VSC extension issue with network

For some days now VSC keeps spitting errors like the one below
(I intentionally diabled and re-activated the extension, it’s latest version v1.0.0).

I’d guess the origin is the git stuff running on the Linux (openHABian) machine that I have network mounted to my desktop PC where VSC runs.
Linux does not know to interpret the r:… Windows style file name. r:/rules is /etc/openhab/rules there, but how do I tell it to use that ?

Is there any means to configure that sort of mapping or to enforce using just relative path names in the workspace settings so r:\ does not get forward propagated into the Linux world (of git, the LSP or whatever it is to spit this error) ?

openHAB vscode extension has been activated

[Error - 12:03:44] Request textDocument/documentSymbol failed.

  Message: Internal error.

  Code: -32603

java.util.concurrent.CompletionException: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl$1DiagnosticWrappedException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /r:/rules/Energiemanagement.rules (Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)

    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.encodeThrowable(Unknown Source)

    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.completeThrowable(Unknown Source)

    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$UniAccept.tryFire(Unknown Source)

    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.postComplete(Unknown Source)

    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture.completeExceptionally(Unknown Source)

    at org.eclipse.xtext.ide.server.concurrent.AbstractRequest.logAndCompleteExceptionally(AbstractRequest.java:73)

    at org.eclipse.xtext.ide.server.concurrent.ReadRequest.lambda$doRun$0(ReadRequest.java:69)

    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)

    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

    at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

    at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl$1DiagnosticWrappedException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /r:/rules/Energiemanagement.rules (Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)

    at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.handleDemandLoadException(ResourceSetImpl.java:319)

    at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.demandLoadHelper(ResourceSetImpl.java:278)

    at org.eclipse.xtext.resource.XtextResourceSet.getResource(XtextResourceSet.java:266)

    at org.eclipse.xtext.ide.server.ProjectManager.getResource(ProjectManager.java:169)

    at org.eclipse.xtext.ide.server.WorkspaceManager.doRead(WorkspaceManager.java:436)

    at org.eclipse.xtext.ide.server.LanguageServerImpl.documentSymbol(LanguageServerImpl.java:647)

    at org.eclipse.xtext.ide.server.LanguageServerImpl.lambda$documentSymbol$27(LanguageServerImpl.java:633)

    at org.eclipse.xtext.ide.server.concurrent.ReadRequest.lambda$doRun$0(ReadRequest.java:66)

    ... 5 more

Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /r:/rules/Energiemanagement.rules (Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)

    at java.base/java.io.FileInputStream.open0(Native Method)

    at java.base/java.io.FileInputStream.open(Unknown Source)

    at java.base/java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)

    at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.FileURIHandlerImpl.createInputStream(FileURIHandlerImpl.java:99)

    at org.eclipse.xtext.resource.ExternalContentSupport$ExternalContentAwareURIHandler.createInputStream(ExternalContentSupport.java:75)

    at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ExtensibleURIConverterImpl.createInputStream(ExtensibleURIConverterImpl.java:360)

    at org.eclipse.xtext.resource.XtextResourceSet$1.createInputStream(XtextResourceSet.java:299)

    at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceImpl.load(ResourceImpl.java:1314)

    at org.eclipse.xtext.resource.persistence.StorageAwareResource.load(StorageAwareResource.java:64)

    at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.demandLoad(ResourceSetImpl.java:259)

    at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.ResourceSetImpl.demandLoadHelper(ResourceSetImpl.java:274)

    ... 11 more

[Error - 12:03:45] Request textDocument/hover failed.

  Message: Internal error.

  Code: -32603

This is LSP related ans known for a long time.
I think it is caused by the remote LSP part which of course does not know about how the files are locally opened in vscode.
You can find several threads with that error number here.

Unfortunately there is no solution available so far.
I have checked if we can configure the remote LSP here a while ago but didn’t find such a setting.

Also I think no one of the originally LSP devs is maintaining this on extension or core side any longer.

Would you be able to open a GitHub issue against openhab-core ?
maybe any of the current core devs can fix it?
Not sure if it’s the right approach but given you’ve created the client side and have already investigated this, you’re the only one capable of properly discussing it with anyone to find a solution and the right place to fix it.
I’d guess our current core devs are smart enough to do that but likely just unaware of the issue.

That’s the problem.
I did not implement LSP.
This was a big one time contribution and this topic is really out of my scope.
I made several attempts to dig into LSP myself, to improve thesituation but to be honest.
I simply gave up.

This would need so much time for me to understand and go down the rabbit-hole that i decided to not waste my time and invest it for other openHAB things.

I am not sure if there are issues in core availabl already.
Last little fixes where done by @wborn a while ago. We may ask him here or over ther in the github core repository.