Use multiple OH machines and exchange data

Hi I would need some help to determine the best method of making this work if it’s possible at all. I run one pi with my zwave stick and weatherstation connected to it. The I have another windows machine running another usb stick telldus tellstick duo. Instead of replacing alot of fully functional hardware at one time I would prefer to be able to excahnge data betweeen this two machines. I have noo good experience of running tellstick on linux. So my question to all of you would this be possible to acomplish.

You can use the MQTT binding and the event bus facility

However, I would recommend biting the bullet and spend a bit of time learning to run your tellstick on the Pi. You’ll learn something. You’ll free up you windows machine which you’ll be able to use for other things including switching it off.

It’s a bad idea to run two machines with an openHAB instance each. Yes you can get this to work, but it’s a lot of work to get this to work reliably and still inferior to any one-box solution.

Not sure what ‘experiences’ you refer to, but it should be fairly easy to get the tellstick to become visible as a device in Linux, and that’s all you have to do at the Linux level.
The remaining piece of work would be to configure the openHAB tellstick binding to work with your devices, but if you’re already using this on Windows, you just need to copy the config.

While I agree that it is a lot of work, I’ve found it to be pretty reliable thus far.

I have a slave OH instance deployed at my dad’s house (about 70 miles 112 KM away) connected to my home network over openVPN and it feeds some sensor readings to my main OH at home using the MQTT event bus. For now it is super simple but I’ve been running it for a month and it has been rock solid.

It is indeed a whole lot of extra work and it takes a whole lot of extra planning to get it working right. You really need to understand how the event bus interact with the Items and put in checks to avoid infinite loops and the like. Honestly, @mackemot, it will be much less work for you to get the tellstick working on Linux then it will be to properly set up and configure the MQTT event bus for this.

Hello and good morning

Hence al the smart and higly repected people here states the same solution I will obey, but in an off tropic matther. When I added repository for telldus and downloaded the key
sudo apt-get install telldus-core fails to find the packag. I really have no clue whrer to go from here and this isn’t really covered buy this topic but maybe somen could pin point me.

Bad news travells fast but good news travells even faster found a piece of sourcecode and managed to compile it al good now so far. Now I would need help to migrate OH config. Everything but bindings is saved in text files. Is there any good way of setting bindings up so I don’t get new id for all my items. Needed Bindings with alot of items Zwave and Tellstick

I’m not quite sure, what you mean… I set up three openHABian running stable. Two at my house and one remotely. They exchange data via MQTT eventbus (one main Pi being the master and the other two being slaves). One slave is in my home Network and is using the same MQTT-broker which is already in place - the other one uses cloudmqtt.com and is also running stable.
Of course, if you don’t have MQTT Setup in the first place, that could be some work.

To have more than one box complicates the overall setup, introduces potential sources of errors you wouldn’t have with just one central unit, it’s increasing maintenance efforts and is more susceptible to impact from the outside.
I didn’t mean to say it’s bad under any conditions and you should never do it, but the reason to set things up like that must be a very good one (such as Rich’s 70 miles distance). If you can avoid that, you should.
With respect to the OP, it’s definitely better to move his Tellstick to the Linux OH box.

1 Like

Both, Zwave and Tellstick, are OH2 bindings so you can configure them either through PaperUI or files.
Not sure what id you mean (note we all don’t own Tellsticks), but there’s an example in the link to the docs I’ve sent (see a post up) that has a deviceID parameter per thing and per item.
In Zwave you can set the HomeID as a parameter of the controller’s thing.

I don’t know anything about Tellstick so can’t help there. For Zwave what you can do is take note of the ID of your Zwave Serial Thing that represents the Controller.

When I first added my controller I changed the automatically generated name from the random string to “dongle” for just this reason. You likely didn’t so the part I’ve underlined above will be a random string of characters.

On the new system, when adding the Controller Thing, make sure to change the Thing ID to your old ID and all the rest of your Zwave Things will keep their same ID and therefore you won’t have to relink them to Items.

I don’t think Chris has released the ability to configure Zwave Things in text files in the release or SNAPSHOT branches yet so one must run the Development branch of the binding to do that for Zwave. I know a lot of people are excitedly awaiting release of that and the security command class to the wider community.

HI

Tanks a lot for all input now I’m totally migrated to RPI for Openhab 2 and Wfrog for my weatherstation. Tellstick where quite easy to migrate since Openhab don’t require MoNo, last time I tried tellstick on windows I ran Switchking as it’s called a littele local crew put that togheter but .net or mono required and that allways chrashed now I will just see how stable this one gets and then do something for logging to not wear out my memorycard. Thanks again for all help.

PS If someone else is intrested in migrating telldus from Windows to Linux you can export all items from registry to a textfile ande then Copy paste or rearange export file.