Web Socket Error on AmazonEchoControl binding every 65 seconds

I can’t believe I missed that post! Checking right now and will report back on that thread.

Thank you so, so very much for your ongoing incredible efforts and hard work updating and maintaining the binding!

One of the things I don’t understand about this was that a bunch of my zwave devices had stopped working??? As soon as I fixed this binding, they all began to work again. I guess here in the US wifi and zwave share frequencies? That is part of why it took awhile to figure out what was wrong. In hindsight I also realized my laptop (which only had a wifi connection) had also become really slow.

As far as openHAB is involved, I think that probably depending on the individual system and the available resources, the excessive thread creation might already have had impact on other bindings before the OOM-exception was thrown.

I don‘t know enough about zwave to judge whether a broken/misfunctioning zwave binding could affect your WiFi.

I don’t think this has any specific relation to wifi and z-wave, but is more general. The amazon echo control binding was causing OH to run out of memory, so everything was then potentially affected.

1 Like

I was using <speak><audio src="soundbank://soundlibrary/home/amzn_sfx_doorbell_chime_01"/> <amazon:emotion name="excited" intensity="high">Someone at the Door!!</emphasis></amazon:emotion></speak> successfully before the patch but now it just skips the audio link… Would be great to get that functionality back.

1 Like

I didn‘t change anything in that part. Which version did you use before? Maybe another change before already broke it.

1 Like

Hi,

you wrote sound and effect wont work and emotion and break work well. But it seems sound and emotion wont work and effect and break work well. I tested effect wispher and it does work. I ask only to be clear if you maybe confused effect and emotion?!?

Br,

Trinitus01 - Tom

Hi,

maybe i found the reason. However i got it work with tts item but not with announcement item. Did you send the command you provided via tts or announcement? In the current version a tts with a speak-tag is automatically converted to an announcement. I don’t know why the developer decided to convert tts to announcement if the string starts with a speak-tag, but one reason could be that tts was not able to handle SSML in the past. Now it is able but announcement is only able to handle effect and break but no sound or emotion anymore. I also checked the behaviour of the alexa-remote-control shell script and it acts the same way. I think tts should not convert a tts to an announcement because announcements act in a different way. For example it force an echo with a display or a fire tv cube to show a message, not only a voice output else if you set an empty string to the text.
One more question is if you used the last version before you switched to the patched version?

Br,

Trinitus01 - Tom

That worked for me. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the instructions, Thomas. So far, so good…

There was one part I did a bit different: Instead of renaming the Amazon bundle, I just stopped the release bundle, then started the snapshot bundle. I did this because I want to keep track of both versions in the console. There may be later snapshots that are needed or a new stable bundle.

I appreciate your help!

I fixed everything like described here last week. And every works stable. I just had a look at my RAM consumption over the last 7 days and I must say still increasing slowly…

But may be caused by another issue.
Do others see this also?

Yep, same here, after updating to 2.5.6 its increasing very slowly instead of the memory increase with 2.5.5

oh bummer. Just based on the feedback of the others, I thought this problem can be fixed easily. Here is a new jar as well as instructions…
I followed the instructions, but without success. I still have my “web Socket error”. So something is wrong here, and I have no idea where to look next.
I tried different constellations, but this one is the last that failed.
(I am running 2.5.5-1 on ubuntu-lxc container).

• removed the things.
  • uninstalled the control binding 2.5.5.
  • stop openhab
  • clean cache
  • start openhab
  • stop openhab
  • upgrade from 2.5.5-1 to 2.5.6-2 via openhabian
  • stop openhab
  • clean cache
  • start openhab
  • restart openhab
  • stop openhab
  • drop the new jar (from post 316) and wait for the success log
  • restart openhab
  • stop openhab
  • clean cache
  • start openhab
  • restart openhab
  • bundle:install Gson 2.8.5 and wait 4min
  • restart openhab
  • add new account-thing
  • add an echo

still web socket errors after 65sec.

I have the log in trace-detail, just don’t want to put that here, it’s very detailed…
What can I do?

@papaPhiL, perhaps J-N-K’s patched binding isn’t installed correctly. Reconfirm it is running:

1. Start OpenHAB2’s Console CLI:
    openhab-cli console

2. Resize/maximize the console window for long line lengths.

3. Check the amazonechocontrol-2.5.6-SNAPSHOT binding’s version, as follows:
    list | grep -i amazon

Confirm it reports the correct version. The latest non-beta release should show this:
Active x 80 x 2.5.6.202006201447 x openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: Amazon Echo Control Binding

If the version is correct then I’m out of ideas.

• Thomas

2.5.6 contains the patch. No need to do anything. And why the hell fo you all try to install Gson 2.8.5? This is NOT necessary unless you run openHAB <2.5.0.

2 Likes

Hmm, I missed that, sorry.
But ok, I went back to a backup and removed the things, uninstalled the binding, cleaned the cache, restarted openhab until it is fully working, then upgraded to 2.5.6 using openhabian, installed the binding with the webGUI and have said version active:

Problem solved. Thanks!

1 Like

Now I am confused. As far as I know, the audio tag is not supported. ( See post here )
Found in the forum that this never worked. Wondering why it is/was working for you. ?

Audio Tag in announcement doesnt work, i am also confused it should work before. However a fix for tts is on its way.

1 Like

Hi guys
How do I install the fix?
The link does not contain the file:
org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol-2.5.6-fix-leaks-fix-connection

2.5.6 release contains the fix.