Weather add-on no longer working with ApiXU

Hi, new user here. I’m trying to get my feet wet (after auto finding some things in the paperUI) with a service, and I thought displaying weather info might be nice. I chose the ApiXU provider, which now apparently redirects to Weatherstack.

However, I’m finding the weather add-on is throwing an error - as far as I can tell, my configuration is correct. Putting logging to ‘trace’, I see:

2020-11-11 16:34:16.091 [DEBUG] [eather.internal.scheduler.WeatherJob] - Starting Weather job for location ‘home’
2020-11-11 16:34:16.105 [TRACE] [nal.provider.AbstractWeatherProvider] - APIXU[home]: request : https://api.apixu.com/v1/current.json?key=efe39xxxxxxxxxxxx&lang=en&q=12.xx,70.xx
2020-11-11 16:34:17.528 [TRACE] [nal.provider.AbstractWeatherProvider] - APIXU[home]: response: error code: 1010
2020-11-11 16:34:17.755 [ERROR] [nal.provider.AbstractWeatherProvider] - APIXU: Unrecognized token ‘error’: was expecting (‘true’, ‘false’ or ‘null’)
at [Source: error code: 1010; line: 1, column: 6]
2020-11-11 16:34:17.975 [ERROR] [eather.internal.scheduler.WeatherJob] - Unrecognized token ‘error’: was expecting (‘true’, ‘false’ or ‘null’)
com.fasterxml.jackson.core.JsonParseException: Unrecognized token ‘error’: was expecting (‘true’, ‘false’ or ‘null’)

Running the REST call in the browser returns:

{
“0”: “#################################################################################################################################”,
“1”: “# #”,
“2”: “# IMPORTANT - PLEASE UPDATE YOUR API ENDPOINT #”,
“3”: “# #”,
“4”: “# This API endpoint is deprecated and has now been shut down. To keep using the apixu API, please update your integration #”,
“5”: “# to use the new weatherstack API endpoint, designed as a simple drop-in replacement. #”,
“6”: “# You will be required to create an account at https://weatherstack.com and obtain an API access key. #”,
“7”: “# #”,
“8”: “# For more information on how to upgrade please visit our Github Tutorial at: https://github.com/apilayer/weatherstack#readme #”,
“9”: “# #”,
“a”: “#################################################################################################################################”
}

Going to api.weatherstack.com, I see they do have a RESTful interface, but it’s different (of course!) than the one that ApiXU used.

As a newbie…is this something that I just mention here in the forums and…that’s it? Switch to a different provider? Or is there a better way to report an issue?

Thanks!

Issues are best reported on GitHub. not all developers are here in this user forum.

The weather binding is an old v1 version and will not even function with openHAB3, the next major release.

Hi, Bruce. Thanks for the pointer, I’ll go ahead and post it on GitHub then.

Are there any “better” weather bindings for v2 (that are also preparing for v3), then, instead of the one I selected? Is there a way to tell whether one is using an old binding or an up to date one when selecting from the list of bindings in paperui?

Thanks again!

There are a few provider-specific ones depending on your region.

I thought darksky but since Apple bought them the API will be discontinued.

Looking at the online docs to see what a binding is about before installing is probably a good idea here.

I don’t suppose anyone is updating that with “no longer works” for particular providers though, here’s your contribution :wink:

Yes, looking at the docs would be helpful, if it was noted anywhere (a) what version of the binding one is reading about, and/or (b) what problems there are with the binding (or specific providers in this case).

I assume that there’s no standard in the online-docs where one would put the version that this applies to anywhere? At least, I don’t see it (am I missing it somewhere?) For example, if anywhere on that page it said the latest version was 1.14.0, that would at least be a hint that this might not be a “latest and greatest” binding…

Look at the URL. The v1 bindings have a 1 at the end. The page heading also shows v1.

Ah HA! Thanks for pointing that out, must have had page blindness there…

1 Like

Weather v1 remains the latest and greatest version of the Weather binding. There is no Weather v2.

Instead, they adopted a different approach with bindings individually tailored to a particular service,

1 Like

OK, thanks. I kind of like the approach of v1 - standardize the binding and give you different providers so you could “play around” and see what was the best fit - but of course the change is a design decision that’s easy to understand as well.

1 Like