What am I missing in configuring EXPIRE in OH3 UI?

I’m undoubtedly missing something obvious, but can’t seem to figure out how to do what I expect is a simple thing: To have a device (in this case a zigbee wall outlet switch) turn off a specified time after it comes on, every time it comes on.
I’ve read this: Items | openHAB

But it still eludes me where exactly I can add the expire parameter to an item. If I go to the Thing/channel configuration that represents the switch there is something called “Auto OFF Time - Time in 100ms steps to automatically turn off when sent with timed command” which seems to have no effect and for which I can find no documentation.

In the items.html above, it says:
There are two methods for defining Items:

1. Through UI
  2. Through text .items files located in the $OPENHAB_CONF/items folder. Files here must have the extension .items; you may create as many .items files as needed. However, each Item must be unique across all .items files.

On my OpenHABian 3.0 system the items folder in the conf samba share is empty. And as I said, I’m having a devil of a time finding a place to define it in the UI.

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: CPUArchitecture/RAM/storage rPi 4, 4GB, 32GB
    • OS: what OS is used and which version OpenHABian 3.0 (release build)

Thanks,
Matt

• Go to Items
  • Click on your Item from the list
  • Click on Add Metadata
  • Choose Expire
2 Likes

Doh! Thanks!

A note of caution about using ‘expire’ for this kind of purpose.

Expire timer will reset and start again when the subject Item receives any update.
That would include periodic routine status reports from smart devices like zigbee or zwave that say “I’m still on”.