[SOLVED] Website not working

What about the logs?

Have you tried the old “reboot everything” gimmick?

I was also going to say that it takes a good long while for openHAB to boot all the way up to the point of presenting any UIs (tons of Java stuff) (as opposed to just the service being started in Linux) but from your quote it looks like you waited like an hour and a half already.

Not sure what else to look into without more info. So yeah, like Miguel said, logs…

Somebody that installed the addons package had a similar issue.

I have rebooted the server multiple times. Even start and stopped the service.
The openhab log, however, is remarkable emtpy…this is all it has.

2019-12-24 21:05:06.075 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started Dashboard at http://192.168.178.23:8080
2019-12-24 21:05:06.311 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started Dashboard at https://192.168.178.23:8443
2019-12-24 21:05:09.128 [INFO ] [thome.model.lsp.internal.ModelServer] - Started Language Server Protocol (LSP) service on port 5007
2019-12-24 21:06:14.278 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Stopped Dashboard
2019-12-24 22:52:09.244 [INFO ] [thome.model.lsp.internal.ModelServer] - Started Language Server Protocol (LSP) service on port 5007
2019-12-24 23:21:33.164 [INFO ] [thome.model.lsp.internal.ModelServer] - Started Language Server Protocol (LSP) service on port 5007

Would be nice to get this going on Xmas day :slight_smile:

I would give two tips just to make sure you are getting the response from openHAB.

1. Connect to your web browser on port 8080 not the response.
    2 shutdown openHAB service and try to connect again see if response changes.

My reason for this would be to verify that openHAB is what’s responding on port 8080. We want to make sure another service is not responding. If it were then telling you that start/index does not exist would be true.

Let’s see if we can get you what you want for Christmas. :smiley:

Why does it start 2 dashboards on 2 different ports, and then stop one of them? Is this normal behavior?

I think this is normal,:thinking: as one port is for http and the other is https.

@nc1264 Make sure you are not trying to connect using IPv6, I’ve read else where it can cause issues.

Can you point me to these discussions? I use IPv6 as much as possible and haven’t encountered any problems beside misconfigurations. From wan side my system is only accessible with IPv6.

I didn’t bookmark them, just remembered reading that changing to IPv4 solved the issue. Honestly can’t remember if the issue was website related or not just thought I would throw it out there as somthing OP could consider/try if nothing else is working.

I will try and remember to send you a link when/if I run across a post related to IPv6 and issues.

1 Like

Hello,
I’m brand new to OpenHAB but I am an experienced Linux admin.

I did an installation of OpenHAB 2.5.0 on an Ubuntu server 18.04.3 today using the following procedures:

1. Installed zulu-8 x64 using apt repository as described here https://docs.azul.com/zulu/zuludocs/ZuluUserGuide/InstallingZulu/InstallOnLinuxUsingAPTRepository.htm
  2. Installed OpenHAB through the stable apt repository as described here: https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/linux.html

Result: I have exactly the same issue as described in this thread:
HTTP ERROR 404
Problem accessing /start/index. Reason:
Not Found

with a very limited log similar to that of nc1264 with the info line
[INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Stopped Dashboard

I’ve spend 3 hours looking around the internet and tried everything already (restart service, machine, cleared cache, …).
Nothing works. And this should be a non-complicated install. I’m not migrating any data here: it’s a clean first-time install.

Because I’m on a VM and took a snapshot before installing :-), I rolled-back anc installed exactly the same setup but with OpenHAB 2.4.0-1
–> worked like a charm out of the box !!!

I’ve upgraded it to 2.5.0 and exactly the same as before.

Does anybody have a working (clean) OpenHAB 2.5 with zulu-8 on Ubuntu server 18.04.3? I’m starting to think this particular combination has an issue.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Actually looking forward to working with OpenHAB.

1 Like

Helluva first post. :smiley: Welcome!

Yeah, maybe something is going on with that combination.

And yeah, you are going to love it. Hang in there through the learning curve though. You get your head around the relationships between items, channels, things, etc.?

The other thing is that there are multiple different ways to do things, multiple interfaces, and they are not all exactly the same (feature parity).

Those were probably my two biggest stumbling blocks, especially the latter. But maybe you are smarter than me. :smiley:

Well worth the payoff though.

@nc1264,

OK, it seems that a potential workaround has been discovered in the following posts in a related thread:

Can you also test and confirm that fixes it for you as well?

2 Likes

Apparently some people have installed the bindings package causing issues. It is normally not needed. IT is only for systems unable to access the public Internet to update.

TRS-80,

I ran the commands you mentioned and low and behold…the website is up and running!
Thank you very much for your help. I would not have found this myself.

I haven’t installed the addons yet…but I will certainly try it. At least now I know how to resolve this.

Regards,

Ron

You do not really need the addons package. Just install whatever addons you need and they will get downloaded and installed.

Perhaps mark my answer then as the solution, so anyone else searching for the same thing can find it quickly and easily. You will see what that does is make that post appear prominently at the top of the thread, right under your OP and marked as the solution.

Well, you have the right attitude.

I only started using GNU/Linux about 3 years ago myself. By now I don’t even own a single machine that so much as dual boots Windows any more. And I’ve never been happier. Funny how everything “just works” when you make your operating system free and open from the outset and based on free and open standard protocols when communicating with other devices (instead of proprietary lock-in nonsense). It has been very refreshing! Also not having to read/agree to creepy, anxiety inducing 20 page EULAs (does anyone actually read those?).

Anyway, I digress…

If you need any help with GNU/Linux specifically, feel free to let me know. Make a forum post though so everyone can benefit. I recall that there were a few things in the beginning that took me a while to get my head around conceptually, but once you do, everything will start to fall into place.

Learn what man pages are, and read them. Most commands also have a --help option.

There is also ##linux on Freenode which is IRC. That is where the real wizards hang out. You can go in there any time of the day or night and find around 1,600 people hanging out, at least a couple of which will usually be willing to help you if you are stuck on something. It’s wonderful.

The sense of community in F/LOSS (of which openHAB is also a part) is simply amazing. Such a wonderful warm and fuzzy feeling. :slight_smile: Such a stark contrast to proprietary alternatives!

1 Like

Hi TRS-80,

I have a long way to go. I started with Macs when was young (I’m old) and went over to Windows. I started using Linux as I had some spare laptops en rasberry machines that I wanted to make use of. It’s been entertaining and and a of Google searches.

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,
Ron

I have started a test system to try and verify the issue with the addons package.

EDIT: Verified behavior. The dashboard starts, LSP starts, and then the dashboard is stopped. I will try to isolate & troubleshoot further but I am not sure what time I have today to work on this.

EDIT2: As a workaround, using sudo apt remove to uninstall the bindings AND openhab and then using sudo apt-get install to reinstall openHAB gets the system functional.
Further troubleshooting is needed to determine at what version the process broke.

EDIT3: Milestone 3 fresh install is broken

EDIT4: Milestone 1 fresh install web works with errors Now trying M2 upgrade.

EDIT5: Upgradiing to M2 & M3 appear to work, More fresh installs needed.

EDIT6: Milestone 2 and later fresh installs appear to be broken.

1 Like

CONFIRMING THIS IS A SOLUTION!

I had the same issue as the post entails;

Installed via stable repo (using Raspbian Buster)

sudo apt-get install openhab2 && sudo apt-get install openhab2-addons

Started the service; I was given the Error 404 page as described above.

Running sudo purge openhab2 openhab2-addons && sudo apt install openhab2 removed and reinstalled everything; it appears the openhab2-addons is causing issues; log file showing the dashboard running @ localhost:8080.
Dashboard log @ /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log:
2020-01-05 08:26:20.665 [INFO ] [.dashboard.internal.DashboardService] - Started Dashboard at http://192.168.1.77:8080

I noticed that with addons, the dashboard service is NOT logged; only the language server on port 5007 is logged <— No idea what this is (._.’ )

Language server log:
INFO ] [thome.model.lsp.internal.ModelServer] - Started Language Server Protocol (LSP) service on port 5007

In my experience the earlier workaround, for some reason, only started the initial dashboard for about a minute. If you are quick enough selecting an initial package, things work properly.

My workaround is based on developer troubleshooting. This will be resolved in 2.5.1 hopefully released later this month. The newer version also will allow for future addon updates separate from OH core. there are no more updates planned for OH2 core.