Virtualization Software - Recommendation For Proxmox

Hi All i want to share something, i saw only one post regarding Proxmox so here it goes
i have switched my system from

1. my windows PC

2. another windows PC only for OH(let’s call it a server)
    this is where the change came

3. gave a try to VMWARE vsphere , very hard and not user-friendly + the need for a license

4. gave a try to docker but could not really understand what i am doing there (big learning curve)

5. Proxmox (Now)

• installed Proxmox from USB stick very straight forward nothing really to do in the install but to hit next
    but do watch some latest youtube video on how to install (for example for replication of two nodes you will need ZFS, i did not use this but seems very cool)
  • . connect to LAN , and open the web interface
  • . there you have allot of options to take pre-defined templates, i took ubuntu 16.04…(so i will have more google support :slight_smile: )
  • . because i was Windows user i did not have the option to migrate 100% so i rebuild it all almost from scratch

now comes the fun part

• Snapshots are so easy!!!
  • Back up is so easy
  • switching to another machine never been so easy
  • my system runs so smoothly almost not taking any resources

One point to make, i did not try the USB passthrough options, so i cannot testify if dongles will work

genral photo of the two nodes i have configred

going to CLI is so easy

some templates from the list…

for summary , very recommended and very easy , i am not system man , every issue was solved by simple google search , and the fix was not that complicated

My next steps:

1. Virtualization of my router
  2. try out homeassitent
  3. FreeNas

Good luck :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’ve run my production openHAB system now over a year with Proxmox and I haven’t had a single issue with it. USB passthrough work great as well (I have 4 USB devices). I also like backup features of the Proxmox. I take scheduled nightly backups from my system.

afaik for replication you will need at least three nodes.

ZFS is really cool, the downside is, you’ll need much more RAM for ZFS.
As a rule of thumb (don’t know if this is correct english, he he) you will need 1GByte RAM per TByte HDD space (exclusive for ZFS, so a machine with 12TByte HDD space will need at least 16GByte RAM to work properly, but you will have no space for some VMs)
My next server shall have about 24TByte HDD space, so 32GByte is maybe not enough anymore. Needless to say, ECC is a must have, but we’re talking about servers…

Is there an advantage to Proxmox vs Docker?

i think docker is container env…
proxmox can do containers + VMs

but to tell you the difference between a VM and a CT , this i am not sure, but i think some parts of the OS is shared in a CT env , wherein a VM it is a full virtual PC…

you can see the logic of sharing core resources… when you need to deploy a bunch of the same VM

i enjoy the backup options, i have no interest in the sharing for resources
in proxmox it is very easy to create snapshots or to transfer a VM , CT to another Proxmox install
and proxmox will run on almost anything , so each step i take i just backup … or make a snapshot you can also add another node, but this is for more adv users i have shut mine down…

I just switched to Proxmox also. I really like the UI and easy creation of containers. It took me less than an hour to set everything up from scratch. Starting from HD -> SSD swap and ending in having a clean proxmox install with a Debian 9 container running Zulu java and clean shapshot install of openHAB.

The reason i changed to proxmox is the easy backup of your containers. I havn’t had any good backup solutions running. Next step is to get another SSD and set up scheduled backups.

Edit#1

Finally after a long fight with google I got my old hd mounted straight to proxmox’s openHAB container. Now it’s just to transfer all my configs from old installation to new with few cp commands :partying_face:

1 Like