Using Hue Emulator to integrate Homey

Alongside Openhab2 I am using Homey in my setup.

Because the emulator can also trick Amazon echo etc. I was hoping I could do the same with Homey.
There is a Homey App (=Binding) to talk to a Hue Bridge.

Unfortunately it is not finding my OpenHab Hue Emulation.

I have installed the Binding, Configured items, and they also show op in /api/index.html
{"lights":{"PortiekS1_Switch":{"state":{"on":false,"bri":-1,"hue":0,"sat":0,"xy":[0.0,0.0],"ct":500,"alert":"none","effect":"none","colormode":"ct","reachable":true},"type":"Dimmable Light","name":"Portiek","modelid":"LWB004","uniqueid":"PortiekS1_Switch","manufacturername":"openHAB","swversion":"66009461","pointsymbol":{"1":"none","2":"none","3":"none","4":"none","5":"none","6":"none","7":"none","8":"none"}},"ZithoekS1_Switch":{"state":{"on":false,"bri":-1,"hue":0,"sat":0,"xy":[0.0,0.0],"ct":500,"alert":"none","effect":"none","colormode":"ct","reachable":true},"type":"Dimmable Light","name":"Zithoek Switch","modelid":"LWB004","uniqueid":"ZithoekS1_Switch","manufacturername":"openHAB","swversion":"66009461","pointsymbol":{"1":"none","2":"none","3":"none","4":"none","5":"none","6":"none","7":"none","8":"none"}}}}

So this part of the setup seems to work.
I have enabled pairing mode, and also explicity configured the discovery ip.

I have enabled logging to debug level.
08:47:46.992 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - 192.168.1.189: GET /api/discovery.xml
08:47:59.215 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - Device pairing enabled : false
08:47:59.235 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.io.hueemulation ] - ServiceEvent MODIFIED - {javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet}={service.pid=org.openhab.hueemulation, service.config.category=io, service.config.label=Hue Emulation, discoveryIp=192.168.1.198, component.name=org.openhab.hueemulation, component.id=199, pairingEnabled=false, service.config.description.uri=io:hueemulation, service.id=325, service.bundleid=212, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.io.hueemulation
08:48:05.729 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - Device pairing enabled : true
08:48:05.750 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.io.hueemulation ] - ServiceEvent MODIFIED - {javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet}={service.pid=org.openhab.hueemulation, service.config.category=io, service.config.label=Hue Emulation, discoveryIp=192.168.1.198, component.name=org.openhab.hueemulation, component.id=199, pairingEnabled=true, service.config.description.uri=io:hueemulation, service.id=325, service.bundleid=212, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.io.hueemulation
08:48:09.941 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - 192.168.1.189: GET /api/discovery.xml
08:48:38.656 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - 192.168.1.189: GET /api/index.html
08:56:47.241 [DEBUG] [ulation.internal.HueEmulationServlet] - Device pairing enabled : true
08:56:47.264 [DEBUG] [org.openhab.io.hueemulation ] - ServiceEvent MODIFIED - {javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet}={service.pid=org.openhab.hueemulation, service.config.category=io, service.config.label=Hue Emulation, discoveryIp=192.168.1.198, component.name=org.openhab.hueemulation, component.id=199, pairingEnabled=true, service.config.description.uri=io:hueemulation, service.id=325, service.bundleid=212, service.scope=bundle} - org.openhab.io.hueemulation

Other than my manual requests to /api/discovery.xml and /api/index.html I see nothing happeningen. Maybe the UPNP isn’t happening correctly? How can I check that. Also, I am seeing empty things in my discovery.xml. Should that be the case?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<root xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:device-1-0">
    <specVersion>
        <major>1</major>
        <minor>0</minor>
    </specVersion>
    <URLBase>http://192.168.1.198:8080/</URLBase>
    <device>
        <deviceType>urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:Basic:1</deviceType>
        <friendlyName>openHAB Hue Emulation</friendlyName>
        <manufacturer>Royal Philips Electronics</manufacturer>
        <manufacturerURL>http://www.philips.com</manufacturerURL>
        <modelDescription>Philips hue Personal Wireless Lighting</modelDescription>
        <modelName>Philips hue bridge 2015</modelName>
        <modelNumber>929000226503</modelNumber>
        <modelURL>http://www.meethue.com</modelURL>
        <serialNumber>0017880ae670</serialNumber>
        <UDN>uuid:e17bb69b-7965-4603-bea7-d9bef2aeb3fd</UDN>
        <serviceList>
            <service>
                <serviceType>(null)</serviceType>
                <serviceId>(null)</serviceId>
                <controlURL>(null)</controlURL>
                <eventSubURL>(null)</eventSubURL>
                <SCPDURL>(null)</SCPDURL>
         </service>
        </serviceList>
        <presentationURL>index.html</presentationURL>
        <iconList>
            <icon>
                <mimetype>image/png</mimetype>
                <height>48</height>
                <width>48</width>
                <depth>24</depth>
                <url>hue_logo_0.png</url>
            </icon>
            <icon>
                <mimetype>image/png</mimetype>
                <height>120</height>
                <width>120</width>
                <depth>24</depth>
                <url>hue_logo_3.png</url>
            </icon>
        </iconList>
    </device>
</root>
1 Like

Hi Raimond, (old IS college :wink:

I was just wondering as i see you have OpenHAB and a dutch Homey. What do you advice to choose if we leave out the costs because that won’t be fare compared to the RPI price.

Currently i am using Domoticz on a RPI and it works okay. But i am looking for something that communicates also with zigbee and the rest of the channels.
I have looked at the current 2018 version of openHAB and i still see the UI isn’t as user friendly as i hoped. Yes it is a huge step better than the first release but still , there’s a UI friendly gap compared to domoticz. What about Homey’s UI ?
Also openHAB and zigbee , what zigbee sender/receiver would be the best pick ? I have seen some USB sticks on the internet for about 70 Euro but they all have to be flashed first …

So can you tell something about your experience on openHab compared to Homey ect…

Thanks,
Michel Kamp

Hi Michel,

I haven’t used domoticz yet. I like te fact that I can do scripting and programming with openhab. And there are easy to use images such as openhabian.

Homey has advantages on the input/output side. Ready 2 go Zwave, Zigbee, Led ring, Microphone/Speech, NFC etc. However I think the “if-this-then-that” type of programming is to simple and cumbersome.
ZWave in Homey is somewhat limited, as you cannot do lowlevel configuration as I can do with bindings in OpenHab.

Unfortunately speech recognition is not optimal. But it does work in Dutch. (As opposed to Alexa for instance).

Currently I am mainly using homey as a “Front End” / Protocol Adapter using MQTT to communicate to OpenHab.
OpenHab is a lot more flexible. Easy of use and UI wise it is OK, but not optimal.
But I basically am doing things either fully automated, or via zwave switches on the wall. So I don’t actually use the UI that often :wink:

For Zigbee, I have no stick, I would use homey for that (but I only have Z-Wave at the moment).
For Z-Wave i have the Aeon Labs stick which works on RPi without special drivers.

Depending on the amount of protocols you want to support Homey might be interesting (because you don’t have to buy a lot of sticks and bridges). Otherwise just use an RPi.

Grtz,
Raimond

Raimond,

How do you communicate between Homey and OpenHAB?

Regards

I use mqtt via mosquitto deployed with openhabian. On both pltform there is a good mqtt binding

Can you give an example of how you do this?
What did you set up in OpenHab and what in Homey?