VPN choices

So VNC could be a good choice, if have an UI on your server.

Main reason to what a vpn setup is to log in remotely to my network and have other services also accessible of the internet. as i also have nvr running. and a file server from my home office.

If you have a VPN connection you are a part of your internal network.
In general you can do same as you were at home, except speed limited by up and download speed of your internet connections, max. speed is the upload speed of both connections.

will i be able to use my sub domain (example Dodgy.gotya.co.za)

If your sub domain points to the IP of your router it should work.
I have a Dyn DNS only, but should work similar.

openHABian now has an option to setup wireguard. It was recently released to the public and is still tagged BETA but it’s working fine on RPi.
I would like to get your feedback in general and specifically what you think needs improvement.

I haven’t tested on x86 but as you can install openHABian on Debian or Ubuntu as well you could try on your laptop or at least take the install code as a template or guideline to get it working there.

PS: it’s based on IP addresses so unrelated to your domain in the first place.
You will want to complement it with a DynDNS updater (that’s on my TODO list but I have not yet come across a good, universally applicable implementation).

Thank you will have a look.

i have tried to set it up. but it seems i cant get port 1194 forwarded to my internal ip.

So you have to forward port 1194 on the router to your internal IP:1194

Have you tried with an external IP?
Most routers do not allow looping from an internal network.

not sure how to test that.

I am testing port forwarding allways with help of my phones internet access.
I have then a second connection to the internet via phone’s SIM.
So I can test from “outside” …

currently i am on a remote site. so doing most of config via teamviewer.

Forwarding on your router looks fine.
Either your VPN server is not running / listening or your external IP is wrong.

Checked the external ip and that looks fine.
see attached.

Could it be that my isp is blocking the ports ? as if i use noip.net and check the port it is closed ?

In office we have a business internet connection where all ports are closed in general from our ISP.
For each service I have to instruct our ISP to open the according ports.

so this is a bust. as they want to charge me monthly for the ports forwarding.

For wireguard, you can define the port to run on, IIRC default is 51900. That you have to forward, too.

This is a shame, a few bucks for opening is okay, but a monthly fee is for me just to fleece a customer …