[W-LAN] Setup with 2 networks

I have Ubuntu Server 18.04.1 loaded onto a Dell desktop with OpenHAB 2.0 installed on top of that. The machine has internet access via a wired Ethernet connection. I want to connect it directly to a wireless access point that will serve to connect all of my wireless automation devices (a separate network than my general home use wifi network). How do I configure this? Again I have Ubuntu Server, w/out a GUI installed (and am a bit green on Linux programming…).

Thanks in advance

• Platform information:
    • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu 8
    • openHAB version: 2.0

openHAB 2.0 ? that’s a bit old (maybe 2.3.0 ?)

I don’t understand your question: Isn’t the WLAN Acces Point a part of your local network already?
The PC doesn’t have direct access to it (and more importantly: its clients) via the LAN Switch that both are? connected to?

You don’t have to physically separate the network elements. You can use different VLANs or IP Subnets.

If you are not very familiar with networking… keep everything on the same (W)LAN… it will make your life easier…

You’re correct, 2.3.0. I just installed the newest stable runtime version via an APT repository…

I’m also not a network pro, so maybe I’m missing something obvious. But I’m going to connect a separate WLAN access point to have a home automation network in parallel with my general use network. I want to separate the traffic as I have kids who love youtube and will install a few cameras on the automation network. Hopefully this manages WLAN traffic issues a bit and gives me additional security. I figured I’d connect that separate WLAN access point directly to the OpenHAB server, via an additional NIC.

Of course you can do this (2nd NIC and a separate WLAN with a dedicated AP for IoT/HA) (your worries are justified but the implementation is not really worth it imho)

the cost/benefit ratio is bad :slight_smile:

If you are worried about security, you could consider VLANs on the LAN Switch and 2 SSIDs on the AP (but you need a Switch and an AP that supports this stuff)

Don’t worry about bandwidth… most modern APs have more than enough to handle all kinds of payloads (youtube, cameras, etc). Having 2 separate APs will also create 2.4GHz interference and you may end up with worse results than having one unified WLAN network.