Using openAI's chatbot to create rules for openHAB

I just had the idea to ask openAI’s chatbot to create an openHAB rule for me. And the result I got is pretty stunning:

Surprisingly it even provides more complex rules, or at least the basic idea of how it might work:

While it helps proving the basic idea for how a specific goal can be achieved, it sometimes provides wrong results that manually need to be corrected (either by doing it on your own or asking the bot to use a different approach)

I am not entirely sure if this is helpful or confusing as the results are sometimes not valid rules, especially once it become more complex.It might help to get a starting point though if you are completely lost.

7 Likes

I must say, this is completely insane.
This chat-gpt is truly astonishing.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this idea, this is very interesting.
(Now I want to play with it…)

2 Likes

wow it works pretty well for getting a start

wtf i just asked him to do a simple alarm system this is not my coding

rule "Alarm system with pincode and motion sensor notifications"
when
    Item MotionSensorGroup changed
then
    // Check if the alarm is already armed
    if (AlarmStatus.state == ARMED) {
        // Check which motion sensor triggered the alarm
        var String sensorName = MotionSensorGroup.members.findFirstMatch(member|member.state == ON).name

// Prompt the user for a pincode
        var String enteredPincode = prompt("Enter pincode:")

// Check if the entered pincode is correct
        if (enteredPincode == CorrectPincode.state as String) {
            // Pincode is correct, disarm the alarm
            AlarmStatus.sendCommand(DISARMED)

// Play a disarm sound
            playSound("disarm.mp3")

// Send a notification to the homeowner
            sendNotification("Alarm disarmed. Motion detected in " + sensorName)
        } else {
            // Pincode is incorrect, play a loud siren sound
            playSound("siren.mp3")

// Send a notification to the homeowner
            sendNotification("Incorrect pincode entered! Intruder detected in " + sensorName + " Check the security camera for more information.")

// Turn on all the lights in the house
            sendCommand(AllLights, ON)
        }
    }
end

I don’t think “prompt” is a valid command though… Also most likely the Lux-Sensor example should be “inverted” as it’s decreasing the brightness with decreasing ambient lighting, so you should have asked it to correct that :wink:

1 Like

i am impressed. look when you dont know where to start its a good kick.
Well for the lux i would send first 100 and then decrease it and if else off but still pretty good example also the alarm looks like a good start.

I also discover that Chat GPT can create openhab DSL rules and give a very good starting rule.
Same for Arduino’s board code…

This impressed me much

I have tested this part of functionality recently related to writing DSL rules
, it behaves quite well, I’m wondering how, apart from writing rules, it can be used in openhab

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.