User enhancements

This is a stepping stone to collaborating on rules through the use of rule templates, which are currently functional. All of the basic rule examples can be shared as a template, potentially even included in the distribution. Instead of sharing rules as text in the forum, they can be shared as a link to a template that can be installed. Templates will be able to include scripted Actions/Conditions, and people using the templates won’t need to know anything about Jython, JS, Groovy, Kotlin, etc., but just use a dropdown to select which of their personal Items/Channels/Things/time to trigger on.

The future of OH that I see, especially automation, is very bright! There is a LOT of really neat stuff just around the corner.

5 Likes

Scott… that has AWESOME written all over it!!!

I haven’t read the whole topic but I just had a thought and I think it would fit here.

Is there something like “IFTTT on premise”?
Maybe the “new rule interface” could be inspired by IFTTT.

I haven’t used IFTTT either. :laughing:

Currently bindings/addons release cycle is closely linked with openHAB release cycle.
Now, when there is a bug in binding and it gets fixed we have two options:

• manually install that binding
  • wait till next release of openHAB

I’ve started wondering: maybe add-ons/bindings could be separated from the main bundle?
Wouldn’t it be awesome if we could create, version and build each binding separately?
This would allow to quickly deploy fixes and new features.

Currently in Paper UI in bindings You see all bindings that are already there, all You must do is just enable them. Why not list bindings/add-ons/etc that are available to download?

Take a look at nuget, npm and others. Each binding is already built, it has dependencies listed, so it could be easily downloaded.
I know that bindings heavily relay on openHAB version, so each package should have minimum openHAB version requirement. This is how NuGet works - if You have a .NET 3.5 application You won’t see packages that require .NET 4.7.
Node-RED has this type of nodes management mechanism.

This behaviour would also allow UI to inform user about new version of bindings, so he could update it with single click.
Bindings/addons could be marked as prerelease so developers will be able to easy distribute new binding to testers, faster gather feedback and finally finish and release finished binding faster.

4 Likes