3.0 in a Windows environment

It is correct that the warnings are shown. They are informative messages to make users aware of changes in releases - especially breaking changes. So as you do not use the mentioned bindings just don’t care about them.
During the update the release related kar file will be downloaded. Do you have an internet connection while doing the update ?
In case that does not work you should be able to download the related kar file manually and store it in the folder c:\openHAB\addons .

Depending on what would like to install the one of these three URLs will be used

$AddonsDownloadLocation="https://ci.openhab.org/job/openHAB3-Distribution/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/distributions/openhab-addons/target/openhab-addons-$OHVersionName.kar"
        $AddonsDownloadLocation="https://www.openhab.org/download/milestones/org/openhab/distro/openhab-addons/$OHVersionName/openhab-addons-$OHVersionName.kar"
        $AddonsDownloadLocation="https://www.openhab.org/download/releases/org/openhab/distro/openhab-addons/$OHVersionName/openhab-addons-$OHVersionName.kar"

In case of 3.4.0M4 ( as mentioned in the upgrade notes of your earlier post ) this would be
https://github.com/openhab/openhab-distro/releases/download/3.4.0.M4/openhab-addons-3.4.0.M4.kar

That was the solution. Many Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.