What are the suggested starting configuration?

I know this must have been asked a million times but I could locate the answer so here it is.

After bringing up openHABian for the first time on an RPI3, what are the must have or should have installation items from the Configuration Tool?

From my trial and error it seems you actually don’t have to do anything and can proceed directly to the web interface and choose your the package and off you go. I feel though there are some must have or at least some strongly recommended items/configurations that ever installs should have.

For what its worth, my goal is to migrate the 70+ devices (z-wave, zigbee, lan) devices off ST to openHAB.

Thanks!

Use the Configuration tool to set up openhab to suit your needs.

Yep, that’s how easy it is. Looking at your goal I would suggest using PaperUI at a minimum and doing all your configuration in the items, rules, things, etc…file that located at /etc/openhab2.

Also, get your samba share set up and use VSCODE with the Openhab add-on. You can thank me later.:wink:

Welcome to Openhab and best of luck.:sunglasses:

Must haves depend on your devices. In your case I believe its z-wave, zigbee bindings. By LAN you mean computers? Then network binding, wake on lan binding. Linux level must haves are already taken care by openhabian scripts.

What about things like reverse proxy and Amanda Backup?

Also, it looks like I can configure things with PaperUI but it doesn’t generate .item files which are needed so you can add tags so which are required by Amazon Echo.

I was able to access the file shares on the RPI3 from my Windows laptop without configuring anything on the RPI3. Does this mean the samba shares are created as part of the default install?

Yes, installed by default, you can use sudo openhabian-config to change password of samba.

Either set these up, or proceed with initial OH configuration. Just don’t forget about those. There will not be any reminder, so it’s safer to get that part done first.

Right, your can use either Paper UI or create .items files yourself with a text editor.

I suggest you start reading up on the OH docs next.

There’s a demo set of OH config files somewhere, play with editing them to get a first idea before you start creating your own.