Upgrading to openHAB 2.5 by updating existing 2.4 or clean install 2.5 with restoring configuration?

Hi community,

first of all I really would say thank you to the maintainers and all community helpers. OpenHAB is such a great open source home automatisation software :slight_smile:

Just a short overview of my current setup:

• Raspberry Pi 3+ running with openHAB 2.4
  • Integration of lights, heating, trash calendar, nas, tv, presence detection, power plugs
  • All configuration is made via files and daily backup of all configuration files is available

What is the recommened way or best practice for upgrading to openHAB 2.5? I have an additional Raspberry Pi 4 available which will be used for upgrading. I was just thinking about the following two options for upgrading:

1. Clone the existing system to a new microSD, insert this one into the Raspberry 4 and doing an update from 2.4 to 2.5 via the openHABian configuration tool.
  2. Do a clean install of openHAB 2.5 to a new microSD, insert this one into the Raspberry 4 and restoring the backed up configuration files.

I would like to say that I personally prefer the second option as the actual openHABian 1.5 release also includes the new base OS (Rasbian Buster). So would have u done? All advices or oppions are welcome :slight_smile:

Regards,
Eisi1482

I’d go 2) if you use openHABian. Enable ZRAM.
Assuming by ‘backed up config’ you mean the tarball that openhab-cli backup creates, yes you can simply openhab-cli restore that to the new box.

IMHO: if you have the time to go with the second option - go with the second option. And use the time to write down for yourself what extra steps you take for a new installation (example: https://community.openhab.org/t/openhabianpi-initial-setup/).

Yes, I am using the openhab-cli backup functionality.

Haven’t read about the ZRAM feature until now. Will check it out :slight_smile:

Thanks for ur comment. Second vote for clean install so far :v:

Yes, I also do have a short document of things I configured within my first installation. Will have to check if that list is complete.

1 Like

Treat it as a practice run for disaster recovery. One day …

2 Likes

After complete and fully setup last step clone working system to the other sd card and set it on the shelf for a backup…

FTR, we recommend to install a full scale backup solution. Amanda is contained in openHABian, and its README recommends to exactly do that as a first step when you’ve successfully installed.

1 Like

Does the first option (image + insert in a pi 4) work?
I’m using openhabian 1.4

I’m thinking to keep the pi 3 for backup so being able to swap sd could be an option.

Impossible to answer because we don’t know the state of the OS (e.g. is it upgraded to buster already ?) Always better to start with a fresh (openHABian) image install.

Actually is not upgraded to buster. As I can understand is a requirement. Am I right?

My dream is, in case that my pi stop working, I get the SD card, I put it in the other pi and everything restart working within 10 mins.