yes see many many items pass by

give this a try: Clear the Cache

(just to check)

and then monitor the logs again

rlkoshak:
/var/lib/openhab2/tmp
did that, same result.
yes got some errors like

018-05-28 16:44:42.026 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-binding-gpio, openhab-transformation-RegEx, openhab-transformation-XSLT': Error restarting bundles:
	Unable to acquire the state change lock for the module: osgi.identity; type="osgi.bundle"; version:Version="0.10.0.oh230"; osgi.identity="org.eclipse.smarthome.model.script.runtime"; singleton:="true" [id=139] STARTED [STARTED]

2018-05-28 16:44:49.664 [ERROR] [org.openhab.binding.gpio            ] - FrameworkEvent ERROR - org.openhab.binding.gpio

But they may be the result of what I added to the addons.cfg.
Furthermore ofcourse the massive errors about not being able to find items and groups.
well, yes the problem is persisting.Dont seemuch use in reopening it in new thread.
Anyway, I sincerely appreciate your help, but I think I just go back to 2.2 and maybe, if I feel like it in future, will do a clean install of 2.3 and just copy my sitemap and itemfiles, see how that goes.

Just a small addition… you might be on to something with errors in my itemsfile. Eventhough I rechecked with eclipse smartdesigner and saw no errors and eventhough they never gave me problems in 2.2… I recreated a small itemsfile containing some of the missing groups and items…and those started to pop up. So lets see what I can do with copying parts of the one file to another and see where it goes bust.
Anyay, again thanks for yr help

1 Like

btw: this tool is a bit outdated… I would try to switch to VSCode which is much better

1 Like

yes so I heard. I may do that.If that immediately spots an error in my itemsfile it might be worth it.

Anyway, might be a good moment to restructure my itemsfile in much smaller sections.
So, I may hold on to 2.3 a bit longer and see what I can ’ fix’
Did I understand correctly that I can remove the bindings I added from the addons.cfg again?

1 Like

yes, you can remove that line (comment it out)
it should work fine

1 Like

Top!

ESHD is pretty much dead. It hasn’t been updated since OH 2.0 and even that version was incomplete. I highly recommend VSCode with the openHAB extension which actually passes the code to your running OH to parse it meaning it’s always up to date with the syntax.

Thanks Rich, I will do that.
Am going through my test itemsfile and already came across some items that would not load eventhough for the life of me I cant see a problem.
Will try some more… with VS

I went through the same martyrdom you did when upgrading from 2.3 snapshot to 2.4 snapshot.
I finally did it the way you proposed, clean install and copying the config back: worked right out of the box.

Maybe I will do that then. might be faster. tnx

1 Like

Slight update:
I copied my entire unaltered backup Itemsfile into a new itemsfile… and suddenly things come to life, eventhough I still miss some stuff that I can see is present in the file (Like an entire room), but wont show up anyway, there is progress.
I just hope that this doesn’t suggest my new 3 weeks old SD card is corrupted
Will post updates

So there are two ways an SD card can become corrupted:

1. Power failure during a write
  2. SD care wears out

The solution to both is the same, rebuild the system. However, with 2 you need to rebuild on a new card. Because the solution to both is the same, and I tend to value people’s time or highly, with a lack of information to tell me otherwise, I always have people rebuild on a new SD card.

In your case, 2 is highly unlikely but 1 could have happened. Did you yank the plug on the Pi or otherwise lose power recently?

Thanks Rich. I am always very careful with shutting down the raspberry, always issue a shutdown now command and wait a while before I remove power

@Dim @sihui @rlkoshak
And suddenly, after messing a bit more with my main items file, it all started working again, even some sitemap/item combo’ s that were completely separate.

nevertheless… I still may do a fresh install on a new SD card, just to be sure.
All thank you for your help

3 Likes

This morning not a single error message left. Albeit there were 3 items somewhere in a completely unrelated file that still woudnt load. Redid that file and its OK now

Noticed that some of my Transformation services had not survived the transfer, so needed a re-install of those services in paper UI. Not a biggie.

on the plus side after all (your and) my troubles: the AirQuality binding that had given me lots of trouble before seems to work flawlessly now. :slight_smile:
I’ d say that’s a plus and I am again a happy camper

1 Like

my story. was running openhab2 2.0. trying to get some bindings to work but they wouldn’t. upgraded to openhab 2.3. ‘broke everything’. full sitemap wouldn’t load, and what loaded didn’t all work. damn.

with upgrade noticed the message that I was running on ua net install. read about it. workaround didn’t work. damn.

bit the bullet. took my conf backups and installed latest openhabian. installed bindings. restored confs. huge hopes that magically everything would work. nope. same problems and now with new fresh build I had to reinstall and configure all my non openhab stuff. still, that was for later.

read, read, and read some more including this thread.

at least all the bindings I wanted were available and loading. set about debugging items and sitemap. cut to the end of the story: a ) instead of a } in the items file for the network binding (though not a network binding specific issue I suspect). That’s it. Didn’t complain in 2.0 but barfed in 2.3.

No complaints or grumbles from me about openhab though as was my silly mistake, small font, older eyes.

just leaving this here in case it helps anyone in the future.

2 Likes

Yep, in 2.2 or 2.3 (I forget which) the syntax checking got a little more strict. Before, if there was a syntax error, nothing would be loaded after the line where the syntax error occurred. But later we got a trade off. We now get much more useful error logs for syntax errors (i.e. line and column numbers in the logs) but the behavior is more stringent. Instead of loading everything up to the error point, the entire file is rejected.

This new behavior is really the more correct behavior, but it has hit a number of upgrade users who have had latent syntax errors in their files that were not necessarily noticed before. Though there should have been error log entries even back in OH 2.0 mentioning these errors in openhab.log.

I’m glad you figured your problem out and am sorry it took so much time.

2 Likes