Using make (gcc?) in openhabian

I am following this tutorial on youtube to read from a DHT22 temp and humidity sensor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHTnU1T8ETk).
When I try to run make I get:

[21:39:34] pi@openHABianPi:~/PIGPIO$ make
-bash: make: command not found

I searched for how to install make. I think make is a part of the gcc tools? Can anyone tell me what I should install to get what I need? Obviously Openhabian is a headless server so I won’t need any gui tools.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

openhabian is sort of debian, so sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install make should do the trick…

I ran that and then I got an error “make: gcc: Command not found”

So I installed gcc too. Is that all that is needed to compile a program and will it interfere with openhab2 at all?

(I’m on the road) I believe what you are looking for is the meta package “build-essentials”

I tried:
[21:56:00] pi@openHABianPi:/etc/openhab2/items$ sudo apt-get install build-essentials
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package build-essentials

Is it listed as a different name?

*build-essential

Same result. Am I missing something in like a config file to reach a certain repository? That’s all I can think of that I am missing an entry or something.

[18:21:26] pi@openHABianPi:~/scripts$ sudo apt-get install *build-essential
[sudo] password for pi:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package *build-essential
E: Regex compilation error - Invalid preceding regular expression
E: Couldn’t find any package by regex ‘*build-essential’

Oh :sweat_smile: sorry, the asterisk is often used as an indicator for “correction”. What I wanted to say is “It’s not build-essentials” but “build-essential”. The asterisk is not part of the package name.

On a side note, you would have been quicker googling this: https://www.google.com/#q=build-essentials

So what you want to do is:

sudo apt install build-essential