Wemo Motion - Received update of a not accepted type (OnOffType) for item Motion_3FC

I am having issues with the Wemo Motion. Any insight? Thank you. :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s the item:
Contact Motion_3FC ā€œMotion Bureauā€ (gN380, Motion) {wemo=ā€œSensor-1_0-221219L01013FCā€}

Log file:
09:29:03.025 [DEBUG] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:123 ] - Wemo item ā€˜Motion_3FCā€™ state will be updated
09:29:03.232 [DEBUG] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:472 ] - New binary state ā€˜0ā€™ for item ā€˜Motion_3FCā€™ received
09:29:03.232 [DEBUG] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:123 ] - Wemo item ā€˜Plug_378ā€™ state will be updated
09:29:03.232 [DEBUG] [ore.internal.items.ItemUpdater:73 ] - Received update of a not accepted type (OnOffType) for item Motion_3FC
09:29:03.247 [DEBUG] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:472 ] - New binary state ā€˜1ā€™ for item ā€˜Plug_378ā€™ received
09:30:03.248 [DEBUG] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:118 ] - execute() method is called!
09:30:03.248 [DEBUG] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:123 ] - Wemo item ā€˜Motion_3FCā€™ state will be updated
09:30:03.282 [DEBUG] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:472 ] - New binary state ā€˜1ā€™ for item ā€˜Motion_3FCā€™ received
09:30:03.282 [DEBUG] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:123 ] - Wemo item ā€˜Plug_378ā€™ state will be updated
09:30:03.282 [DEBUG] [ore.internal.items.ItemUpdater:73 ] - Received update of a not accepted type (OnOffType) for item Motion_3FC

Wrong Item type, it has to be a switch Item, thats what I wrote in the doku :slight_smile:

Alright, tried that too with no luckā€¦
item file:
Switch Motion_3FC ā€œMotion Bureauā€ (gN380, Motion) {wemo=ā€œSensor-1_0-221219L01013FC:sensorā€}

Log file:
13:04:23.666 [INFO ] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:376 ] - Wemo Device with UDN ā€˜Sensor-1_0-221219L01013FCā€™ discovered
13:04:23.666 [DEBUG] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:359 ] - Receive SSDP Message.
13:04:23.667 [INFO ] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:376 ] - Wemo Device with UDN ā€˜Socket-1_0-221215K0100378ā€™ discovered
13:04:23.668 [DEBUG] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:359 ] - Receive SSDP Message.
13:04:23.668 [INFO ] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:376 ] - Wemo Device with UDN ā€˜Maker-1_0-221519S00002F4:sensor:switchā€™ discovered
13:04:24.668 [DEBUG] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:383 ] - Message receive timed out.
13:04:24.669 [DEBUG] [.o.b.wemo.internal.WemoBinding:472 ] - New binary state ā€˜nullā€™ for item ā€˜Motion_3FCā€™ received

As you can see I now get the state null regardless of motion or not, where previously I was getting a 0 or 1 depending on the actual motion sensor state. You mention the doku. Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™m not missing something? I went to the Github wiki for wemo binding and the example posted there does use the Contact for the Motion sensorā€¦
Hereā€™s what I found in the Wiki:
Contact Motion1 {wemo=ā€œSensor-1-0-56437891ā€}

Thank you,

Ok, making progressā€¦ Noticed that I had :sensor in my item config. Removed that it itā€™s now working as a switch.

Sorry again, I was mixing oh1 and oh2. In oh2 it has to be a switch.

Maybe I should switch to oh2. :smiley:

Indeed, especially, on behalf of WeMo Motion sensor, oh2 uses subscriptions so will be informed by motion sensor, no polling needed.

But there are many more benefits to explore ā€¦ :wink:

You tell me what I should do and Iā€™ll follow your advice, but hereā€™s my thinking for going with 1.8.
I had started with 2.0 originally and as I was learning, I found many documentation unfinished.Which is totally understandable considering itā€™s in beta version. As a totally green newbie, I didnā€™t really know where to start and some of the documentation actually referred to 1.8 differences and I didnā€™t even know what they were talking about since I didnā€™t know 1.8 either. So I figured I would get to know 1.8 and once comfortable with it, make the switch to 2.0. Iā€™ve learned a heck of a lot in the last week or so. But Iā€™m also guiding students that are right behind me and Iā€™m often guiding them to the online documentation as a way of learning. And since the 2.0 documentation isnā€™t complete, itā€™s holding me back a bit.

What are your thoughts?

Okay, just my 2 cents here.

As an openHAB user since 1.3, I still have my productive system running on openHAB 1.8.3, but besides this, I also have another server running openHAB 2.0 for testing and developing. I am just missing time to move everything over to 2.0. But next holidays are coming and there will be some time.

I wrote about benefits before, so for example the WeMo binding. When I started to write the binding, I faced strong issues with WeMoā€™s UPnP implementation, resulting in some limitations in my code (missing subscription handling etc.)
With openHAB 2.0 and its JUPnP implementation, I could make use of it and even add more functionality to the binding, still needed to implement some workarounds.

And as you can see, there are even more features to come which will be available in openHAB 2.0, but will not be backported to 1.x.

I get your point about documentation, but @rlkoshak and @ThomDietrich are doing an excellent job here and we need you all with your questions to realise, were documentation needs improvement.
Sometimes I see questions in this forum I never thought of and without asking them, nobody would have answered or documented.

So all I can do is encourage you to give openHAB 2.0 a try and tell us, were the software or the documentation needs improvement.

Best
Hans-Jƶrg

That sounds good to me. I will setup another system on 2.0 and start learning. I enjoy participating in the creation of ā€œstuffā€ so if my questions can help in the development, I can definitely do that. :slight_smile:

I will start a new thread to describe what we are doing since the original title no longer fits this discussion.

:+1: